Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lostzilla!! Do you want to believe?

Options
  • 24-05-2005 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

ok.. the monster element seems to be a big issue - and rightly so.
    It will no doubt shift the whole programme from dark drama into more sci fi.
    So, do you think the "monster" is good for the show?
    Has the idea put you off the show somewhat?

Lostzilla - yes/ no? 18 votes

The monster plot is brilliant! I hope it's a huge maneating freak!
    0% 0 votes
    Noo!! The monster plot is rubbish!! It's ruining it! I hope it manmade and not real
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Writers have said that everything that happens on the island can be explained - its not meant to be a sci fi show

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭MoeHawk

Personally it has put me off it a bit,
    I dont know why I am not really into sci-fi and justr feel a bit edgy by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

What episode is everyone else on? I'm almost finished 6, is the monster explained in any of the episodes you've seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hyzepher wrote:
    its not meant to be a sci fi show

Hmm, they're not doing a good job at it.
    There were so many inaccuracies in the first two episodes - especially about the crash site.
    And not to mention a heavily pregnant woman allowed to fly...

I guess I just wasnt prepared for the "monster" subplot and I want to rubbish it.
    Had I been more prepared (perhaps seen it in a trailer, or heard a rumour) I'd be more inclined to think "ooh, big monster is gonna kill 'em all!" and go along with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

whiskeyman wrote:
    Hmm, they're not doing a good job at it.
    There were so many inaccuracies in the first two episodes - especially about the crash site.
    And not to mention a heavily pregnant woman allowed to fly...
    What inaccuracies? Why Clare is flying is explained later on. Everyone has to stop jumping the gun. There is so much back story for every character that you have yet to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Pregnant women can be allowed to fly, it's just not recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'd prefer an inbetween option on the poll tbh...

I like the storyline (ie there being something unexplainable in the woods) but a big maneating dinosaur would suck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The monster hasn't really been touched on since episode 1... until Boone's hallucination and last week with the group running from it!

I could survive without it in the show... but it does make you very curious! And the growl that emerged from behind Artz when running last week scared the absolute crap outta me!... and i don't scare easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I heard it will be explained in the last episode of season 12.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

I agree with Steveland? - I'd prefer an in-between option as well. I absolutely DO NOT want it to be manmade (though I'm coming quickly to the conclusion that, alas, it may well be).

What I'd like is for its nature and its creator(s) to be left vague and undefinied for quite a long time, until, eventually we ourselves get to see it in the final episode.
    And then let it be quite paranormal and plausible at the same time. Or at least moderately explainable.

I don't want it to be a Predator-type alien creature, or a man-made robotic type thing though. The mystery will be 100% ruined should it ultimately prove to be either of those, IMO.

SoI'd vote for an option that goes like: The monster is unexplainable... for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Predator-type alien creature

Class, I was thinking that too. In reality, I'd like this show to stay away from the realms of sci-fi, so I hope that earlier post about the writers saying everything was explainable is true

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anyone read The Life of Pi?

dudara wrote:
    Class, I was thinking that too. In reality, I'd like this show to stay away from the realms of sci-fi, so I hope that earlier post about the writers saying everything was explainable is true

It has been so far - dual-explanations can be given for 90% of what happens in the first season. The rest we don't know enough about yet.

Pickarooney - I know the book, but I'm not sure what you're getting at... Are you suggesting the monster is representative of something?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's a while since I read it, but AFAICR the island was alive in some way, I think it was a whole ecosystem made up of only one enormous, carniverous plant. I don't know if any real parallels can be drawn though, but it's another possible angle - the island itself rather than its inhabitants or a creation of theirs could be the 'monster'.

It's a while since I read it, but AFAICR the island was alive in some way, I think it was a whole ecosystem made up of only one enormous, carniverous plant. I don't know if any real parallels can be drawn though, but it's another possible angle - the island itself rather than its inhabitants or a creation of theirs could be the 'monster'.

I see where you're going... like the island is some 'Gaia'-type thing (no dodgy Captain Planet refs, please, folks!) I thought this back at the start of the series, but as time wore on, the more Locke thought 'the island' was doing things, the less I believed him.

I think if the monster seemed less man-made, maybe I'd buy this more, but based on the (potential spoilers)
    mechanical whirring noises in the finale, it sounded a lot less 'mystical'.

I'd be happy enough with the ecological explanation, as not-'real world' plausible as that might be, rather than have some X-Files-type government force at work there...

Advertisement