Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

String query

Options
  • 20-05-2005 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

How long IS a piece of string?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

gregos wrote:
    How long IS a piece of string?

Hi Gregos,
    ( ROFLMAO)

With regards to your query, do you intend to attempt to measure the string yourself, and consider this a diy project, or are you going to employ professionals to do this for you.

Taking the first scenario. Do you have the necessary skills for this task, in other words, are you a competent diy'er. You would have to get access to the necessary measuring implements, measuring tapes or rulers. I would always advise you to purchase the best makes available, such as stanley, de walt, or rabone chesterman. If cost is an issue, in other words if you don't have an arse in your trousers, then buy from a cheaper source, such as B&Q, Atlantic Homecare, or boot sales. Unfortunately the cheaper brands such as , flying swallow, leaping fish, and dead donkey may not have a finer markings than feet. :D

Second scenario. This would be a more expensive option, employing professional string measurers. This would entail costly equipment, laser tapes, laser levels ect. Coupled with expensive safety gear, hard hats , high viz vest. Make sure the company you choose, operates a good standard of safety, given the hazardous task involved, and that the personnel have a safe pass cert. Insurance is a must here, do not cut corners. If all this information does not give you the help you need , then google. What part of the country are you in, as I may be able to site visit, to get a better handle on things. :D

Don't despair , there are a lot of knowledgeable folk here , that are experts in this area.

Nice one Gregos

kadman :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Also may I add, the measuring of string is highly skilled job. As Kadman said it really can be a professional job. I would not attempt it with a ruler (sure death) and as for lasers, sure they'll take your eye out. Get a pro in, its not worth it, "i'll save on the string, sure I know what I doing" It's not like a gas main, thats easy cut the pipe stick a new one in, have a smoke while you doing it.
    Trust me the cat will be in knots, dont do it!

deecom wrote:
    Also may I add, the measuring of string is highly skilled job. As Kadman said it really can be a professional job. I would not attempt it with a ruler (sure death) and as for lasers, sure they'll take your eye out. QUOTE]

Hi Deecom,

I clean forgot about serious eye injury from lasers, best add welding shields to the safety equipment list. :)

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

How long is a piece of string?

Consider the following graph of Length of string (in macrometres) versus Laughter Induced(in decibels).

If the length of the string is in direct proportion to the level of laughter that these posts induce (a linear mathematical model) then the string is not very long I'm afraid.

|............ /
    |.........../
    |........./
    |......./
    |...../
    |.../
    |./
    |___________________________________
    Laughter Induced (decibels)

Have fun thinking of a reply. It wont change the linear model to an exponential one.

RJ BSc (Applied Physics and Computer Science)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

How about "get knotted"?

gregos BE CEng MIEI

• Advertisement

Rubens wrote:
    How long is a piece of string?

Consider the following graph of Length of string (in macrometres) versus Laughter Induced(in decibels).

If the length of the string is in direct proportion to the level of laughter that these posts induce (a linear mathematical model) then the string is not very long I'm afraid.

|............ /
    |.........../
    |........./
    |......./
    |...../
    |.../
    |./
    |___________________________________
    Laughter Induced (decibels)

Have fun thinking of a reply. It wont change the linear model to an exponential one.

RJ BSc (Applied Physics and Computer Science)

Hi Rubens,

Now that we are getting down to listing our creds after our name , a fruitless exercise after all. I think that any one that take s the time and trouble to offer advice on the boards, is my equal in terms of helpfulness, and i hope that I am their equal. ;)

I wouldn't bother flashing my creds here, that does not impress anyone. Good manners, now that is impressive. :cool:

I think you'll have to redo the calcs Rubens, your " Loftier than thou attitude ", has definitely brought a laugh to my computer. :D:D

I dont think you're going to impress many prospective new clients, with your "I'm smarter than you attitude".

Computers are inanimate objects, people are not.

If you want my letters after my name, pm me. :D:D

kadman :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

To find the length of a peice of string.measure it to its middle point and then double the length.Simple.

Advertisement