Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB 2 cardbus card help

• 24-05-2005 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'd appreciate any input anyone could give me.

I purchased a D-Link USB 2.0 Cardbus Adaptor for my laptop after discovering that (despite the sales guys assurances) my new Creative Micro Zen was not USB 1 compatible.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE842857&productID=94398

But I've got problems. The drivers etc install normally and the card is picked up correctly. I can view anything that's connected to the USB 2 ports in the card in My Computer and I can browse through them (so I can see the files in my digital camera or my USB key or in my Zen).

BUT the problems start when I try to view/access/delete files or try and transfer new ones in. Windows usually hangs or in the case of transferring mp3s through media player, it freezes for a few minutes then reports failure.

I've tried reinstalling etc. to no avail. I've got a Dell 2650 with Windows XP.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks a million,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eh, My Zen Micro works over USB1. Is the device appearing the same on the USB2 card as with the USB1 ports? Because if it is, its Windows thats buggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

how many PCMCIA slots do you have ?

the cardbus slot is usually the bottom one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I am confused (not a very hard thing to do I admit).

My zen works over USB 1 when in removable disk mode. But as an MP3 player she is a no go (this is with all the most up to date firmware on the Zen and with Service Pack 2 and Media Player 10 installed on XP).

I must admit to being slightly puzzled about your question formatman. My laptop has one port on the side and only one place where the card will fit (I've got a wireless card which works perfectly in it!!?!?).

Sorry if that's a horrible silly answer.

I don't use WMP with my Zen - on Windows, install the full drivers and it'll appear as a removable device to which you can drag and drop

However, I haven't installed the new firmware as I want to keep Linux and OSX compatibility - is it possible Creative broke something as important as back compat?

some PCMCIA slots can take two type II cards , typeI and II and III refer to the height of the card so the slot migth take one type III card or 2 type II cards , you would know how many slots by the amount of eject buttons on the side

if you had 2 slots one would usually only be cardbus compatible ...which would be the bottom slot

• Advertisement

to add to that the 2650 doesn't like USB 2.0 according to the fix posted here

http://www.scottlandon.hawking.secure-xp.net/o2micro/help.htm

formatman wrote:
    some PCMCIA slots can take two type II cards , typeI and II and III refer to the height of the card so the slot migth take one type III card or 2 type II cards , you would know how many slots by the amount of eject buttons on the side

if you had 2 slots one would usually only be cardbus compatible ...which would be the bottom slot

I have -NEVER- found a laptop where only one of the expansion slots is 32 bit. There is no financial or hardware advantage to putting one as 16 bit - it'll probably make IRQ problems a lot worse, for one, and limit the expandability a lot.

If the card is appearing for him as far as it is, PCMCIA/Cardbus width issues aren't the problem.

well they did exist

formatman wrote:
    well they did exist

When?

Considering I develop PCMCIA drivers for BeOS in my spare time, I have at least 15 laptops, many of which have the weirdest PCMCIA layouts ever (3 slots and other oddities) and a boxload of cards. I've never seen laptops that don't have all 16 bit or all 32 bit. Never anything else.

gateway sold aload of the them , 2100 2200 models and others, the bottom slot was 32 bit ...really (-: ,

but anyhow your point that the card is recognised this far negates this point and the fact it such an up to date laptop

• Advertisement
Advertisement