Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norah Jones... any thoughts....

Options
  • 23-05-2005 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I can't decide if I like her or hate her. I have her fist album and her live Blues stuff and some of it is great, good arrangements and stuff but some of it is so LAME! and sometimes her voice just annoys me... know what I mean. But the musicians she works with are great! Jessie Harris... what a legend!

How do you feel about Norah Jones 17 votes

Love Her
    0% 0 votes
    Hate Her
    41% 7 votes
    Not too sure really
    17% 3 votes
    Couldn't give a rats ass
    41% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Why??? why did you vote for hate her..... doesn't anyone want to talk about Jazz??
    It's hard to get a discussion going in this forum :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

Hey Saint, I actually havent much of her stuff, although your right its hard to get a disscussion started in the Jazz / Blues forum!

Yea, I know. I mean you'd think that not very many people listened to Jazz or something. Shezzz :rolleyes:

Don't they know that they are missing out on one of the greatest genres of music?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Alkali

Yeap Ill have to agree with you, most people people dont give Jazz a chance, they just say its crap without even listening to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Alkali wrote:
    Yeap Ill have to agree with you, most people people dont give Jazz a chance, they just say its crap without even listening to it!

So true, I think she has a great voice, not too mad about the music though.

I more a late Coltrane man myself! Bring on the mayhem!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

I like Elvin Jones though....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think she has a fantastic voice - the best female voice I`ve heard in the last 10 years.i have both her albums(imported her debut from her website as it hadnt been released here at the time)and think they are great.

She really has a beautiful quality to her voice and is quite a talented musician too.

One track that she does which I`d love to hear but cant find anywhere is a cover of AC/DCs "Ride On".I think she does it as an encore in her shows but she hasnt "officially" released it but I though there would be an mp3 floating around somewhere :rolleyes:

Well thank god! People are finally talking....
    I may not like what I'm reading
    adox wrote:
    I think she has a fantastic voice - the best female voice I`ve heard in the last 10 years
    But at least people are partisipating

Well thank god! People are finally talking....
    I may not like what I'm reading
    adox wrote:
    I think she has a fantastic voice - the best female voice I`ve heard in the last 10 years
    But at least people are participating!!

By the way Fusion, love your new sig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

I like Norah Jones. She suffers from over exposure but that doesn't mean she is bad. Her first album was superior to her last. Some of her latest material has been a bit light-weight but overall i'm glad a young artist like Norah has brought the jazz and blues to a new audience and is helping get people into quality stuff. As i always say, i'd much rather have someone like Norah Jones sell ten million albums that someone like Westlife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 meathguy

Norah Jones is pretty good... a good vocalist but is just suffering from
    over production... if you ever get a chance to check out Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrongs duets album from the mid fifties.
    They recorded 12 classic renditions of standards in 2 seperate days..
    so good they used the run through rehersals as the final take on some numbers!! Imagine that from Norah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 olalao

Norah Jones is pretty good jazz singer, but i think old jazzers such as Ella Fitzgerald or even Bellie Holiday are much better!

Hey, what do people think about new jazz star Katie Melua?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

I really don't like her - the music is just too safe, you know? She's obviously very talented and she has a great band, but it just doesn't grab me the way I think good jazz should. Same for Katie Melua. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I bought Norah Jones' 1st album in London when it first came out and I was impressed by her voice and by her songs but I thought her second album was awful, I found the songs boring and only listened to it twice. I wouldn't buy anymore of her music. I have to say though I'm a huge fan of Katie Melua, I much prefer her voice and I love her songs, lyrically I find them interesting to listen to and I also think they're very catchy. having seen her in concert I can't wait for her 2nd album to come out as she played some of the songs from it and they intrigued me

olalao wrote:
    Norah Jones is pretty good jazz singer, but i think old jazzers such as Ella Fitzgerald or even Bellie Holiday are much better!

Hey, what do people think about new jazz star Katie Melua?

I'm sorry... WHAT? Have you lost your mind or do you just not really know what your talking about? I'm going to go with the latter and cut you some slack, but seriously, listen to Ella Fitz solo or duetting with Joe Pass or Louis Armstrong and you will realise that she was one of THE greatest jazz singers of all time. With a powerful knowledge of music and understanding of melody she created some of the most wonderful listening experiences!

There is ABSOLUTELY no comparison with her or Billie Holiday for that matter and Norah "Poxy" Jones or Katie "sorry what's Jazz" Melua
    These girls might have nice voices but they have NO concept of real jazz

.....Well, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on these musicians, they possibly do have a concept of jazz. But it just doesn't come across in the music that they are producing at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Skycat

My two cents.

I've never listened to an album but from what I've heard here and there I have to say she is a big NO NO for me along with Katie Melua.I don't like their music and I can't say I appreciate what they do.

Anyone ever listen to Shirley Horn? Now she was a great jazz singer, and that's coming from someone who doesn't like vocal jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Why??? why did you vote for hate her..... doesn't anyone want to talk about Jazz??
    It's hard to get a discussion going in this forum :(

If you're going to be as aggressive and offensive as you have been in this thread I for one am not surprised and have already lost all interest in this forum if all 'discussions' are attacked in this way

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I like Katie Melua too but never considered her music as jazz :confused:

Anyone heard the new Madeline Peyroux album?

She sounds scarily like Billie Holiday and the album is rather fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

lol, you ask for a discussion, and than when someone gives their opinion, you jump down their throat.

I like Norah Jones, but i'm more of a Blues and piano jazz man myself.

• Advertisement

I had no time at all for Norah Jones, until I read through the booklet... I had no idea Bill Frisell and Brian Blade played on the first album!

I had no time at all for Norah Jones, until I read through the booklet... I had no idea Bill Frisell and Brian Blade played on the first album!

That's the thing about her and one of the only reasons I haven't dismissed her completely, she has some GREAT musicians working with her.

TimAy wrote:
    lol, you ask for a discussion, and than when someone gives their opinion, you jump down their throat.

Point taken, I promise to be nice from now on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

I seriously cannot stand Norah Jones. Anything I've heard from her is so empty and bland. There's nothing in the music. The musicians don't have anything to play.

But most of all - her voice is the blandest thing ever. I know really when it gets to the sound of someone's voice, it's a matter of taste, so I can accept that some people like it. But it drives me ****ing nuts. It's so unclear. It's not a sweet tone at all. It's like a rotten kiwi blended.

And her over-exposure drives me further round the bend.

Don't think much of Katie Melua either.

But seriously, why do people think of these girls as something related to jazz? I really haven't heard any jazz melodies from them at all. Norah just sounds like she's singing in her sleep. Jazz, whether fast or slow, has much more drive and character, and basically, music.

Fridge...I think I love you ;) and here's the reason why......
    But most of all - her voice is the blandest thing ever. I know really when it gets to the sound of someone's voice, it's a matter of taste, so I can accept that some people like it. But it drives me ****ing nuts. It's so unclear. It's not a sweet tone at all. It's like a rotten kiwi blended.

Advertisement