Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household appliances - where to buy?

Options
  • 25-05-2005 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I have to buy all household appliances (washer, dryer, fridge, cooker, disher etc.) for my new house - any advice on where is the cheapest place to buy reputed brands?

Anyone know of websites that deliver these to Ireland at a price that works out cheaper than buying here?

Anyone bought these off ebay?

From what I hear DID is cheapest and has good customer service, with Powercity marginally behind on price - does anyone have experiences that could confirm this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I bought all my stuff off DID in one swoop, and got a decent discount as a result.
    I had a problem later with a freezer (transport damage), and in fairness to DID, their help was very satisfactory.
    I learned a few things while buying:
    Don't bother spending big money on fridges and freezers, as there is no real market leader.
    Don't cheap out on dishwashers and washing machines (i bought bosch on both occasions)
    Always go for the lowest energy ratings, as it will save you money in the long run.
    Buy a washing machine with an extra high spin, at least 1200. After doing a wash, run the extra spin, as it is much cheaper than running the dryer.
    Bought a Neff cooker and hob.

Hope that was of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

I would not agree as a rule that DID are marginally cheaper across the board than Power City. Choose your exact product and compare prices on these.

Don't know of any online buying of appliance in Ireland.

Another piece of advice is don't buy hotpoint (The bearing went in my mid-range hotpoint washing machine after only 3 years of light use - 400 Irish pounds gone in a quickwash! )

Fredser

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

We went through the same process when redoing the house, had to buy all the appliances. We spent quite a bit of time going around all the large shops and in the end the best stuff we found was in Discount Electric on Mountjoy square ( not DID). They have great makes and will always do a deal if you are buying the lot.

http://www.buy4now.ie/discountelectrical/

The one thing that struck me about all the stuff in places like DID was the flimsyness of the buttons/knobs on the cheaper appliances. In the end we went for Bosch and Brandt ( excellant french make that have only just moved into Ireland in the last coupla years).

Basically you get what you pay for. Can't recomment Discount electric enough. They stored the stuff for us for 2months with no charge and delivery on time when they said they would, plus gave us a hefty discount on items that were already reduced in a sale.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

http://www.baize.ie/ do shop soiled appliances i.e. ones that might have a scratch or dent but are otherwise fine (you still get the standard manufacturer's warranty)
    You could save a few quid on that and still get whatever manufacturer you want. If you buy all your stuff from them in one go they'll usually do you a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

We bought our 900mm hob(Dedietrich) and our double oven(Dedietrich),as well as lots of other stuff from ebay!!Worked out brilliant- we bought the de dietrich stuff from a seller called secondtek1(in the uk)-he's still selling on ebay-if you search under double oven for example you'd locate his stuff-he charged £83 to post any number of items weighing up to 200kg to the republic by courier-it only took a few days,this included insurance-we are in our new house now using all the appliances-very happy.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

We found Powercity to be the cheapest, plus they give you a few quid off if you pay in cash - just mention it to them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

We bought our 900mm hob(Dedietrich) and our double oven(Dedietrich),as well as lots of other stuff from ebay!!
    That's useful information twinkletoes. How did the prices work out for you compared to full retail cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Enii wrote:
    We found Powercity to be the cheapest, plus they give you a few quid off if you pay in cash - just mention it to them.....

nevr gave me a cent off and i have bought loads off them and asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Fredser wrote:
    Another piece of advice is don't buy hotpoint
    Couldn't agree more - I had terrible trouble with a Hotpoint condenser tumble dryer - the thermostat failed two weeks after it was bought and failed another four times before I gave up and got my money back. Replaced it with a cheaper Whirlpool vented dryer and it hasn't given a days trouble to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

anyone with experiance of indesit?i bought a tumble drier the other day to replace one that was in service for 20+years and still worked (philips) also had a philips washing machine that gave 20+years of hard use without ever breaking down, still worked when it was replaced recently(was noisy)
    another gread brand was bendix, had that dishwasher for 20 years and only broke recently in that it wasnt drying.
    some modern appliances are dirt, like hotpoint, candy etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We've got an AEG washing machine / dryer that has been going for 20 years now. Solid as a rock. That having been said, they've now been taken over by the Electrolux group, so maybe they're not so good any more. We've got a few Whirlpool items too (since my wife gets a staff discount!) and they're top-notch too, plus you get an 8-year parts guarantee for free. Agree with other posters re: Hotpoint, nothing but trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I would advise Bosch all the way, assuming that you cant afford Miele that is.
    for the Washing Machine a spin of 1200 is fine, higher is not really needed and can fairly batter your clothes (not to mention the machine) less than 1200 leaves you with wet clothes.
    I found the best way for us was to get alist of the things we wanted to buy and go to all of the shops looking at prices, in the end we both bit here and there, mainly due to delivery times (i.e couldnt be arsed waiting a week to save €40)
    but each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

gregos wrote:
    That's useful information twinkletoes. How did the prices work out for you compared to full retail cost?

To buy our hob in Ireland costs around 1700 euro-we got it for 1000 euro on ebay,our double oven costs roughly the same and we got it for 1100.So we saved in the region of 1300 euro on those two items alone-its well worth trying especailly with the particular seller i mentioned earlier as he seems very trustworthy and reliable.

Advertisement