Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop to JVC Surround System connection

Options
  • 25-05-2005 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭

Hey ya

I was wondering what kind of a connection cable would u need to use to connect a Laptop to a Surround System? My laptop is a Dell Inspirion 8600 if thats any help.

I tried connecting it up one time but the subwoofer didnt recognise the connection to the laptop. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

How are you connecting it to the surround sound system, is it from the headphone output?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

system_back_big.gif

Its from the last port on the left side of the back of the laptop. The circular port. Thats the video output port. As shown above. :)

Which port? :D

What type of cable are you using?
    Is it a headphone type plug at the end of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

The Apple AirPort Express will allow you connect without wires. It acts like a bridge between your laptop and system. The output is the standard 3.5mm (headfone) jack which you can easily link to your system with rca cable. It is an expensive way around it, 129 EURO, but it's also a wireless access point and a printer port. 3G stores have (www.3g.ie)

Dinner finished:)
    Anyways its most lightly because you are using a Headphone type plug that you are not getting the sub to work.
    If so I cant think of a work around at the moment, Im sure some other nice Person will give you some ideas.
    later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

ARGINITE wrote:
    Which port? :D

What type of cable are you using?
    Is it a headphone type plug at the end of it?

Not sure of the name of the cable but no it doesnt have a headphone type plug at the end of it.

The cable has the same type of plug at both ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fergal20

Hi, I have just connect my old desktop's speakers + sub-woofer to the headphone jack of my new laptop. Works great. Why dont you try connecting it to the headphone jack of your comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

KittyKat wrote:
    Not sure of the name of the cable but no it doesnt have a headphone type plug at the end of it.

The cable has the same type of plug at both ends.

Couldn't tell from the pic but are you referring to an SPDIF connection or S-Video?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Soundman wrote:
    Couldn't tell from the pic but are you referring to an SPDIF connection or S-Video?? :confused:

it's an s-video...

What I thought, but as I said I couldn't tell from the pic. To be honest it looked like a power socket in that pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i cheated.... :D i have a lattitude d 800 which has exactly the same ports

Which makes me smarter since I don't have a laptop :p . Yet! Roll on the 8th.

Advertisement