Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop n00b

Options
  • 23-05-2005 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hey guys and gals.

So i've just built a new PC recently and i've decided that I want to make the move finally and get myself a nice lappy. I'm gonna strip the PC and sell the lot then get a nice laptop and probably a wee shuttle PC but i've never really kept up with all this new laptop technology or who makes quality over who makes CARP.

I've been looking around jes.de and saw this sexy looker but again, i'm not sure if HP are a decent laptop to go for? So PLEASE, any help/suggestions would be welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Hey Rid,

looks like a good one alright, but i think ill let some of the experts on this boards give you the low-down. If you notice other threads on the Laptop forum about the Aldi laptop which seems to have similar specs to your own . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

That one you are looking at(the HP one) will be huge.
    Obviously with a 17" screen, but with those specs and a Pentium 4, it will be more of a desktop replacement lappy than a portable lappy(which from what I gather, is what you're looking for).

It has very good specs though, and comes with all the handy built-ins like bluetooth, card reader and wireless internet.

Overall a good machine imo, but it more than likely will be about 4-5cm high when the lid is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Ok, but as more of a desktop replacement will that mean the battery on it will suck or it will need to be running on the mains more often? Coz i would still like to lug it around the house(not outside of the house :))

I also want a gig of ram, and not sure if there's a typo on that page as it says in the detailed specs at the top that it comes with 512 but then in the quick specs at the bottom it says 1024. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Wannes acer

I wont go for a 17" , first i wanted one too , but the 17inches , dont last long mostly , always short battery life , I saw the acer inspiron 1800 , nice thing , but onley 1hour battery life
    going for a 15.4" , last 4-5hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Laptops are split right down the middle with one type being small, sexy, portable and having 4-6 hour+ battery life but only 1.2-1.9ghz processor, wireless networking and centrino tech with the other type being bigger, heavier, poor bat life (2-3hrs maybe) but v good specs like excellent graphics and fast cpus (3+Ghz). Shop around as much as you can and its defo a good idea go look at laptops instore somewhere even if u end up actually buying online. Personally i dont like dell laptops, when placed beside Fujitsu Siemens or HP laptops they lack the quality and i dont think they're as well built as i used to fix them but thats just me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

pclancy - I think you are being over generous on the battery times. I have a once top of the range IBM T40 Centrino and all I can get is 3 hours on a good day with all power saving features on. My own personal laptop, however, is a 3.2Ghz P4 and I get at best an hour.

Rid - I have a HP Pavillion but with a 15.5" display and it is one heavy mother. It is really a desktop replacement, ideal for using around the house wherever you are near a power outlet. The card reader is great if you use PDAs/Digital cameras (which I do) and of course the built-in wireless networking is the job. I have 1Gig of Ram and it plays Doom3, HL2 and FIFA 2005 without problem.

But, and it's a big but, if mobility and battery life are what you are looking for, then go for a Centrino. If it is processing power with crap battery life, go for a P4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

tom dunne wrote:
    pclancy - I think you are being over generous on the battery times. I have a once top of the range IBM T40 Centrino and all I can get is 3 hours on a good day with all power saving features on. My own personal laptop, however, is a 3.2Ghz P4 and I get at best an hour.

QUOTE]

Maybe so with IBM but we have a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S in work which has specs of 5 hours, average in real life use 4-5 hours on battery. T40 prob has larger screen but most of the centrino laptops ive seen/used got at least 4 hours.

Advertisement