Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Aces High Poker Tourney in Limerick

Options
  • 24-05-2005 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭

I said I'd try my best to write a less subjective opinion about another Limerick poker tournament that started Monday night. I will try my best to keep it sarcasm free. :rolleyes:

-22 runners. €20 buy in for 2500 chips. First level 30 minutes. After that it was 20 minutes I think

-Blind levels:25/50,50/100,100/200,200/500,500/1000,1000/2000,2000/50005000/10000,10000/20000,20000/40000

-You cannot rebuy until you have less than the Big blind in chips.

-Rebuys are €10 and you get €1250 which makes busting a real pain in the ass.

Early on I was all in after reraising the inital flop with KQ on a board 5-Q-7-K and was called by a player with 99. River was a 9. I rebuy for my 1250. (note, left out sarcasm)

I doubled through, can't remember how and at the break had 2500 then took the add €20 for 5000 this time.

When it was down to 2 tables I had about 6BBs but somehow managed to take down a decent pot postflop with 2-3o in the BB when the flop came 6-2-3 and I doubled through. Then only took the blinds with Aces and put the small blind all in with 9-4o when he limped in. (He only had 3BBs left)

I think I was table chip leader with about 18BBs when I pushed with J-J in MP after 3 players limped in. UTG called with AK and he beat me. Then the blinds went up and all of a sudden I have 3BBs. Yippeee!

I got 3-5s in the BB and the button and SB limped in. Blah! I should be pushing but I checked. We all checked a dangerous flop and a 5 came on the turn and I pushed. Mr Limps-with-AK called on the turn with Ace high and my hand held up.

I doubled through a couple of times again and busted a couple of players. When the table was down to 4 we stopped and let the other table play down to 4. When we stopped the blinds were 1000/2000. We waited a full half hour before the other table went down to 4 giving us an incredible advantage.

Down to the 8 and DelaBass was also at final table I think with just 1BB. I was average with 5BBs. :D

DelaBass and another player busted in the same hand to the drunk and clueless chip leaders monster 9-5o (I think) He raised hard UTG at one point and I I had just 1 BB left after posting the small blinds and and pushed it in with T-8o. BB folded. UTG showed 9-7o. Hehehe. My hand held up.

I can't really remember how it got down to 4. I won a few pots by pushing with complete crap preflop. Why not? With this structure I'm getting better EV by getting my chips in first with garbage than calling someone elses all in with 88.

When it was down to 4, I was 2nd in chips but it was fairly even so I offered to deal. 2 others agreed. Drunk and Cluless Chip leader point blank refused. He went out 4th when he continued to call raises with trash and the guy on my left who at one point had half a BB was now chip leader with 3 left.

I was then in the SB with 8-9o and just 1.5 BBS left. Uuuuber tight button pushed all-in for a monster 2BBs. The BB is guarnateed to call so I'm getting 6-1. Easy push. Button thows up Aces! BB had 3-5 suited. First card out is an 8 and I hit another one on the river to crack the aces. :p

Heads up I had a slight chip lead but I figured the fairest thing to do was deal so we split the rest of the prisepool. We then played fior "Masters" points and I ended up winning.

I was €50 invested and after the split I i got €190 for €140 profit.

The organisers are clueless. I had to tell them the correct way to move players from tables and there wasn't much attempt to balance tables either. Had I and teh other 3 players not been able to sit out for that half hour the final table would have been completely differennt.

I'm not going to say anything about the blind levels because such is the nature of low buy in events and to be fair they have to finish up at a certain time so a crapshoot scenario is inevitable.

The blind levels were outlined on a big screen. It was stated before hand that a % would go to charity ($101 to the share a dream foundation) and €100 from every event would go towards the masters tournament. I didn't work out how much exactly they took for themselves. I think it worked out about €35 of my €50 went into the prizepool.

I would normally have no intention of going back because I'd have to win onece a month just to break even. 8 players getting paid in a 22 player tourney is a joke. But considering how poor the field is, and the fact that I'm top of the leaderboard for the masters tournament Its probably worth while heading back and building up LB points to try and take down some decent money.

I wouldn't recommend this tourney unless you can handle crapshoots. I could just as easily have gone out the first hand after the break as gone on to win it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

What's this with the name ACE high poker tourney. that is our name from the Roscrea tourney. We have registered the business name. Nicky can you let me know who ran it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

NickyOD wrote:

I think I was table chip leader with about 18BBs

WTF?... You being serious here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭DeLaBass

Very good post Nicky and although you left out the sarcasm it doesn't mean i have to follow suit does it? In a word i'd say Keeerapshoooot! Ok that's not actually a word but you get my jist. One player at my table bought back 6 times before the break and he bought the top-up so that was €100 without even reaching the final table! Muppet!

It was all going well for me before the break, chip leader at my table with 8.5k after getting wired Jacks on the very first hand and busting a player on the second hand with my AJ on a board of A-A-x-J-9 to his bottom pair :confused: Then the hand that broke me came along sometime later, got 2-2 in the big blind and limped to the fop which came 2-7-7. Was up against two players with trip 7s and "do i burn three cards before i deal the flop?" button catches a 10 on the river to fill a bigger house. Down to 1.5k blinds at 200-400 i believe and push all in pre-flop with AKs to be beaten by caller in mid position with A-7o.

Didn't catch many cards after this and blinded down to a ridiculous 3k with blinds at 2k and 1k get moved to a smaller table. All in without looking on my first hand. Take a look at the flop of 8-K-7-x-7 and turn over 88. Lucky. Eventually get up to 30k after about 20 mins of duck-arse tight play. The same player found cards on the turn and river about four times to survive. On the last occasion he caught the case 5 to survive whcih saw me having to post 10k in the BB next hand of my total 20k which hurt alot for the final table.

Final table was a joke. Why can people see that it is NOT poker and NOT even remotely a skill game when the only decision you have to make is all-in or fold when the blinds are up so much?? I hate this ****e. I was glad to see the "drunk and clueless" chip leader bust out after he refused the deal. What a moron, he was caught with the BB about two hands later which brought him close to the other short-stacks.

You were unlucky with the J-J hand Nicky. Can't believe he didn't raise pre-flop with AK, what the hell was he thinking? Would have probaly played it the same, they're a trouble hand and you didn't want to be seeing a flop with Aces or Kings.

Anyway don't think i'll be going again. Moving up to Galway next week for a few months, of course i won't be expecting anything less than crapshoots up there either. That just poker in Ireland I think, or, at least outside of the clubs and outside of Dublin. Played about 8 tournaments now in the past 2 months and still looking for a non-crapshoot affair, i've a feeling that i may be waiting in vain...

[rant over]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is exactly the sort of thing that the IPPTC is designed to try and highlight. *shakes head*.

I have the awful feeling that the government is going to step in pretty soon and regulate this kind of event.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Will this be on again next monday night? My exams are over saturday so i'll be doing fcuk all next week before I start work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

did you not just read how bad it is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Worth a go anyway. I've only played online and home games, so it would be my first tourney, and with hardly any to choose from in Limerick, beggars can't be choosers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

jem wrote:
    What's this with the name ACE high poker tourney. that is our name from the Roscrea tourney. We have registered the business name. Nicky can you let me know who ran it.

Their name is Aces High Poker Promotions. Do you want the phone number?

Dave wrote:
    Will this be on again next monday night? My exams are over saturday so i'll be doing fcuk all next week before I start work.

When I was in college my friends and I used to rate girls by how many pints you would need to drink before you would consider shagging them, which was funny if a girl overheard she was a 10. From now on I'm going to rate poker tourneys the same way. You would need about 8 pints to be drunk enough to play this one. :D but I get that really depends on your intake abilities. (That would get me pretty steamed!)

They have another event tonight in Schooners (steamboat Quay). It doesn't count towards the masters points. :rolleyes: I am going to have a chat with the organiser this time and see if he will take some constructive criticism. I will put it in an e-mail to him and he can either continue running a **** tournament and crash and burn or improve things. I seriously doubt from the reaction I got last night he will listen to me. They seem very stuck in their ways and any time I opened my mouth I was met with about 6 muckers staring at me like I had 4 heads "We don't want your proper rules here boss!"

You should only play this tourney if you know how to approach it. Forget about ****ing limping if you're first into the pot. Raise 6BBs at level 1 and you could still get 4 callers! By level 4/5 any raise leaves you pot committed so its push or fold time. I probably won by seeing less flops than any player in the tournament. You can afford to play pretty tight because you will almost always get to see a cheap flop in the blinds. A very weak player came 3rd last night. His tight play got him so far but he waited until he was too short and got his aces cracked. He should have rolled over that final table with the cards he was getting throught the tourney, but he limped in too much and bled away chips. Just pick your spots to push and don't be afraid to push with crap late in the tourney. Hardly any of these fools raise preflop. They all want to limp and LOVE to see flops. **** them, Let them try to crack your big hand hand with their garbage. More often than not their bitch asses will be sent to the rail, but you are giving then an edge if you let them see cheap flops. Just put them all in. You can't do any worse than getting your chips in as the favourite. You'll still get action from morons calling you down with bottom pair. I got chips in as a 95% favourite early on and still lost.

I'm not really certain if this tourney is profitable long term to someone with a brain becase you need a lot of luck. I'm gona make this my little Monday night project over the Summer just to see if I can turn a decent profit. I may go quite insane after a few weeks and need counselling. They run for 20 weeks before the Masters event. I can tell you now there isn't a hope in hell I won't be at that final table.

Week#1
    Investment: €50
    Finish: 1st
    Winnings €190
    Profit €140
    Time: 3.75 hours.
    Hourly rate: €37.35/h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

NickyOD wrote:
    Their name is Aces High Poker Promotions. Do you want the phone number?

Yes please or an email address.
    Thanks
    james

The reason is that thankfully our charity event went very well, all agreed that it was well run and we followed exactly the rules. We do intend running further nights for charity and don't want our name possibly tarnished in any way. Not saying that they will, just want to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

Nicky, I'm dumbfounded. Totallyf--king perplexed.
    I run monday night tournament in rochestown park. €55 buy-in.
    With 1 buy in 1 top up.€10k guaranteed. Last night 101 runners.
    Prizepool 10k as advertised. Proper blind structure. Proper director.Croupier at every table.Refreshments for players ,high hand awards, bounty knockout payouts, a PROPER tourney with a pretty good players and terrific athmosphere. After listening to certain people give me nothing but abuse about my smaller events and then you go and play that f--kin ****. And I know it's **** not because of your post but because the guy who runs it rang me and boasted about how established they were and the big numbers they were getting. I asked him was it a freezeout and he said "whats that"
    My word. I'm gutted.

Nicky, I'm dumbfounded. Totallyf--king perplexed.
    I run monday night tournament in rochestown park. €55 buy-in.
    With 1 buy in 1 top up.€10k guaranteed. Last night 101 runners.
    Prizepool 10k as advertised. Proper blind structure. Proper director.Croupier at every table.Refreshments for players ,high hand awards, bounty knockout payouts, a PROPER tourney with a pretty good players and terrific athmosphere. After listening to certain people give me nothing but abuse about my smaller events and then you go and play that f--kin ****. And I know it's **** not because of your post but because the guy who runs it rang me and boasted about how established they were and the big numbers they were getting. I asked him was it a freezeout and he said "whats that"
    My word. I'm gutted.

I played it out of curiosity. You have a right to be gutted. I've said a lot to discredit your events which was unfair. Your tournaments are a million miles ahead of this crap but when you look at the value you get for your money there is not a hell of a lot of difference. That's the real problem I have with the €50 IPT events. Trust me if you set up in Limerick these fools wouldn't get a look in.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

see u in the fitz on thursday, i'll have a pint with u at the break and discuss more about that muppet

see u in the fitz on thursday, i'll have a pint with u at the break and discuss more about that muppet

I'd be delighted to see you put every fuktard running a "tournament" like this one in Limerick in their place. For now I am happy taking money from the idiots that go there and think I'm a fish. :D

Advertisement