Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Problems

Options
  • 23-05-2005 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone eles here missing BBC2 on analogue and got horizontal snowflakes on many channels.?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

For people in Ursuline Cresent and Ursuline Court I can announce that they were upgrading that area for broadband today. As a result, BBC2, RTE1 and Setanta have been moved to different frequencies to allow for broadband signal.

The new frequencies can be found on Cabletext, on the hour every hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting - I'm just down the road in Cherrymount. I would'nt rule out a link.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

While we're complaining about NTL..
    I have MMDS Digital, should I be able to use Aertel and Ceefax? Aertel works once every 6 or 7 weeks for 10 minutes or so (and theres much rejoicing) and ceefax seems to work on BBC1 or BBC2 but rarely on both.

Very odd. Aertel is useful for the 'oul soccer news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Trotter wrote:
    While we're complaining about NTL..
    I have MMDS Digital, should I be able to use Aertel and Ceefax? Aertel works once every 6 or 7 weeks for 10 minutes or so (and theres much rejoicing) and ceefax seems to work on BBC1 or BBC2 but rarely on both.

Very odd. Aertel is useful for the 'oul soccer news.

NTL is required by law to carry Irish channels - and their teletext services. Not sure if that extends to broadcasting the teletext of all its carried channels, but you should definitely complain if you're losing text regularly. It *has* to be provided by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

RTÉ1 was carrying a message last night and Setanta had sound but no picture. retuned and all was fine

so broadband is coming to my area then. shame i am moving to a new part of the city. oh well

• Advertisement

I cant get any analogue at the moment....oops! I goofed this time, I put a plug lead back in the wrong hole! :o

That said there is a new issue - sparklies. On every analogue channel since sometime Monday.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

mike65 wrote:
    Interesting - I'm just down the road in Cherrymount. I would'nt rule out a link.

Mike.

See this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=253000&page=1&pp=20 :)

Sat 1 is all sparkles for me, like a poorly alligned dish tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Mike are you having probs with the signal dropping every so often too? I'm in Ashley Grove and it's mayhem trying to watch something only to get no signal for anything between 30 secs to 2 mins

mike65 wrote:
    I cant get any analogue at the moment....oops! I goofed this time, I put a plug lead back in the wrong hole! :o

That said there is a new issue - sparklies. On every analogue channel since sometime Monday.

Mike.

Gone since today (Wednesday). :)

• Advertisement

The digital feed is actually stable this weather! Analogue is okay apart from the horizontal snow flakes and the fact BBC 2 is missing and has been for 6 days!

edit Its been moved! If you cant find BBC 2 retune to Ch 22. And yes I just checked the snow has cleared.

Oh yes, Mossy SAT 1 has been like that for ages. NTL have also forgotten to rottate the channels (it should be TVE in the evenings).

I cant wait for the new owners to get working on the system.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    The digital feed is actually stable this weather! Analogue is okay apart from the horizontal snow flakes and the fact BBC 2 is missing and has been for 6 days!

Oh yes, Mossy SAT 1 has been like that for ages. NTL have also forgotten to rottate the channels (it should be TVE in the evenings).

I cant wait for the new owners to get working on the system.

Mike.

And what do you think they'll do differently? :D

Well first off they are going to HAVE to pump a load of money into this system if they want to make some money in the long-run. NTL only barely scraped a profit last year and while takeup of Sky's digital service has declined in the last year or so, more people are still opting for Sky as opposed to NTL.

This will continue to be the trend if NTL (UCG) refuse to invest in the network.

Well first off they are going to HAVE to pump a load of money into this system if they want to make some money in the long-run. NTL only barely scraped a profit last year and while takeup of Sky's digital service has declined in the last year or so, more people are still opting for Sky as opposed to NTL.

This will continue to be the trend if NTL (UCG) refuse to invest in the network.

I presume we're talking about Waterford? That network is fully fibre-fed, with a large percentage now broadband enabled - the remainder following on it's heels? What exactly would you see them spend the money on in Waterford? :)

Hookers and beer

Hookers and beer

Good idea.

in the johns park area there is a load of sparkles on some of the channels

not that it bothers me now but a worthy comment none the less

Advertisement