Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Morning Play

Options
  • 25-05-2005 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Ok heres a hand with no commentary - See what you think of it.

I have AKo utg + 1. Its a $25 stt and theres 5 players left (inculding me) I have 3.5k. Villain has 3.2k. Blinds are 50 100. The villain is looseish preflop, I noted him cold calling a raise a few days ago with QT, he also flat called a raise with TT earlier in the game. Apart from those hands I havent noted him doing anything out of the ordinary.

I make it 300 to go. All fold to the villain who calls from the BB.

The flop is 8 3 2 with two diamonds. He checks to me and I bet 500. He calls

The turn is the T of diamonds. We both check.

The river is an offsuit 5. He bets 400 and I go all in for 2500 more.

How did I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

How did I do?

He probably calls your 'all in' with a 2 making bottom pair. One of these guys that cant let go of any sort of hand perhaps?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

I assume you're bluffing you have a low straight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

he has AJo or AQo, and you go on to win the tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

He has Kx of diamonds? Or holds an 8 with a Q or J? Either way he calls and decimates your stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

he calls he has a flush sounded like a value bet 400 into a pot with near 2k so unless u have absolute crap you'd have to call, but im probably wrong if it was a bluff by him it was very weak. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

He has two diamonds down... one of them A. He knows he has the nuts but after your check the last card has decided to play it like he didn't have much and hoped you'd have found something worth 400 at least, just to get what he can from the hand. He calls your all in and continues to eat his cornflakes while counting your chips.

mmm cornflakes.... mmm chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

He probably travelled on something mental like A4o and fills his straight on the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Methinks AA/KK/QQ ... hard to know.

I'm surprised at your move though hector, from what you say, you have already noticed he is a calling station ...so why try and bluff with nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Was this the one I was playing with you? From the action you have to put him on a hand here. He smooth calls a strong bet on the flop, checks the turn, then value bets the river. Looks an awful lot like a slowplayed set, What other reason could he possible have for beting 400 into that pot on the river other than to get some value for a big hand? Did he call you with an underpair? With 25BBs its not necessary to take that risk but if he called with something really marginal I don't mind how you played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

He calls with KQ or AJ and you win.smile.gif

Edit: You obviously dont put him on the flush, so are you thinking A8 (if he really is that loose), or a middle pair? If so, then I think the all-in is a good move. You bet the flop, which could easily be a semi-bluff move with a couple of diamonds, then checked the turn, which looked like you hit the flush and want him to catch up. I think he can only call here if he has the flush. Of course if you're wrong, then you're as good as out, but it's an STT so what the hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

he has K8os or more likely A orKx diamonds for a flush and is winning the pot.

i'd prob push all in before the turn to cut out poss flush, but AKos is a problem hand to play always seems to cost more chips than it wins.

Might even go all in preflop on this, if (one player calls- ideally) they will have decent hand (or they're a nutter) and u'll just have to hope yur not facing AA or KK

+plus 500 is way too light to bet when u prob are way ahead of a nothing flop 8 3 2 (2 diamonds) its almost as if your slow playing AK or putting a feeler bet 2 see if he has a monster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zonemelt

By the action I put him on 55-77 or A2-5, AJ-K with Ad, only one of which he should call you with (A4).

By your action he should put you on AK-Q, rivered straight, 99-KK or a trickily played flush. If he knows your EP raising standards he should probably disregard the stronger hands since they mostly mean weaker hole cards.

The river raise isn't an overbet but he still can't call without the goods, you probably had enough folding equity here and may even be bluffing (and get called) with the best hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zonemelt

Culchie wrote:
    Methinks AA/KK/QQ ... hard to know.

I'm surprised at your move though hector, from what you say, you have already noticed he is a calling station ...so why try and bluff with nothing?

He said he was somewhat loose preflop. Here there are no more cards to be dealt so the situation is very different.

Fair Point, but why take on calling station (large stack) with nothing ?

Bluffing (here we go Nicky) Fuktards and Calling Stations is something I try and avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

5/5 or a/10 off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

I make it 300 to go. All fold to the villain who calls from the BB.

The flop is 8 3 2 with two diamonds. He checks to me and I bet 500. He calls

The turn is the T of diamonds. We both check.

The river is an offsuit 5. He bets 400 and I go all in for 2500 more.

How did I do?

I dont like your bet of 500 after the flop, to me its not big enough to represent the pocket pair > 8's that you are representing.

If he has the diamonds then he is checking on the turn, expecting you to bet it again, a logical assumption seeing as you are the aggressor. You check and he feels you were scared by the diamond.

so he leads out with a small bet that is asking to be raised and you oblige him by going all in.

he calls in a flash and flips over KQ of diamonds

yes/no/he was on a bluff and folded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dropsy

Without knowing the player HJ it's hard to know what his 400 bet on the river represented - maybe he thought you were on a busted flush draw and figured you'd fold to any bet or he has nada and knows that he can only win with a bet - in that case he should have folded to your reaise.

On the other hand, betting 25% of the pot on the river could also represent the nuts inviting a raise - in which case you were trapped. Would be surprised if you would post that though and also unlikely that you'd post if he folded so my vote is that he called and either beat you with a T or an 8 - close 2nd is he called with AKo and you split it.

I dont see the problem with the flop bet... it's practically a pot-sized bet, which is fine.

Can somebody wake Hector up, it's time for an answer, we'll come up with every possible permutation soon.

Besides it's time for him to start work, pillaging all those poor innocent little deer at VCPoker land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Rodge

I dont see the problem with the flop bet... it's practically a pot-sized bet, which is fine.

so if you had AA or KK would you put in a bet of 500 here with a diamond draw on board? I know I certainly wouldnt although that may be why I'm not very good.

• Advertisement

Rodge wrote:
    so if you had AA or KK would you put in a bet of 500 here with a diamond draw on board? I know I certainly wouldnt although that may be why I'm not very good.

Yes, why give him a free card? Make him pay through the nose if he is drawing.

but he didn't have AA or KK, he had nothing.. Ace High.

Why mess with calling station large stack with a bluff ... calling stations tend to call ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Trip 2's

NickyOD wrote:
    Yes, why give him a free card? Make him pay through the nose if he is drawing.

A pot-sized bet isn't a free card (ok, it's 500 into a 650 pot, but that's close enough to pot-sized). And if you have a flush draw on the flop here, I dont think calling a pot-sized bet is correct, which the opponent did. What if you miss... will you call another bet on the turn? And if you hit, can you be sure of getting paid off? (OK, maybe in the weaker games you can).

I think over-betting the flop here will look like a missed AK.

Edit: Plus, there's no need to panic that he has a couple of diamonds. When you start suited, you're approx 8/1 against even flopping the draw. I think people tend to fear flush draws too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

His actions seemed to be very marginal hand, he check called the bet on the flop but that could be any pair assuming Id missed the flop, or even just overcards. Then the bet of 400 at the end just seemed like a half hearted attempt not to get blown of his hand. I think that the Ten and the Diamonds were scare cards for him, as its unlikely he had either. He folded after a second or twos thought.

Rodge wrote:
    I dont like your bet of 500 after the flop, to me its not big enough to represent the pocket pair > 8's that you are representing.

Thats my standard bet after the flop, its what I would bet with an overpair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

what

an

anti

climax

:)

Might even go all in preflop on this, if (one player calls- ideally) they will have decent hand (or they're a nutter) and u'll just have to hope yur not facing AA or KK

The blinds are 50 100 so pushing all in for 3500 preflop isnt really an option, if I get called its almost certainly going to be a race. Im by far the best player on the table and my advantage is outplaying people post flop, not by risking my stack to pick up 150 chips.

Rodge wrote:

If I put him on the flush draw then I would bet 500 and hope to be called. I want people to try and outdraw me.

• Advertisement

Im by far the best player on the table and my advantage is outplaying people post flop

So it wasn't the one we played together then. :D

Advertisement