Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The White Stripes

• 22-05-2005 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Whats all this talk about the genius of the White Stripes? Tbh i'm starting to think they are a bunch of fakers, I get very little from listening to their music, tell me why they're so good (apart from the seven nation army bass line)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

listen to the bass line of seven nation army and listen to the guitar at the start of jimmy eat world's get it faster.

any similarity? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The new album is pretty uninteresting to be honest. But I guess the last album was an album of songs built around catchy riffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Like all music, it's all a matter of taste.
    If raw riff filled loud music is your thing, I think the White Stripes do it pretty well. I dont have the new album, but like the sound of the new tune and still give all their old records a spin now and again.
    I've seen them live, and gotta say they were amazing. My internal organs never have vibrated so much!! They were LOUD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

I saw them live last year, they were ok but they seemed to play a short set and Meg hit herself in the face with her drumstick which was quite funny as she looked abit shocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've seen them twice and must say they're excellent live. I don't really listen to the albums that much but as whiskeyman said it's a matter of taste. Although as much as I like them I wouldn't class them as genius, just very very fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Sweetness! wrote:
    I saw them live last year, they were ok but they seemed to play a short set and Meg hit herself in the face with her drumstick which was quite funny as she looked abit shocked

:D

I've listened to the new album and while it's a nice listen it's not exactly revolutionary - by which I mean it's the same thing all over again.

I wouldn't pay €60 to see them but at the same time I wouldn't kick them outta bed. (if ya get me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

eskimo wrote:
    I wouldn't pay €60 to see them but at the same time I wouldn't kick them outta bed. (if ya get me!)

haha your funny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The first two albums were quite good, if raw, then White blood cells was excellent. I was a little disappointed with Elephant as it felt as if they were selling out, and I haven't listened to the new one yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Yeah I really liked the previous albums. I listened to them live, and that kind of made me appreciate the first two albums... there's some great tunes on them... As for their new album. I just heard it recently and to be honest I'm pretty disappointed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

nothing too convincing here so really, the early albums are best, they are pretty good live and the new album isn't great(i agree i listened to it at the weekend). All in all doesn't really live up to the music press hype. I'll probably be seeing them live over the summer so I should get the full picture then.

• Advertisement

I quite liked the new album. I don't see any change in sound or style or any signs of selling out. I think it measures up well to the first two (and is better than White Blood Cells).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Just heard it today. Played it a few times.

I think the work Jacks done with Loretta has rubbed off in a big way, the crazy Death Letter, Black Math 6-7 minute songs are nowhere instead its pianos, glockenspiel sounds and marracas with the use of the Airline pretty much limited to about 3 songs....and Meg still cant sing very well.

Saw the Whites 5 times last year and loved every minute of it, looks like theyre due for a bit of a change. First thoughts are maybe theyve rushed this a little, its still a classic record but its got commercial disappearance written all over it.....not that im disappointed.

Not my favourite album but its gonna grow on me.

Nobody does it better, makes you feel sad for the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Admittedly I only have the demo version of 'Get it Faster' at the mo... but... eh...
    Cremo wrote:
    any similarity? :P

...no? :/

PiE wrote:
    Admittedly I only have the demo version of 'Get it Faster' at the mo... but... eh...

...no? :/
    suppose you'd need to be playing it on guitar it's basically the same structure except get it faster is strummed a few more times on each note rather than once on seven nation army

Cremo wrote:
    suppose you'd need to be playing it on guitar it's basically the same structure except get it faster is strummed a few more times on each note rather than once on seven nation army

So not that similar at all? :p

shhh i think it's similar and that's all that counts.

anyways i don't like like them all that much but i have to hand it to them for that seven nation army bass riff, even after a year of release people were still humming it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

7 nation army is actually a guitar riff, played through an octave pedal to achieve bass frequencies as any fule no. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I much prefer The Kills myself.

Similar setup to The White Stripes - boy and girl played stripped down music but a hell of a lot more interesting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭c3van5

I notice a lot of you are metnioning "the first two albums"
    but do any of you know what they are called?

White Stripes Take Manhattan and White Stripes Strike Again

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

dudara wrote:
    The first two albums were quite good, if raw, then White blood cells was excellent. I was a little disappointed with Elephant as it felt as if they were selling out, and I haven't listened to the new one yet

1 White Blood Cells
    2 De Stijl
    3 Elephant
    4 White Stripes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

c3van5 wrote:
    I notice a lot of you are metnioning "the first two albums"
    but do any of you know what they are called?
    1 The White Stripes
    2 De Stijl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've just been listening to the new album for the last two days now, and I'm really beginning to like it. It's definitely a "grower" album. I was never a huge fan of "Elephant" (Don't start me on Seven Nation Army), and I'm glad that they've dumped a lot of the guitar and gone back to more melodic sounds, like those to be found in "White Blood Cells". Glockenspiels and all that.

Blue Orchid, the opener is quite nice, and I'm sure that you've heard the catchy "My Doorbell" on the radio by now.

I think this is one of the better White Stripes Albums, it just takes a little time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I thought the new album was more immediately likeable than elephant.

Advertisement