Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend someone to rotovate and sew grass seed

Options
  • 23-05-2005 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Can anyone reccommend someone to rotvate, level and reseed a 50ft x 50ft garden who is not too expensive and will do a good job.
    Its in the Swords area.
    What price should i expect to pay for this.
    Was going to do it myself but just haven't the time to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its a labour intensive job so you will probably end up paying quite a bit.
    could you not do it yourself, maybe break it up into 2 or 3 sections and do a bit each weekend for the next 3 weeks?
    At least with yourself you always know what you are going to get...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

On of my friend had a dig w/e. They provided all the Hire equip, beer and BBQ and his friends help sort out the Garden. One thing though is if you have weeds. Use a week killer and leave for a few weeks before digging no good trying to get rid of weeds on the day, Doest work and the weeds will be back before the grass.

Garyh3

garyh3 wrote:
    One thing though is if you have weeds. Use a week killer and leave for a few weeks before digging no good trying to get rid of weeds on the day, Doest work and the weeds will be back before the grass.

Garyh3
    good advice, use the ones that kill everything about 2 weeks before you intend to start sowing the lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Also if you have pets...Dogs, Cats, keep them off while you are using the weed killer.

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Thanks for the replies.
    All good plans, but i'll only be in the country about 2 days a week and i can't just hand Mrs pollyantic a shovel and tell her to have it done when i come back :)

• Advertisement

and use a dedicated pair of shoes.set of clothes for this.
    Weedkiller, lawn food and fertilizer will stain your clothes/carpet for life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am in the same position as you, (except for the 'out of the country bit')

I had a local farmer come in an rotovate.
    Then meself, and herself and the brother and anyone available came in every evening over the last week and we gathered all the big (i.e bigger than a golf ball) stones into piles. On sat, i loaded the piles into a trailer and shifted into one spot, where our garage will be ultimatly.

Next i am going to hire a local JCB man into to move the soil around to get the levels. Also, I am going to run pipes to each corner of the site from the electricity supply and water supply, in case i ever want an extra tap or plug.

Also, at the low points, i am going to get the JCB to dig a big hole, and half fill it with the stones we picked, for a soak hole.

When that is done, I'll get the farmer back with a power harrow, and when he has that done, I'll spend a few evenings raking out the lawn, nice and level and make piles of the smaller stone.

After they are removed, I'll rent a seed spreader, (cheap), and spend an evening sowing, and then watering.

So I think, the approach to take, is do it in stages, and most importantly, many hands make light work. :)

I hope this is of some help. (P.S. I am only at JCB stage now, so don't take this as gospel truth)

**Also be very wary, and careful, of where your oil/gas line is, your power cabels, water and waste pipes are.**

Advertisement