Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL: 1X01 / 1X02 - "Pilot" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options
  • 22-05-2005 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "PILOT" -

Episode Title: "Pilot (1) / Pilot (2)"
    Airdate: May 23rd 2005

Synopsis (from TVToMe):
    Stripped of everything, the 48 survivors scavenge what they can from the plane for their survival. Some panic. Some pin their hopes on rescue. A few find inner strength they never knew they had—like Kate who, with no medical training, suddenly finds herself suturing the doctor's wounds. The band of friends, family, enemies and strangers must work together against the cruel weather and harsh terrain. But the intense howls of the mysterious creatures stalking the jungle fill them all with fear. Fortunately, thanks to the calm leadership of quick-thinking Jack and level-headed Kate, they have hope. But even heroes have secrets, as the survivors will come to learn.

Next New Episode: 1X03 - Tabula Rasa - 30th May 2005

What did you think of the "Pilot"? 49 votes

Excellent!
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    73% 36 votes
    Average
    18% 9 votes
    Poor
    6% 3 votes
    Terrible!
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

These are awesome episodes enjoy.

The pilot cost 10million to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Giblet wrote:
    These are awesome episodes enjoy.

The pilot cost 10million to make!
    Yeah.. hopefully we'll get a good discussion going hereafter!

Cost approximately 10 million and worth every penny! It cost $250,000 just to ship the wrecked plane pieces to Hawaii.

Anyways, a truly fantastic pilot to a fantastic series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

5 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so pissed off! For some odd reason, I got it into my head that it wasn't on til 10, I just thought of it at 9:12 p.m. and switched on then. It was at the scene where the guy was trying to get the woman to put some sorta alcohol on his cut? Then it showed the pregnant lady on the beach.

What happened before that?

Other than the plane crash, I'm assuming!

• Advertisement

tinkerbell wrote:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so pissed off! For some odd reason, I got it into my head that it wasn't on til 10, I just thought of it at 9:12 p.m. and switched on then. It was at the scene where the guy was trying to get the woman to put some sorta alcohol on his cut? Then it showed the pregnant lady on the beach.

What happened before that?

Other than the plane crash, I'm assuming!
    Ah for fecks sake!

Could those O2 ads be more annoying?!?... "Jack just sent me a picture of the Island he's stuck on!!" :mad:

Well, depending on how you look at it, you didn't miss that much tinkerbell. I think the pilot is fantastic and every minute of it is essential viewing.

Anyways, you missed the opening sequence with the wreckage of the crash on the beach and some brief introductions to a couple of the main characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just watching it now. Have seen all the American show to date and I can see my self watching them through again. Everyone is so different. :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

basquille wrote:
    Ah for fecks sake!

Could those O2 ads be more annoying?!?... "Jack just sent me a picture of the Island he's stuck on!!" :mad:

Yep. *groan* If Jack can text bundle yer wan, surely he can give enough info to tell her he's alive and that the search should be continued!

Now, all I'm waiting for in this thread is a mention of "dinosaur" so we can all go, "IT'S NOT A DINOSAUR!" (Though, coincidentally, many of the island scenes *are* filmed in the same place where Jurassic Park was filmed. That doesn't mean the scientists there left one behind, though! ;) )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

....the Republician Guard - Brilliant. Gets me every time!!

Hyzepher

Heh, I really wanna know what the "dinosaur" is :) Turns out I didn't miss the plane crash at all, twas on after the first break!

And yes - those O2 ads are so so so irritating :mad:

Merry is cool in Lost, hehe :)

• Advertisement

OK, folks, those of you that care, time to get antsy and complain...

RTE have cut several scenes out at the start of Part II.

I began my US version in tandem with the start of the ad-break. Now there's a 4% speed-up on PAL versus NTSC (due to 25 frames for PAL versus 29.97 for NTSC), so I expected the two to fall out of synch very quickly (they did).

What I was looking to see was if the version RTE were broadcasting was the US official broadcast version as opposed to the original pilot one (shuffled scenes, no episode credits for Part II's cast and crew). What I didn't expect to see was this...

They're using the Part II official ABC one (which many on this thread would have seen.)

It begins with Charlie, Jack and Kate heading back to the beach and the "Every trek needs a coward!" intro to the flashback. Then comes Charlie and the drugs in the loo, and then... Well, on RTE we got Michael asking Sun if she had seen Walt. What we should have seen was Boone saying to Shannon, "Well, I see you've found your bag" and the whole "Is that your boyfriend?"/"My brother, Boone. God's friggin' gift to humanity" scene with Shannon and Claire. RTE also chopped key lines like, "You know what it (the baby) is?"/"Not yet. I haven't felt the baby move since yesterday." (This has resonnance later when Jin offers seafood.)

Next they chopped out Sun on the beach looking at Jin, and Michael coming up to her. They put back in the "Have you seen my boy?" and the continuation of that exchange (she speaks Korean, Jin tells her to button up.) Next chopped out is Walt wandering in the wood and going, "Vincent! Vincent! C'mere boy!" before seeing the handcuffs in the distance (also cut). RTE resumes then - going from Jin on the beach to Walt PICKING them up.

So, why is all that gone? Easy. Those scenes carry the Part II episode credits. RTE, who wanted to keep their "season premiere double episode" looking like a movie (of which they could easily have ASKED Touchstone for a version) didn't bother to see if there was one and just chopped two weekly episodes into one. (They also did an odd "Are you hooked yet?" intro voiceover, and played the Lost logo from the start of ep 2.)

Long story short - cos you must all be bored of this now - they chopped out a good three minutes to make it look movie-like, and somehow felt it necessary to introduce it as a "second" episode anyway. Bizarre. Every single scene missing had a "Guest starring..." / "Produced by..." / "Created by..." in it. They obviously felt those would be too much of a distraction compared to actual dialogue that helped the plot along... (Claire's baby, the relationship between Shannon and Boone, Jin and Sun's weird relationship...)

And don't get me started on their out-of-synch in-house subtitles that have wonky grammar and go "SPEAKS CHINESE" for Sun and Jin...

Sorry for the long post which I'm sure may seem insignificant to newcomers to the show, but for those of us who've grown to love it, this is pretty shoddy treatment from the national broadcaster. (No wonder people aquire it elsewhere...)

I thought there was some dialogue / scenes missing....

Pissing RTE! Wouldn't expect anything less off them!

tinkerbell wrote:
    Heh, I really wanna know what the "dinosaur" is :) Turns out I didn't miss the plane crash at all, twas on after the first break!

Tinkerbell, the crash you saw was in flashback. It'll happen twice more before the end of the pilot. The beach bits you missed out on (post-crash) were:

Jack woke up in the forest, alone; a dog was looking at him. He stumbled to the beach, found a plane wreck there. People were screaming. A guy got sucked into the engine. Jack did CPR on a woman (the woman who was sitting opposite him on the flight), and helped the pregnant girl, Claire. We met many of the other survivors, including Boone (who went off to get pens for CPR - he wasn't very good at it, though he said he was a lifeguard.) Many explosions later, things calmed down and Jack went off to take care of his own wound, which sounds like where you joined in.

Another tidbit that's a bit unusual. Longer-time fans of the show won't have ever seen its end credits before. The ABC and Pro7 ones have promos on the end - you can just about make them out in the top-half of the German screenings, but until now we've never seen the credits full-screen or what music it has. (Just will be interesting to see what they sound like.)

RTE are ruining this with the amount of ads they are showing - its taking away from the tension

Hyzepher

It's amazing how young and / or different they all look.... especially Sayid and Sawyer!

Especially compared to the character's we're watching in the US right now.

doh.ie wrote:
    .. but until now we've never seen the credits full-screen or what music it has. (Just will be interesting to see what they sound like.)
    Love the little 'Lost' jingle in the end credits... after watching 23 episodes... i never heard it til now!! :D

yeah noticed that too.

I think Charlies comment "guys, where are we?" really hit home with me. I was thinking before that the island is far too big to be unchartered or uninhabited - it is if it doesn't exist in the 'outside' world.
    I am now sure that the raft wont get far due to some unexplained reason - maybe no matter which direction they go - they always end up at the isalnd

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

yes, the ads totally ruin it. But it is very very good, all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Totally blew me away. My attention usually can be divided between TV & homeowrk, but that totally swallowed me up. Unforgettable TV at it's best!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

really liking jack,kate, charlie & hurley straight off, can definitely see charlie becoming my favourite character

gahh both boone & shannon are irritating as f***

isnt it dangerous for pregnant women to eat sushi ?? seemed pretty stupid to me, thought the scene was good though

i like the sawyer/sayid playoff...... sawyer is an annoying f***er though, although i admit he can act(unlike boone & shannon)

anyone else think the music detracted from the episode ?
    loved the outright chaos right at the beggining though, great opening!!

herobear wrote:
    really liking jack,kate, charlie & hurley straight off, can definitely see charlie becoming my favourite character

gahh both boone & shannon are irritating as f***

isnt it dangerous for pregnant women to eat sushi ?? seemed pretty stupid to me, thought the scene was good though

i like the sawyer/sayid playoff...... sawyer is an annoying f***er though, although i admit he can act(unlike boone & shannon)
    First impressions are nothing in 'Lost'... prepare for your opinions to change as times goes on!

For example, Sawyer is probably the favourite character of most long-time 'Lost' fans on here.. except me... can't beat John Locke! :D
    herobear wrote:
    Music is amazing.. maybe not that first episode but i captured some music from the show (in a thread on the main forum) over the course of the first season and some of it really is fantastic! Though i wouldn't recommend listening to them as it is full of spoiler-heavy dialogue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

herobear wrote:

loved the outright chaos right at the beggining though, great opening!!

Thought the music was ok. The flash back scenes on the plane were excellent, even if they did add a little more to my fear of flying.

Meh, tbh I was totally disappointed with the pilot :(

I thought it was gonna be loads better, but I found it quite boring in places. The ads especially ruined it, just as it was starting to get going again, they'd show that annoying O2 ad :(

I wait in the hope that the next episode will be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

herobear wrote:
    ...isnt it dangerous for pregnant women to eat sushi ?? seemed pretty stupid to me, thought the scene was good though...
    not as stupid as getting on the plane in the first place. you're nto supposed to fly after 5 months pregnant. 8 months? wtf!

and sushi, yeah, I'd say that yer man is looking out for his own interests and saving them from having another mouth to feed. he doesn't seem to be much of a nice bloke in general.

bet he speaks english too.

didn't see them myself (no teletext) but wtf is it with the 'speaks chinese' on the subtitles? he (and his missus) look very japanese. it's like mixing up african and indian. thanks RTE (Really Tick Eejits!). in any case, they already had the japanese bits subtitled in English, so how hard would it have been for them to do it properly?

Korean...

You really messed up there eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

Giblet wrote:
    Korean...

You really messed up there eh.

heh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Claire getting on the plain in explained later,give it some time for feck sake!

vibe666 wrote:
    didn't see them myself (no teletext) but wtf is it with the 'speaks chinese' on the subtitles? he (and his missus) look very japanese. it's like mixing up african and indian. thanks RTE (Really Tick Eejits!). in any case, they already had the japanese bits subtitled in English, so how hard would it have been for them to do it properly?

I can't understand how RTE's subtitlers didn't just look up an episode guide or a press pack to find out the nationality of these two characters - presumption of something like this is something that a subtitler should never do. You check, research were necessary and then give the correct information. If they were in any way unsure, they should have subtitled (SPEAKS FOREIGN LANGUAGE). At least then this would have been accurate.

To be fair, I suppose if you were to have (SPEAKS KOREAN), it's one piece of information a deaf viewer will have compared to the hearing viewers (it isn't established in actual dialogue that Sun and Jin are Korean until a few episodes in).

Likewise, when a song is subtitled and the name will appear (though RTE probably won't bother), like, say, # "Wash Away" - Joe Purdy # (in ep 3), it's more detail to the deaf/hard of hearing viewers than the hearing ones who would otherwise not have that established. (Though I think the reason this is done is cos a deaf viewer might recognise the song's existence from elsewhere.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement