Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another bad beat story

Options
  • 23-05-2005 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭

Took part in the vcpoker.ie pub challenge in the Mill House in Stillorgan tonight. Did ok for a novice, out of 7 tables made it to the last three. The hand that killed me - I was dealt a pair of aces!

The blinds were 500/1000. Didn't want to let the whole table know I had a good hand so I checked (probably my biggest mistake). The flop came 8d 4c 2s. Guy to the left of me (hereafter known as Wild Guy), who had being bullying and raising like mad all night on crap hands raised 1000. I checked. The turn is a 10c. Wild Guy raises again and this time I re-raise him. Wild Guy in turn re-raised me an obscene amount of chips (forget how much) and I go all in. He checks. The river comes and it's a 6s. We turn over our cards and he's got 86o. Poker can be such a kick in the nuts sometimes.

What would I have done differently, I don't know. Maybe raised huge or went all in before the flop but Wild Guy probably would have went with me anyway, such was his pattern. What do you think?

Anyway, the ultimate bad beat happened to another guy just before I got knocked out. With not a hell of a lot of chips left, he goes all in after the flop came 2s 6s 9c. Everyone folds but Wild Guy - he's got Js 3d. The guy who went all in has all spades, something like 4s 7s. The turn comes and it's a spade. Wild Guy was dealing the cards and goes to collect the cards thinking he's beat but another guy at the table goes "whoah wait for the next card!". Sure enough, the next card is a spade. Wild Guy wins with Jack high. Felt so sorry for the guy who got knocked out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I know every one after me will say you should of raised preflop, but you got him all in with the best hand and 1 card to come, thats all you can hope to do. Just practice not getting so unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ardent wrote:
    What would I have done differently

Thing to remember is that Aces are still just one pair and when betting goes to the river card often the winning hand will be more than one pair. This is why i think there is so much 'Ah crap i got my Aces cracked posts'. IMO you only truely get your Aces cracked if you get 'all in' pre-flop* and get a caller who cracks them. So Aces are often overrated.
    The trick is not to let it get to the river or at least make it quite expensive for a caller to see each card to the river.

* if you get 'all in' pre-flop
    By this i dont mean you raise all in pre-flop when you get AA. What i mean is if you get all in pre flop by you raising-he re-raising-and you raising 'all in'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Ardent
    What was it like and how many people played?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Unlucky getting your Aces cracked. Somehow they've never been cracked personally, getting near 954 times now that they've held up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

lafortezza wrote:
    Unlucky getting your Aces cracked. Somehow they've never been cracked personally, getting near 954 times now that they've held up for me.

Of course they won't if you always fold them preflop. That's one sure way to avoid the suckout. Cheater!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I was all in with AA at a ten handed table once, one by one everyone went all-in too. 10 people all-in, huge pot. My AA held up, they are bulletproof!!
    I've never lost with them ever. Bohsman has had the same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I was all in with AA at a ten handed table once, one by one everyone went all-in too. 10 people all-in, huge pot.

If it was a SnG, surely the BB should have folded in this case?
    (assuming it wasn't you Lafortezza with A,A).
    Then the BB would have finished 2nd (granted 8 other players chips behind the leader) but if the other 9 went all in and assuming there's no split pot(s),
    there could only be 2 left. If 9 others went all in and you're in BB, you'd want a very very good hand to do the same. Even if you had A,A and there were 8 others all in before you, there must be a possibility of somebody else having A,A.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

okidoki987 wrote:
    Ardent
    What was it like and how many people played?

49 people took part and paid a 10 EUR entry free each and I was told that the first prize was 250 EUR, second 100 EUR etc etc. Apparently, the last game drew 140 players and the prizes were accordingly higher. The prize money depends on the takings.

It was pretty well set up. You had the tables set up out the back with the grooves in them for your chips, drink etc. Kicked off at 7:30 - you had to register from 6:15 onwards - and there were 3 officials monitoring the tables. Everyone started with 2000 chips and the blinds started at 50/100, doubling every twenty minutes (although after 400/800 they went to 500/1000).

Mixed bunch of people at it last night - mostly young lads. The guy to the left of me obviously never played Holdem before and the whole of my table was getting pissed off having to correct him and basically teach him how to play the game, especially as he was aggressively raking in all the chips. He got knocked out after a short while.

10 euros, you can't go wrong. I'd go again, I think it's on in Terenure somewhere next Wednesday night.

Advertisement