Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Munch Cyclops

Options
  • 26-05-2005 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Remember the Cyclops on the back of Monster Munch? Was there ever any other monster that appeared on the packets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you got one of the other flavours, they had different monsters on them. Afaik though they only ever sold the one flavour in ROI, the others were/are available in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

That explains it. What other flavours were we missing out on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i believe there was a cheese n onion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Ah, the good awld cyclops I remember him well... i remember getting Hot and Spicy flavour in Newry but can't remember the monster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Ah Cyclops.. Legend of a crisp packet.
    I always checked, JUST in case..
    Memories cheers for that, loved reading about him. Every singe time.

"he ate 2 sailors for breakfast, 4 for dinner and 1 for supper" !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

You can still get them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Yeah they changed them a few years ago, became smaller and a more spicy flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Mighty Munch is the kinda spicy alternative Tayto crisp, but Walkers still sell 'Monster Munch', but they're not as nice as they were back in the day!

I remember having one of the other flavours in Dublin during the 80s @ Cornelscourt Dunnes Stores - it *might* have been when Santa used to arrive in a helicopter and throw sweets out. :rolleyes:

Space Invaders, now THERE'S some quality crisps, or Meanies, mmmm pickled onion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I remember the auld cyclops well. Haven't eaten a packet since the 80's put I am still picking bits of monster munch from my teeth today, almost as bad as chickateese

Sam spudz also had little cartoons on the packs. Ms Mc Greedy has some little tale too. Rancheros had famous cowboys.

TCamen wrote:
    Space Invaders, now THERE'S some quality crisps, or Meanies, mmmm pickled onion. :D
    I think they were alien spacers, and they were amazing, until they changed them also into that "stick in your teeth snack", the acidity of the pickled onion flavour would scorch your mouth, they were painfully nice to eat.

King Crunchos hot dog flavour were nice, they disappeared for a while and came back, but again were a crappy stick in the teeth type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yeah, Alien Spacers were gorgeous and I still see Meanies around and have a packet of them now and again, though I think the pickled onion flavour on them is a lot "tamer" now, so to speak, than it used to be.

When it came to Alien Spacers, Meanies and Monster Munch, I used to love licking the "flavour" off each one and then popping them into my mouth to let them slowly dissolve in my mouth. Licking the flavour off would burn the hell out of your tongue but I loved it! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My cousin moved to Sweden when we were younger, and was dismayed at how they didn't sell Monster Munch over there. Every time he came over or we visited him, at least three multipacks would have to be brought into Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

Update - they still are nowhere to be found in Sweden. You can find salt candies quite readily though :)

I think the pickled onion flavour on them is a lot "tamer" now, so to speak, than it used to be.
    It is. Probably some EU crap, citric acid was the painfully nice sting off them.

There are many sweets/crisps that I just couldnt ask for in shops as an adult without feeling embarrassed,
    imagine asking for a pack of screaming green mummies and a blue ginormous mr freeze :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Meanies make my mouth water as soon as i open a pack - mmmm lovely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I've been scouring the Internet for years for a scan of that elusive Monster Munch Cyclops thing on the back of the packet. Finally found one that was posted on Twitter over three years ago, dug up on the beach, so its not in great condition. I seem to remember the picture of the Cyclops being in colour, and the piece of bread (?) that he's about to bite into being streaked with red gore. Might have been a false memory.

Advertisement