Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody O2 ads

Options
  • 24-05-2005 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

I thought the Pilot was so-so last night, some good bits, some bad bits. However the thing that sticks out most for me is those bloody O2 ads before and after each ad break. I'm actually thinking of switching to vodafone today just because they annoyed me so much.

Does anybody know what advertising agency they use? they should be ashamed of themselves. I think that they may have Brian O'Driscoll on a retainer since the ads he did for them.

Anyways I'm still in a bad mood about the whole affair, thanks a bunch O2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

well, for a start RTE2 / RTE were always going to have ads... and the company that spent the most money to get the deal (O2) was going to use the tie in.
    If it wasnt O2, it'd be someone else.
    (O'Driscoll, like Harrington, has a personal sponsorship deal with O2 by the way and is used in many O2 campaigns)
    Anyone know what station it'll be on in the UK? Would be nice to watch on ad-free BBC.

Personally, I thought the ads were well executed... I've seen a lot worse!

Also, if you've so annoyed over the ads... it's clear they've made a greater impression on you (good or bad) than the show. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

whiskeyman wrote:
    Personally, I thought the ads were well executed... I've seen a lot worse!

I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i hated them, absolutely hated them, boooooo, down with this sort of thing

SPOOOOOOON!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

There were way too many ads last night. :mad:

I bet you all secretly love them and have shrines to crazy frog in your bedrooms....

Get over it.. it's only an ad! I would have thought of many better sponsors that could do better tie-ins though. Perhaps Ryanair? Budget Travel?

I agree there was too many ads during the show last night... ridiculous.
    And it didnt help the O2 ads repeated themselves for part 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

It'll be on E4 but unfortunately not for ages... they'll still take breaks every 15 minutes though...

By the way there was a deadly ad for Rambo on I noticed... funny ad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

"Rambo and the Taliban versus the Commies" yeah that was a good ad! The O2 ones were seriously driving me mad though, they didnt have to be that annoying, they could just have said "sponsered by O2" or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

OMG there so fecking annoying, if I hear "Jack sent me a picture of the island" or anything similar one more time I'll scream!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm downloading the rest of the eps, just to avoid those feckin ads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

cue annoying voice:

eh heh heh! looks like jack is still stuck on the island, eh heh heh.
    Should we get a doggy bag?

*truely a shoot-the-tv situation there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think those ads would turn many people off the show.

I reckon we should e-mail the link to this thread and the other thread about the episode itself to RTE... how is it not painfully obvious that those ads just have me reaching for the remote and then for my mouse...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am in the process of writing an e-mail to RTE about it... will post it when done! :D

Excellent... I was gonna do it but... ya know... effort...

basquille wrote:
    Am in the process of writing an e-mail to RTE about it... will post it when done! :D
    omg?! Are you serious??
    Did you also complain about the KFC Zinger ads?

WWaaaayyy to much time on yer hands.
    And besides, it's pointless. O2 paid top money for it.. it's them you need to write to. I think their ad agency is Cawley Nea by the way... they probably devised it. Drop them a line :)

Cheers for the tip, whiskeyman!

Couldn't find an e-mail address for O2 except for bill / phone enquiries. Will write to Cawley Nea then.

Started the e-mail last night but didn't finish it... will post it when done!

Also worth noting RTE got a load of complaints for that Lisa Simpson ad with the fake accent and her Irish penpal. If O2 get enough complaints.. they'll need to consider doing something about it. Even record new voiceovers with simply "Lost - sponsored by O2..." or something like that!

basquille wrote:
    Cheers for the tip, whiskeyman!

Couldn't find an e-mail address for O2 except for bill / phone enquiries. Will write to Cawley Nea then.

Started the e-mail last night but didn't finish it... will post it when done!

Actually, it may be better to write a hand written letter to O2 Marketing Dept. (Burlington Road, Dublin)
    No one reads emails from random people... and they'll probably just delete it.
    A hand written letter will get attention.
    If you have bad things to say about the ads, try and suggest good ideas for it.
    Say you did love the Brian O'Driscoll ads and they may throw in a free jersey!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on (for many reasons!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Every ten mins exactly for five mins exactly! Equating to fourty mins out of a 1hr 50mins program... Ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Am gonna wait to see if they're as bad with ads in this week's standard hour long episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Couldn't they just tweak the LOST logo slightly and make the S look like a 2?

Advertisement