Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poker in dublin

Options
  • 25-05-2005 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

do any of yous play the vc poker ones in the pubs around dublin . or vegas nights :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I played both but never again...fitz or merrion only place to play a decent game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 feardubh2002

why do you reckon this , i think vegas nights are pretty good . and not too serious .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Is any1 heading up to the poker tornament in Quinlan's in Terenure on Thrusday night? Think its a VC poker job.
    Was up in the JEm held night, and it was a joke just wondering if this is any better organised, and in standard.
    Roddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 feardubh2002

vc are ok but its a freezout and not very friendly . i might head up to that one myself on thurs . the reason i dont like the freezouts it because twice i went out when i got dealt KK .The last time i got them the other guy went all in with me with A7 suited . he got an ace on the river . so unlucky for me i thought . i hate getting dealt pairs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fpwshark

Hi guys,

I dont suppose you could tell me where the VC tourney is on tomorrow night, Wednesday 1st June?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Wednesday 1st June Quinlan's, Terenure
    Thursday 2nd June Kings Inn, Bolton St

the vegas nights games are a joke....you get called by anything and everthing no matter what you raise....plus there's always a couple of drunk lads who just havent got a clue

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Luke Ivory and I are taking over the game in the Inn in Tallaght on Thursday (previously run by JEM) as the management werent too pleased. The costs are high and I expect about 12.5% held out of the prize pool (I'll confirm that) but at least you can have a drink and know that the game is fair and what the payout will be before you pay your money. Last time, 70 paid a tenner, then rebuys, then top up and 700 was paid out....

Poker in pubs can work but it needs to be fair to all and if we dont provide an alternative to the dodgy operators then we'll just end up with people getting pissed off and never going again. The funny thing is, everyone can win out of it, the organisers, the pub and the players... but only if the first two dont get as unbelieveably greedy as they have been....

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Amaru

jobless wrote:
    the vegas nights games are a joke....you get called by anything and everthing no matter what you raise....plus there's always a couple of drunk lads who just havent got a clue

I can never understand people who say this. How is this not an ideal situation? You wait until you have the best hand, then you raise big. Whats hard about that? It always cracks me up that people say that they lost because the people they were playing against were beginners who didn't know what they were doing. YOU have to adjust your play to suit them, not the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

That is easily done if there is only one or two a table Amaru, but if you keep getting loads of callers you will keep getting outdrawn. Even with AA preflop you do not want more then two callers.

• Advertisement

Amaru wrote:
    I can never understand people who say this. How is this not an ideal situation? You wait until you have the best hand, then you raise big. Whats hard about that? It always cracks me up that people say that they lost because the people they were playing against were beginners who didn't know what they were doing. YOU have to adjust your play to suit them, not the other way round.

i waited till my best hand AQ put a big raise in (5 times the blind) and called by 68o and lost....what else do you want me to do?.....everyone was calling wit anything....you tell me how to play here...

DeVore wrote:
    Luke Ivory and I are taking over the game in the Inn in Tallaght on Thursday (previously run by JEM) as the management werent too pleased. The costs are high and I expect about 12.5% held out of the prize pool (I'll confirm that) but at least you can have a drink and know that the game is fair and what the payout will be before you pay your money. Last time, 70 paid a tenner, then rebuys, then top up and 700 was paid out....

Poker in pubs can work but it needs to be fair to all and if we dont provide an alternative to the dodgy operators then we'll just end up with people getting pissed off and never going again. The funny thing is, everyone can win out of it, the organisers, the pub and the players... but only if the first two dont get as unbelieveably greedy as they have been....

DeV.

devore is this a weekly game?....
    whereabouts is the Inn in tallaght?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭OhPinchy

Amaru - the VC Poker in Pubs games are pure muck for the exact reason that you CANNOT afford to wait until you get a very good hand before getting in on the action. The reason for this is that you start with 20 times the big blind and within 20 minutes the blinds double so if you dont play any hands in the first 20 minutes (equates to about 8 hands in the ones I played) you are down to about 9 times the big blind. This means that you pretty much have to get some major action even with marginal hands like KTo etc. This removes the scope to change gears throughout the tournie and pretty much eliminates a large amount of the skill involved in sussing out opponents and judging your timing – anyone that has even the slightest chance of beating you will call no matter how bad the odds.

Dev – Are you saying you and Luke are going to be running the game in the Old Mill Inn in Old Bawn, Tallaght? I played there once (was on table with Luke and then yourself for a while) but was pretty damn pissed at the rip-off from them JEM lads. I’d guess only about 60% of the funds collected made it into the prize fund – are you saying that the pub took a fair whack? I’d have thought theyd rent the room for free given the extra business it generated. That Gerry Morris fella running it can be well stingy though.

So yeh let us know when its on and what the deal is and I’ll probably be on for it and will spread the word.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

jobless wrote:
    devore is this a weekly game?....
    whereabouts is the Inn in tallaght?
    This will most likely be a weekly game, I got the dates wrong and its tonight! (Wednesday).

I have no idea where the Inn is in Tallaght as I'm a northsider until recently :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

The only Inn's I can think of in Tallaght are The Dragon Inn which I would say is an unlikely venue and The Belgard Inn. The Dragon is in the village the other is out the Belgard Road but I have not seen any adds or anything for these locally.

what time is the game on tonight at, and would you say the numbers would be high?

DeVore wrote:
    This will most likely be a weekly game, I got the dates wrong and its tonight! (Wednesday).

I have no idea where the Inn is in Tallaght as I'm a northsider until recently :)

DeV.
    devore, when you find out will you let me know...cheers...

the dragon inn is too small for a tourney....the belgard i'm not sure about

if its on in the Mill.
    Ill post it on here how to get there later.
    Roddy

Dev - did you play a tournie in this 'Inn' about a month ago that was run by JEM and Luke was playing? If so then thats the Old Mill Inn, in Old Bawn (at the top of the Firhouse Road).

Sound - I'm on for tonight so - whats the setup (buyin and rebuys etc.)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fpwshark

jobless wrote:
    Wednesday 1st June Quinlan's, Terenure
    Thursday 2nd June Kings Inn, Bolton St

So is the one in Terenure on tonight?
    Thats VC as well.

• Advertisement

Unless you are a complete novice and just looking to get your first taste of live poker I'd strongly recommend staying away from the VC games: with the blinds pretty much doubling every 15 minutes from a starting point of 20 big blinds you'll come away thinking you lost out to a pure lottery, or else you'll gamble and do well and convince yourself it was down to skill. I came across a guy who won one of these and believe me he was about as good at football as eric djemba djemba is at football - not much.

Hopefully Dev will post details of his tournie here shortly and I'd expect it to be a well run tournie with good structure - the Mill is only up the road from Terenure so I'd recommend you go to that one instead.

fpwshark wrote:
    So is the one in Terenure on tonight?
    Thats VC as well.

yep its VC alright.....i'd give them a ring first to make sure its on as they advertised one for the kestral but it wasnt on l;ast week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

yeh you have to be the gary neville of poker to win them. there a fcukin lottery! more of a chance of liverpool winning the champions league... oh wait...

I rang the Old Mill (01 4515991) and they said there is a poker tournament on alright so I'd say thats Dev's one. The guy didn't know what time it was on at but guessed 6.30.

did you go to it pinchy...what time did it start at...any use?

Yeh I went alright and it was very well organised I have to say. It started in the Old Mill, Old Bawn, Tallaght at about 7.40 with reg running from 7. Disappointing turnout due to lack of publicity – 23 players only I think, but I have no doubt that this will increase greatly by the time they run it again in 2 week’s time – they will print flyers and it is bound to get good word of mouth feedback saying that it is a well run tournie which is an exception for pub tournies.

It was €15 in for 1500 chips, rebuys for first 1.5hours were €10 for 1500 chips with a top-up option before freezeout for 3000 chips for another tenner. Blinds were very well structured compared to other pub tournies – increased every 30 minutes before break and I think it was 25/50, 50/100, 100/200, 200/400, 300/600, 400/800, 500/1000, 1000/2000. Not sure how that looks on paper but I remember thinking at the time that it was very reasonable and struck a good balance between making sure the tournie would be over by closing time without making the game feel rushed. They had two dealers – Tom/Devore and another lad and both really knew what they were at – when the numbers are bigger it’ll be self-deal but at least they’ll have people who know what they are at overseeing things.

There were plenty of rebuys and top-ups but I have to say I was impressed when they announced a prize pool of €520 to be spread amongst first 4 finishers. There were also 5 tickets for the Sunday evening €25 game in the Fitz for those finishing 5th to 9th. They only took €50 from this one for themselves so ran it at a loss. I wouldn’t have any problem with them making around €200 from each game as long as its done transparently – the fellas who ran the last one in the Mill, who I think Tom and Luke gave the boot to, took around €750 by my reckoning as they paid only €720 from 65 players!!! – that’s just not on.

I have only met Luke and Tom/Devore at this tournie and that last shambles the other fellas ran in the Mill but I find they both come across as straight up and trustworthy lads. Think their angle must be: Luke seems to enjoy it and if it increases the popularity of poker and leads to a few more players joining the Fitz all the better, and Tom/Devore has stated here his desire to spread well organised non-ripoff tournies and this is definitely on the right tracks.

So what about the standard of play? Simply diabolical. Would expect it to improve as word spreads that it’s a well run tournie. Fellas calling all ins with 84o preflop, this baldy geezer who is the jammiest player I have ever seen (a few times) calls an all-in with AKo on a 2 suited flop he missed by miles – pulls hearts on turn and river for a 25-1 gutshot flush and something similar next hand. Myself – I’m not sure how to judge it – I got terrible cards (my best hands I got dealt all night were A5s, K9s, QJo, QTo – not a sniff of a group 1,2, or 3 hand and not a single pocket pair) but somehow managed to make it to 9th place for a ticket….funnily enough my last hand was QJo on big blind first hand on final table (lucky me drew BB seat) so I was all in for a massive 1.5BB: Flop 346 rainbow, turn Q, river 2 – I get beaten by two straights.

I noticed early on that some of the lads clearly had never played before and didn’t know the rules etc. and they was zero respect for raises of any sort – EVERY hand was called with the “I can rebuy anyways” attitude. In fact over the entire night there was only one hand at my table that didn’t go to showdown! Great if you’re hitting cards and want to get paid but terrible if you’re getting dealt muck or not hitting the flop as opponents wouldn’t think twice about calling with bottom pair so no room to bluff etc. I decided to be disciplined and hang on as long I could until my luck changed and approached the few hands I did play with a ‘if I don’t hit anything I ain’t bettin cos I’ll get called with bottom pair’ attitude – what do you lads reckon about taking that approach in this situation where it is simply not possible to push a player off a pot?

sounds like a good tournament...will give it a go in two weeks.....i think the 1.5 hour rebuy period is fair.....the one i played in the nest (vegas nites) the rebuy period was 2.5 hrs which is too long.....the rebuys seem reasonably fair aswell....cheers for the report pinchy!

Damm, 7.40pm starting time. Went down to Quinlan's last night. got down there bout 7.30pm, totally sold out, no hope of playing over 130 players turned up. Left after 25 mins, thought the same would have happened up in the Mill. Definately will be up in a fortnights time tho.
    Roddy

The reason for that is the VC games are advertised in the The Star each Monday I think. You'll get a much better experience playing the tournie in the Mill than any of the VC games which are purely down to luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement