Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl broadband open meeting

Options
  • 25-05-2005 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

from Waterford Today 25.05.05

in case there's anyone interested

ntl will be holding an open meeting to discuss the introduction of ntl broadband in the Waterford City area.
    The meeting will be held at ntl offices, Cork Road, Waterford, Thursday 26th May 2005 at 6:30pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Lets not forget that there will be light refreshments offered afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

cr@p

forgot the most important bit :D

Did anybody go to this? I didnt have the time so I had to give it a miss :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

From what I hear about seven people ;)
    There's a thread in Broadband about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yep. this is just a summary from notes: (I'm going to write an article on this and post on HackWatch when I get the chance.)

It was an introduction to NTL and significantly, there was a lot of emphasis on Waterford and Galway. These two cities will be totally covered by NTL cable broadband whereas the Dublin net is old in places. The NTL people at the event were quite clueful.

The coverage targets are:
    May - Tycor, Rathfadden
    June - Kilcohan, Ardkeen, Knockboy
    July - Lower Grange, Upper Grange
    August - City, Ferrybank

Essentially 3 Products:
    Down - Up - Cap - Cost
    1Mb - 100Kb - 16G - 25 Euros
    2Mb - 200Kb - 30G - 35 Euros
    3Mb - 300Kb - 40G - 45 Euros

Contention ratio: 17:1

NTL expects to have complete coverage of Waterford by August but reality may adjust that. So far they seem to be moving ahead of targets.

Next installation cycle date is Wednesday (01 June). An extra point for the cable modem connection can be installed if the computer is in a separate room.

Contract is 12 months payable via direct debit. Each user gets 15 e-mail addresses and 55 MB of webspace and access to approximately 30K usenet groups. There is a 40GB montly cap on the top product but apparently nobody currently using the service has breached that cap. A business offering is being considered but this is the pitch as the residental market first.

There will be other open meetings, and these will be in easily accessible areas. NTL is also liasing with some of the residents associations around the city. If NTL manages to implement these plans in Waterford and Galway, Eircom/Esat and the Wireless BB providers are going to take a major hit.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Thanks for the write up :)

I don't suppose anything was mentioned about the possibility of getting NTL BB without their cable TV package? NTL have this offer in the UK, although I suppose they are in direct competition with Telewest and Blueyonder (and probably others)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭jmcc

Thanks for the write up :)

I don't suppose anything was mentioned about the possibility of getting NTL BB without their cable TV package? NTL have this offer in the UK, although I suppose they are in direct competition with Telewest and Blueyonder (and probably others)
    Not at the presentation. Though the basic level TV package is required.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement