Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aces

Options
  • 24-05-2005 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

It is finally dawning on a lot of people here. Hold'em is a five card per hand game.

Aces are only a pair.

They get cracked ALOT.

It is not a bad beat. It can be unlucky, but they do not deserve to win all the time......especially online ;)

With 3/4 still in at the flop they are an underdog. No? Hector? Maths People?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

BigDragon wrote:
    It is finally dawning on a lot of people here. Hold'em is a five card per hand game.

Aces are only a pair.

They get cracked ALOT.

It is not a bad beat. It can be unlucky, but they do not deserve to win all the time......especially online ;)

There is no shame in just taking the blinds with any big hand including aces, but you have to play them according to your goals in the tournament.

If you are in a comfortable position then you should never ever miss the oportunity to raise, reraise with Aces.

If you are shortstacked and need to accumulate chips then I think its fine slowplaying but ONLY in the blinds in a HU situation and you must be able to lay them down if you get outdrawn (although that is almost impossible to do shortstacked)

In both cases you always want isolation with Aces. Intentionally playing them multihanded is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

What every body fails to get is that every time you get all in you only deserve your %Equity of the pot. For example every time you get all in preflop vs another pair you should win 80% of the pot. So when you manage to hold up vs 22 you have in fact cheated the other hand out of its 20% Equity. Bad beats are just the method of redistributing what you have taken from before.

BigDragon wrote:

With 3/4 still in at the flop they are an underdog. No? Hector? Maths People?

Against 3 people I think they would nearly always have more than a 50% equity, against 4 ppl the equity is usually around 50%.

Allthough this doesnt tell the whole story, because if there is still betting on the flop and turn many hands will fold that would of outdrawn AA, but AA will rarely fold even when outflopped. So AA will win more than its fair %.

NickyOD wrote:
    There is no shame in just taking the blinds with any big hand including aces, but you have to play them according to your goals in the tournament.

If you are in a comfortable position then you should never ever miss the oportunity to raise, reraise with Aces.

If you are shortstacked and need to accumulate chips then I think its fine slowplaying but ONLY in the blinds in a HU situation and you must be able to lay them down if you get outdrawn (although that is almost impossible to do shortstacked)

In both cases you always want isolation with Aces. Intentionally playing them multihanded is asking for trouble.

This is all fine advice for beginners but there are many situations in which an excellent player would break every statement above, (bar laying them down if outdrawn).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What every body fails to get is that every time you get all in you only deserve your %Equity of the pot. For example every time you get all in preflop vs another pair you should win 80% of the pot. So when you manage to hold up vs 22 you have in fact cheated the other hand out of its 20% Equity. Bad beats are just the method of redistributing what you have taken from before.
    This should be written in 5 foot high lettering around the Fitz. Kings will outdraw Aces one time in five that they are heads up. You'd swear some people think the game should end when they turn them over! Sure it hurts to lose with them but 1-in-5 isnt exactly fantastic odds and thats at their best!

Against 3 hands that SHOULD be calling a correctly played AA hand, you're looking at about 60% win rate for the aces. Ironically, BADLY played cards will see that win rate drop to (just) less then 50%

The current fascination with slow playing big pairs frankly confuses me. I suppose they are looking to disguise the strength of their hand but my personal opinion is:

1. You just dont get enough additional return for the additional risk.
    2. The vast majority of players I've seen doing simply arent good enough players to analyse a flop's "texture" and drop the aces.

In a preraised pot, a flop of 5,6,8 rainbow looks ideal, in fact possibly too ideal unless you opponent is holding an over pair to the board. In an unraised pot it certainly looks less then ideal and there are many more flops that look less then ideal that can be imagined!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I will genneraly slow play aces kings and queens to a raise especially in position, the raiser should drive more people out and Im looking to get one more bet out of them on the flop then either raise or continue to slow play depending on the flop, of course folding if I think Ive been outdrawn

That said I havent lost with aces the last 946 times Ive had them so I must be oing something rightg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

bohsman wrote:

That said I havent lost with aces the last 946 times Ive had them so I must be oing something rightg

Eight more and you'll be as good as Lafortezza ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I was playing oscar about 10 mins ago on PPP, $15 STT, I came second.
    Took some of Oscar's chips early on with a flush then knocked him out with my AKo against his A8.

My PPP name is IEatFish by the way if anyone wants to have a go, silly PPP wouldn't let me reg Lafortezza as it's regged with VC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

8 minute blinds that shoot up, wont be playing any more of them

Advertisement