Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dvd

Options
  • 22-05-2005 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the lost dvd box set is out or available yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

It will be available in the U.S. in September, we won't get it for several months after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kazaanova wrote:
    It will be available in the U.S. in September, we won't get it for several months after that.
    Can ye not just get it from play.com ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You can preorder it here

Cool box too

• Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep.. am actually ordering it from Amazon this week.

Am gonna get the following three:

Lost - The Complete First Season
    Undeclared - The Complete Series
    Scrubs - The Complete First Season

Costing me a total of €91 inc. delivery and all. Not at all bad for a 7 disc set, 4 disc set and 3 disc set. Imagine how much all that would cost in your local record shop, or HMV for that matter! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I already have it ordered from amazon.com at a nice price of 35 euro :D

• Advertisement

tvnutz wrote:
    I already have it ordered from amazon.com at a nice price of 35 euro :D
    Yeah.. think Amazon definantly is the cheapest to order it off anyways! Excellent price for a 7 disc set!

Works out around €50 (!!) on PlayUSA.com depending on the currency you pay in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

basquille wrote:
    Yeah.. think Amazon definantly is the cheapest to order it off anyways! Excellent price for a 7 disc set!

still though, customs hell!!!

order it through dvdpacific(what im doing), they undermark there dvds so they dont get hit

herobear wrote:
    still though, customs hell!!!

order it through dvdpacific(what im doing), they undermark there dvds so they dont get hit
    DVDPacific is a tad pricey though on the 'Lost' DVD ... have used them for other DVD's and they are excellent!

I'll take my chance with Amazon... and besides, what would happen if i used the Gift option on Amazon to mark it as a gift? Can't do anything in customs if it's a gift.. :D... hmmm.. anyone tried this?
    For items sold by Amazon.com, if you check the "Add gift-wrap/note" box, you can have us wrap your gift or add a free gift note. Please note that you must add a gift note or select wrapping for your order to be designated as a gift. Even if you are having the items shipped to yourself, you should let us know your order is a gift. Here's why:

* We won't include the price of the items on the packing slip included with the order...

Hmmmmm... brainwave?! :D

well actually gifts only go unnoticed if they're under 30 euro(or the equivalent of)

you'll be hit, if it goes over that most likely

herobear wrote:
    well actually gifts only go unnoticed if they're under 30 euro(or the equivalent of)

you'll be hit, if it goes over that most likely
    Look above to see my edit - no price tag... no charges!

• Advertisement

interesting idea, could work but....

no price tag....automatically searched by customs ??

anyhow, hope it works out for ye

herobear wrote:
    interesting idea, could work but....

no price tag....automatically searched by customs ??
    Doubtful... considering how presumably thousands of buyers ship gifts to loved ones / relatives from Amazon every day. Customs can't check 'em all.

And besides, someone correct me if i'm wrong here (i more than likely am) but I thought the whole thing with gifts going through customs was that you couldn't charge customs to a gift as the reciever of the gift would have to pay the charges.. and they could accept no responsibility as they never purchased the goods.

Hmmm... interesting little segway out of the topic at hand... :D Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

basquille wrote:

Nice selection. Undeclared was a great series. I see the DVD set has 18 commentaries. Looks like a worthwhile purchase

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Nice selection. Undeclared was a great series. I see the DVD set has 18 commentaries. Looks like a worthwhile purchase
    Yeah.. fantastic series! Probably not as good as 'Freaks & Geeks' but still an excellent and very under-rated series!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

basquille wrote:
    I'll take my chance with Amazon... and besides, what would happen if i used the Gift option on Amazon to mark it as a gift? Can't do anything in customs if it's a gift.. :D... hmmm.. anyone tried this?

Hmmmmm... brainwave?! :D

Clever, but I think you may be safe enough with Amazon.com (US) in any case because *everything* I've bought from tehm DVD-wise over the last 12 months (including some multiple-box set orders which were ridiculously likely to get stopped by customs) were all passed fine... because Amazon.com now appear to ship your order to GERMANY and post it on from Germany to you.

Because this is intra-EU, I don't think it can be opened AT ALL! Clever, if that is Amazon's ploy, but it's certainly been working for me for a long while.

As for Lost's DVD - is anyone else, like me, a tad concerned that the show will get a Region 2 release which has - God forbid - even more extras?! (The US one is pretty standout as is, but I wouldn't be surprised if an R2 had a few more bits and pieces.)

As it will be released several months after the Region 1 one, there's a fair chance there'll be time to throw in a few more, or record extra commentaries or interviews. (I got stung by this on Carnivále last year - the US one had one cool feature less than the R2 one (a cast and crew interview with the Museum of Television). Grated on me to the point where I just ended up selling me R1 one to get an R2! Bloody annoying, though...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

doh.ie wrote:
    As for Lost's DVD - is anyone else, like me, a tad concerned that the show will get a Region 2 release which has - God forbid - even more extras?! (The US one is pretty standout as is, but I wouldn't be surprised if an R2 had a few more bits and pieces.)
    I doubt it... Region 2 DVDs usually have less stuff... They might have some interviews or whatever but they'd just be crap off British TV...

Look at the Anchorman DVD... that has a whole extra movie (Wake Up Ron Burgundy... which rocks:)) on the Region 1 set but the Region 2 DVD just has some deleted scenes, a couple of nice extras and the Making Of...

steveland? wrote:
    I doubt it... Region 2 DVDs usually have less stuff... They might have some interviews or whatever but they'd just be crap off British TV...
    Also, 'Scrubs - Series 1' (Region 1) comes with a cool holographic X-Ray which will not be available with the Region 2 edition.

doh.ie - cheers for all the info regarding Amazon and their international shipping procedure! Quite interesting! Might slap the gift tag on it anyways.. it's free, as far as i know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

steveland? wrote:

I agree that on the whole, R2 tends to have less, but I've been stung a few times with TV shows, so am a little wary before buying. (The 24 DVDs have some shorter episodes on the season 1 and 2 box sets, for example, and some of the 'Previously on Buffy' segments are dropped from the US ones as well.)

There is likely to be a Channel 4 documentary/interviews show on before the launch later in the summer, but this would be there production - probably won't make it to DVD.

www.dvdcompare.net is good for checking what both have.

Movies definitely are always a stronger R1 product, possibly becasue rights are often difficult to secure internationally for some of the extras on R1 discs.)

Jury's still out for me when it comes to television, purely because rights are rarely an issue and sometimes R2 producers have a much chance to build on the R1 release. (In Carnivále's case, I suppose they had to add *something* because the release had so few extras. To be fair, with the wealth of extra's planned, the Lost DVD will certainly not need adding to.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭SteM

Lost S1 works out at €30.78 from DVD Soon (www.dvdsoon.com). Even less and with free shipping if you're a member :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Well I do know that the R1 Family Guy dvds have commentaries on them while the R2 ones have nothing at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement