Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was I unlucky last night or was that just luck's evil way of balancing out?

Options
  • 24-05-2005 4:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Just got back from The Fitz €110 game a couple of hrs ago and finally ran out of luck

blinds are 800/1500 we're down to the final 14 i'm small blind and have pocket aces

Everyone in front of me folds so I make a minimum raise to 3000 which the BB calls

Flop comes K K 8 (i think it was 8 or maybe it was 6 but anyway it's irrelevant)

I have about 25k, slightly more than the BB, and proceed to bet 4k. He raises all in and even if I thought he had the K (which I foolishly didn't) I'd still find it damn near impossible to throw away AA so I call without hesitation. I was hoping he'd made 2 pair or thought I was bluffing.

So anyway he flips over K 9....turn comes another K which gives me Kings Full against his Quads, leaving me with barely 4k in change.

No resurection and out in 13th. Bloody aces cripple me again.

In fairness I had been getting things pretty good up until then. Never in my life have I ever had so many pocket pairs in one night...

KK once, JJ twice, 10 10 once, 99 once, 88 twice, 66 once, 55 twice, 33 once, 22 once and then AA at the end. I even got AK 3 times. Out of all those pairs I only lost once, at the very start with JJ. Next hand I was all in with 55 against KK and hit a 5 on the river. So I certainly can't complain about the hands I was getting, but I'm still pretty gutted to go out with aces so near the final table. Woulds prefered to have been knocked out at the start with those fives to be honset.

Does anyone here think I should have played those aces differently? If there was even just one or two callers I would've certainly made a huge raise but with everyone folding I wanted to price him in.

Kings full of aces beaten by quads should qualify for some kind of bad beat payout imo.

Anyway, who won it in the end? They guy who won the Irish Open was doing pretty well at my table when I left.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

When you minimum raise preflop you give for the blinds to call you with any two cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

but I wanted him to call, I got greedy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

kinaldo wrote:
    but I wanted him to call, I got greedy!

I don't mind the way you played it at all. You wanted to accumulate more than just the blinds with you Aces and got unlucky. **** happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 feardubh2002

i ****ing hate pocket pairs .i cant count the amount of times i've gone out on them . basterds ( excuse the french) :mad:
    and bad spelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zonemelt

I'm not a fan of this play at all. If you're gonna price someone in who has position on you then you should make him pay a little more. I'd make it 5k here most of the time preflop. On the flop as you played it, you can't disregard the BB as having a K, he could have any King as you've given him odds to call with any two. Which meant you got most of your money in the pot when behind and you were calling as well. This flop is a check fold for me - he's going to be as afraid of the KKx as you are so any hand you beat will likely check behind. Bet the turn instead if you get there for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zonemelt

PS How much were the prizes for this tournament last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yeh you were telling me about it afterwards. I got knocked out in 14th, you were 13th. Unlucky to lose on that hand but as you say you were getting the cards. I didnt hit a pocket pair all night and only got as far as I did with some major bluffs and hitting two straights.

I was on 23,000 with two tables left and then the cards dried up totally. Same as Friday night. I couldnt get anything for almost an hour. Anytime I tried a bluff I got re-raised. I tried to be patient but the cards were just so bad. No pairs, no suited connecters not even a high card! With the blinds at 1,500 and 3,000 I had to make a move soon.

I waited, and waited, and waited, and finally got landed with A J. Had about 10,000 left. Thought about a min raise but decided that I was going to have to commit all my chips either way so I pushed all in. With only 3/4 players to act after me and three of them small enough stacks I felt pretty confident. Obviously the big stack had AA and calls in a shot and im gone.

Again rory just misses out on the money. Becoming fcukin tradition at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Rory,

I think after a few of your recent posts, you are a marked man.

Raises will be re-raised.... methinks. :cool:

Yeh i know! But sometimes when it gets to the stage of blinds being that big you have to go all in. I mean it was a lot better than 10 4 this time! I didn't relly want a caller but A J isin't too bad a hand to go out on.

Don't get me wrong I haven't been knocked out by a bad beat in a proper tourny (ie not a freeroll!) in a while. The last while it just semms that the cards just dry up for me as I get closer to the final table, and I end up being forced into a make or break situation, that I ALWAYS lose.

Would you have gone in on the A J last night? I had about 10,000 left. Blinds were 1 and 2 and I was UTG +2. Hadn't seen a decent hand in AGES, not even an ace or a king, and with blinds that big it was all or nothing for the short stacks. Also I had seen 2 of the short stacks double up on A 4 and K 9. There was another 5 to go out until the final table and I couldn't have waited it out. Another round of blinds would have killed me...

Woah there ...

I wasn't criticising at all....just a little observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Rory, I am certain you'll get into the money in one of the big ones soon enough. I would have made the same move with AJ and 5xBB. But Cuchie is right, after mentioning your love of bluffing a few times recently, you'd better watch out trying it on us boardsters :) That said I seem to remember you knocking me out of a freeroll a few months ago 3-handed when I put you on a steal and you showed them bullets...!

yeh that was nice. Hey Culchie I didn't mean to sound annoyed I was genuinly asking what you would do in that situation!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"I have about 25k, slightly more than the BB, and proceed to bet 4k. He raises all in and even if I thought he had the K (which I foolishly didn't) I'd still find it damn near impossible to throw away AA so I call without hesitation."

Er, you wanted to know what your problem is? :):)

Later you say "Bloody aces cripple me again.", if the first part is true, I think you are going to find that happening about, oooh, one-in-five times :)

On the issue of the raise, personally I would have raised more. I know you want a caller but you DONT want a caller who is getting even close to his proper odds. You need to give him a chance to make a mistake. More mistakes by him, means more chips for you long term, even if he wins that *specific* time.

Just my 2c.

DeV.

I think I would have done exactly the same.

It's the 10 4 off suit last week, I might have waited for something just a little better with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

DeVore wrote:
    On the issue of the raise, personally I would have raised more.

I don't think in this case that would have made any difference. Doubt yer man with KK would have backed down. In general though, as I have learned to my cost recently, you need to raise monstrously with AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Ardent wrote:
    I don't think in this case that would have made any difference. Doubt yer man with KK would have backed down. In general though, as I have learned to my cost recently, you need to raise monstrously with AA.

He didn't have KK he had K9, and had the intial raise been 6 or 8K he would have folded preflop.

I would have raised more preflop, and checked the flop. With a big raise to me I'd of folded the A's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Iago wrote:
    With a big raise to me I'd of folded the A's.
    Don't lie! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Iago wrote:
    He didn't have KK he had K9, and had the intial raise been 6 or 8K he would have folded preflop.

Ah yeah, you're right, I misread. Like I do at cards too it seems. :)

Agree with you, shake him with a huge raise pre-flop and if he's still there and raises to you after the flop, consider folding. They are only a pair at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

i played last night and saw the aces cracked it was one of those unfortunate situations that was impossible to avoid the buletts had your name on em. with the stack he had the blinds and the fact we were shorthanded it unavoidable. we split it 4 ways 1500 to the bigger stacks and 1000 each to the slightly smaller stacks. :D

shane u are a jammy bastard. i hate u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

You played it fine and just got unlucky. He played his trips too strong and got lucky you called him. He probably hoped you thought he was overbetting as a bluff. Either that or he just played it too strong.

Personally I wouldn't have raised at all, just called. Let him do the work, find out what he's diving for and then bomb the pot on the turn just when he's sooo close.

It's a dangerous wayto play aces but the only way against the bb if he has nothing and you're hoping for maximum chips.

But this time he hit it and u didn't. It's gonna happen many more times in your illustrious career.

Wanna sell me a ticket for Thurs again? if anyone else has one just pm me.

cheers, d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

ok i'm over it now, ty for the advice and stuff, from here on there'll be no more pricing people in, aces shall be played same as I play Jacks...all in!

Advertisement