Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insect problem

Options
  • 24-05-2005 12:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Just wondered if anyone could tell me what this insect is and how to get rid of them.

DSCF0870.JPG

They are small long black insects, quite fast and seem to be coming from around the bath area. They only appear 1 at a time but on a regular basis. They are driving me nuts and I can't seem to get rid of them.

I live in a ground floor apartment that is only 3 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Silver fish,associated with dampness....How is your ventilation in bathroom?

I get them from time to time also,must look out for some power or something,maybe ask in local hardware or Diy place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 caldwelk

Thanks MAD M. At least I now know what they are. It was starting to freak my girlfriend out.

This is the damage they are meant to cause

Paper, fabrics—starched or stained material especially—cotton, linen, photographs, book bindings and paste or sizes.

http://amol.org.au/recollections/3/3/06.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Most, if not all houses have these but you only really notice them when they are against a white background eg white floor tiles.

They like the moisture on bathroom floors and don't tell you girlfriend this but they LOVE cornflakes.

Check your food you can be 100% guaranteed that one of these things at least is in your cornflakes box somewhere.

The one good thing about them is that they never appear in numbers. Usually 1 or 2 at a time. If you ever see more than one or 2 then you're in deep trouble. Keep your clothes off the floor and eat in McDonalds :)

You can get dust that you squirt that kills them on contact. I must get some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

Eh just checked my cornflakes .... no sign of any silver fish ... Did find a cigarette butt and some toenail cuttings though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I have the same problem. I been using dust, and sprays, which aren't ideal as they are toxic and we have a small child. Have to ban them from the room. I'm also sarted using an electronic gizmos, but I think that drives them (the insects) to other rooms.

We started with one or two, until we started seeing 3 or 4 together. Since we got the sprays the numbers are reducing, now we see 5 dead a week instead of 5 or 6 dead a night which was happening when we started using the spray. I want to get some non toxic sprays or bait traps but dunno where to find them.

I can't find the source, though I've pulled out skirting boards, searched the attic, etc. I'm baffled where they are comming from. We do have a problem with a damp ensuite, and I've improved the ventation, (it has no windows) but they mainly seem to be in the living room. I wonder are they comming from the neighbours!

Advertisement