Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brutal Friday game

Options
  • 21-05-2005 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭

Congrats to PPP regular and my main man Brian Murphy and to Alan (gilsenon?) for taking 2 grand each in the toughest tourney I've played in ages. The final table was an hour late starting and the blinds were cruxifying.

Hard luck to Big D. and Roryc who just missed out on the money. Congrats to Marq on getting 5th (blind robber!). I got blinded away in 4000-8000 blinds and got 4th, Hussein (you call, you win) out next hand, got a grand and then the lads did a deal.

I needed that 2 grand as my brother has an old white Merc, like the one Jack Nicholson drives in the Witces of Eastwick, with my name on it. Got enough for the front bumper. Gotta grind another few grand over the next month to pay for it.
    oh well, always the bridesmaid, never the bride....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Unlucky Doc. Your getting some consistent final tables these days. You just need to catch a break when you get there and that Merc will be yours! :)

I wasn't at your table last night but i must say I thought the standard and the game last night was very good. Decent prize pool too. Theres something about playing on a Friday too when you don't feel rushed because you don't (well most people) have to get up the next day that leads to people playing better poker generally I think.

Now if only I can teach myself to lay down my bottom set to a straight!

(I thought I'd mention that for lenny leonard's benefit because in an ironic twist it's what took me out in the end lenny, after using the power of 46o on you! ;) Nice to put a face to name last night Lenny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Well done lads, good to see some regulars in the money. Is that the Alan who posts here as Dr Collossus? How did Norman do, does anyone know?

I continued my trend from Thursday night of being totally card dead, and then getting kicked in the b****x on the rare occasion that I had a hand. Early on, flopped a set of 2's and got it all in against a flopped straight... no help on turn or river. Rebuy and float around 3K for a while before I pick up Aces. Get it all in against A7h... yes, I think, here's my double-up. Flop comes QhJh5c... Pleeeease dont give him heart, I beg. And thankfully no heart comes. Instead, he gets runner-runner 7's! Good fff'ing night!.

It's only 11oc, but I'm too annoyed to even play a cash game. Sometimes this game just pisses me off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

ollyk1 wrote:

Now if only I can teach myself to lay down my bottom set to a straight!

(I thought I'd mention that for lenny leonard's benefit because in an ironic twist it's what took me out in the end lenny, after using the power of 46o on you! ;) Nice to put a face to name last night Lenny)

Justice! (Only messing, thats poker as they say). Good to meet you last night as well, Olly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yeh well done last nite D, I just couldn't catch a break at the end. I made a suicidal move all in with the 10 4, but I hadn't seen any cards worth moving on for about 30 hands. I figured he had nothing but as luck would have it his 8 2 hit an 8. Ah well, I had to make a move. My stack had gone from 12,000 to about seven from the blinds. I was getting absolute muck for ages. The bluff nearly worked though, and it had worked on him earlier so....

You played those aces perfectly against that guy (hussein was it?).

How did Big Dragon not make the money? Another bad beat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

You're probably right!! Justice indeed.

I was greedy ... looking for a check raise on the flop from Norman or Pat (they had big stacks at the time) and of course they didn't raise and Norman caught his inside straight on the turn. I pot commited myself then before I realised he probably had it. Disgusted with my play because 77 was my second best hand all night after a night of hanging in there with rags....

Good cards only get me into trouble :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

cheers lads,

Pat went out in 6th when he went all in with ace ten i think. Alan, who was robbing my blind with queen four diamonds at the time, found himself pot committed, called and hit his flush. nasty. Norman went out in 7th or 8th. Nobody was far ahead with the blinds so high. I was very lucky when my all in with queen nine was called by ace nine and i hit a queen. otherwise it would have been bubble time for me.
    Hussein is a good player but was getting very close to being severely chastised as the night went on. I had to inform him of the rules at least 6 times and i wasnt even on the receiving end of his nonsense. If i had have been.... :mad:

If anyone wants to buy a 92 white merc with navy leather interior for 2 and half grand let me know. I don't think i'm gonna get the cash together by next week.

You would definitely have gotten away with your move Rory if he hadnt have hit that eight. He was even thinking for a second about laying it down. hard luck, d.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hi Lenny, no unfortunatley that wasn't me that split the money. I think his second name is something like Gibson, you'd know him to see I think. I finished around 14th after loosing two 50/50s but happy enough with the game and the hand I went out on.
    Rory you didn't give the whole story behind you're move with the 10 4. It's not like you bet all-in preflop and got called by 8 2 as your story suggests. You were on the BB with blinds at 500/1000 and with the table folding around the SB completes. The flop comes 3 3 8 and the SB checks and you then go all-in for around 6.5k into a 2k pot. Such an overbet normally indicates a bluff and any caller is going to have you beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

i wasn't trying to give the 'whole story' or suggest anything. I was merely reminding Doc Farrell about a hand. Thats why I didn't go into detail. As you say it was folded around to me and i knew he had muck. I didnt think he hit the flop so i moved all in. I had made the same move earlier and he folded.

And by the way, most of the above is wrong.

the blinds were 800/1500

I moved all in for about 5.5k more into a 3k pot.

dont mean to be pointing out mistakes but as you were looking for the 'whole story'...

I know it was a wild move but it nearly worked and I had to make a move then or be faced with less than 4x BB.

Advertisement