Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"holy" or webbed paving ..can it be got anywhere

Options
  • 20-05-2005 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

I have a short, steep driveway that currently consists of packed hardcore on dirt (i.e. as the builder left it years ago). After many a rainy season the whole thing has eroded rather badly and needs re-doing.

Because the driveway is so steep, i do not want to use a smooth surface like tarmac or concrete, as I would never get out of the house in winter and all the rain would just collect and run down towards the house.

Back on the continent I remember seing webbed paving slabs. These were interconnected steel reinforced concrete bars, roughly 8 x 8 cm with 10x10 cm holes inbetween (in a diamond grid pattern, if you know what I mean). Can't remember the size of the individual slabs. They were widely used for parking spaces and driveways.
    I would like to use something like that on my refurbished driveway, keeping the hard core in place, allowing the grass to grow through and the water to run off ...should work rather well and look nice too, I think.

Problem is ...where can I get them??

Have asked around and googled extensively and drawn only blanks.

Anyone got any hints?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Peasant,

I think you have described the reinforcing fairly nicely in the old school it was known as 4 inch reinforcing, presuming the 10 x 10 is cm ?

But that is only the standard sheet of rebar without the concrete, I don't believe I have seen that product anywhere.

The nearest I can think of is a concrete screen block, but I'm not sure they make them to the density you would need for driving on, they might be ok for a car but anything heavy like an oil truck and they would be crushed.

Are you sure it wasn't a concrete paving system where the pattern is stamped into the finished (often coloured) concrete ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask your local precast concrete supplier if they have "grasscrete", it's used for parking and fire roads, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Ah,

Nice one Victor, so they do make a high density version of the screen block :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

"grasscrete"

Thanks Victor !

Advertisement