Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring

Options
  • 22-05-2005 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am considering purchasing a house and just a general question how much in general wuld it cost to get a trades person in to put in a wooden floor if you supply the flooring. The room would be about 4.84x3.41m and would the price of installation of tiles be much different.

cheers,

eoghan

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Eoghan25 wrote:
    Hi,
    I am considering purchasing a house and just a general question how much in general wuld it cost to get a trades person in to put in a wooden floor if you supply the flooring. The room would be about 4.84x3.41m and would the price of installation of tiles be much different.

cheers,

eoghan

Hi Eoghan,

What type of flooring, solid wood, semi solid or laminate, in the case of timber.

What type of room, bedroom, living room. There may be a different requirement, as the living room has heavier traffic, hence better quality is needed here.

Tiles are more labour intensive than a laminate floor. Floating floors ( laminates that are not fixed to the floor, hence floating) are very fast to fit, and a few hours will finish most average sized rooms.

If you have good diy skills, then a laminate floor should present no problems, if you consider to tackle it your self.

Fixed wooden floors, may require the installation of plywood flooring to the existing concrete, to provide a base for secret nailing of your solid/semi solid flooring.

Either tiles or wood, a few things will affect the fitting price. Wooden floors need to be fitted to straight level floors. So if the floors are bad, they may need to be levelled with floor levelling compound. Skirtings may also need to be removed , door saddles as well, and maybe doors will need shortening, to accommodate the additional thicknesses of either tiles or timber. In the case of tiles, the levelling process can take place during the fitting.

Most companies selling timber flooring also provide fitting services, so price there first. As they are established in the business, you would probably get a no problem result there.

No doubt whatever I have left out , will be filled in by the rest of the lads. :)

Hope this helps,

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Hello there Eoghan

Laying most types of timber floor is not beyond the capabilities of a person with reasonable ability. Why don't you consider doing it yourself? The advantages are:-

You save a pile of money.

You gain a load of new skills.

You end up with some great new tools to use on other jobs, more than paid for by your savings.

You're able to say "I did that".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Eoghan, I would estimate about €15/sq yd for laminate & €20 for semi & solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Eoghan,

Kadman appears to have covered everything, but I gotta put something in here :)

If the existing floor is timber you will have to cover it with 6mm ply or the tiles are likely to crack from the boards moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

IF its T&G you could also have it sanded stained and varnished. Had all my five bedrooms done looks really good. Was gonna do it myself but the guys did it for 950 euros and in one day. Very clean job.

Garyh3

• Advertisement
Advertisement