Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Get Gigs For Your Band

Options
  • 26-05-2005 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

here's a brief bit on how to get gigs:

Record a demo, have on it a track listing, a contact number and the band members and their instruments. Have unlimited copies of this to be given for free. Doesn't have to be any production values, a recordable cd will work, but obviously depending on who you're trying to impress (general public, small time promoter, record label etc..) you may want to consider printing etc.. [A demo usually has three tracks. Preferably all strong tracks, but the third should be a bit different than the other two to show some range]

The internet is a good place to start, some treads like http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=a738e44d6876d784a7e67ddfff 1be85c&t=15856 will give you contacts to get started. Ask about in music shops (they know everyone!!) and at gigs. Get numbers and give them a call. [DONT JUST SEND A CD!]

First!!!! Introduce yourself, your band, how you got their number and why you are ringing!! If you don't do this straight away you're likley to piss them off as they get calls like this the whole time and if they've to ask, there's a reason to dislike you.
    Then.. Build you're band up however you can. Then if you have transport or equipment, offer to bring it if given a gig. Tell them you'll advertise the gig.. etc, etc.. [It's a two way swop here, not just you asking for them to give you something just because you asked!!!!!!!!]
    Finally.. get their address off them personally to send a cd. They don't have to make a decision then as to whether to give you a gig. Leave them the time to recieve your demo and listen to it. [If you press for a gig there and then, they just say no. It's that simple. Can you even imagine them saying yes in that situation? They may not even know if they can give a gig right then.]

Send the demo and wait for a reply. Do this enough times and your sure to get a few gigs out of it. If a person doesn't get back to you about a demo, there not much point contacting them. It's a loss that as i said before you should not have to care about. It's only a demo used for these purposes [EXPENDABLE]. Not like you sent him an album that cost months in a studio etc..

Likely what will happen is they won't throw out the cd. Most people won't. That means that anytime they decide on a line-up, your band may come to mind so you may eventually hear for them, even if it takes a year sometimes. Also if they don't want you to play, they won't ring you, that's probably why you shouldn't ring.

And so you can trust what i say [maybe it doesn't ring true to you, i dunno] I know this because i've been doing gigs for 4 years. But i don't want you all ringing me, so i'm not going to give my number here..

P.s. GigSmart .... ANTI-POP ... SMDF ... CPU .. Blast .. HWCH ..etc ad nausea

Advertisement