Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suede Paint

Options
  • 22-05-2005 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

I would be interested to know if anyone has tried using any of the suede paints by crown. There seems to be a certain technique needed when applying - is this easy for a total non-diy person like meself??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have painted with Ralph Lauren denim type and leather type paints, its not hard to but very time consuming. The results are very impressive tho each one a genuine indivuadual colour :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah i done a mates sitting room in this paint.You will have to brush it on though as it doesnt recommend or would i to use a roller,there is no technique really,just dont lay it off in vertical strokes be as random as possible.

Nice effect i have to say.You will have to give it two coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I did one of the bedrooms in the lighter cream colour...just use a large brush, the biggest you can find that will fit in the tin opening and brush on in random strokes.
    Its very hard wearing and looks great...it's permanent though and if you don't like it, it'll be hard to replace in years to come which is why I suggest starting or doing it with a neutral enough colour in a small area.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Yea it is a lovely effect. Just don't loose heart after the first coat. It looks crâp until the second coat has been applied. It requires no skill as the technique is just random strokes.

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the replies, it seems you all think it's a good thing anyway.

I do have another question though. I haven't actually seen this paint in real life, just heard about it. From the cover of the paint can it looks like it has varying shades within the colour, spread over the whole wall, lighter here and darker there. How can this be? Is it an effect of the texturing within the paint, the way it catches the light?

Or has Crown achieved what manys a junior labourer has fallen foul of and created a tin of tartan paint?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

There is a light sand in the paint which gives a lightly textured effect which as you quite rightly guessed catches the light differently over the wall.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Get the Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen look you're going for here http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_paint_walls/article/0,1797,HGTV_3770_1397914,00.html

TBH this stuff sounds horrendously tacky and 'Hyacinth Bucket'-esque, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Magpie, I know what you mean. Mr Bowman's taste isn't exactly mine either. We're just looking for something a little different in one of the rooms as the rest of the place is... magnolia. <sigh>

Cheers for the link anyway, so they weren't lying on the paint tin.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Bnster, its not tacky at all....not sure what the darker colours would be like but we did the Fawn one. It's neutral enough without being too boring

Advertisement