Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question - Dogs in bed

Options
  • 20-05-2005 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Hi, I had a hunt around google and also on here, but didn't really find anything useful. I want to know if it's healthy to let a dog sleep in the same bed as you do. I'm thinking surely it can't be.

Now, I don't do this, but my parents do, and when they stay over in my house although I insist that the dog sleep in it's basket downstairs, they sneek him up to their bed later in the night. I don't think this is on. The duvet covers and bed sheets are fúcked with dog hairs. So can anyone tell me if this is good or not?

Thanks,
    Loon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Your right...
    Their bed is probably infested with fleas and the like, and filthy dog hair...
    Never mind all the other crap he walks in and picks up through the day...
    Its disgusting when you think about it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

I'm told that my brother allowing my niece's dog to sleep in her bed when she was a kid is now believed to be responsible for her asthma. Seems to me that it's a bad idea to allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I doubt it. Unless the dog sleeps on your face, has fleas or worms, then it couldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I don't let my kittens up the stairs let alone sleep in my bed. I really don't think it can be healthy breathing all that hair in at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Well I reckon, although a dog is a great pet. It is an animal and should be treated as such. If it was my dog he wouldn't even be sleeping in the house. The bed clothes are just covered in hundreds and thousands of hairs from the dog, and I think it's filthy. I was hoping to find some sort of medical site or something where it states this is bad, but I can't.

I've told my parents when they come to stay over that the dog isn't allowed in the bedroom but they disobey me. Like feckin children! I may have to kill the dog or my parents. Think about the cráp a dog does be doin all day.... sucking his own cóck, taking a shít and not being able to wipe, licking other dogs arsés etc...etc. It can't be hygienic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

i got hayfever from the doghair on the bed
    or maybe it was the cats

check out my pic of fudge
    Fudge the cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have you ever considered washing the bedding after guest sleep in a bed????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

everyday??

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

a dog should never be let sleep in the bed, not only is it unhigenic it lets the dog think it is of equal importance within the family to the person it sleeps with, and if that person is an adult and there is children in the house that are not allowed to sleep wth the adult it means the dog see's itself as being higher up in the family than that child, those it can turn on them as it would on another dog or pup.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Have you ever considered washing the bedding after guest sleep in a bed????

What do you think? :rolleyes: Unfortunately, even washing doesn't help too much with dog hairs. So I have to hoover the poxy bed clothes before washing them. Anyway, that's beside the point. I think crazymonkey summed it up quite well.

It's an animal, not a human, and should be treated as one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have noticed something over the last few years, Irish people have become overly house proud and sometimes ott about pets in the home at all, many dogs get chucked out in the garden for most of their time because of hairs etc.

There is nothing wrong with having a dog in the bed, provided the dog has been de-flead and is regularly wormed and also regualr grooming will stop so many hairs flying about.

There is no reason for a dog to be filthy or infested unless an owner lets them get that way!! Not the dogs fault if an owner cannot keep it clean.

As for equal importance it depends on the dogs personality in general, most dogs are part of a family and know their place and sleeping on the bed makes no difference to how mellow they are, other dogs will think of it as a privalige and think they are more important.

Irish people have become so obsessed with how clean their home is that more and more kids are developing asthma and other allergies because they are not exposed to everyday 'clean dirt' anymore. People stick the heating on and don't open windows etc.
    Mine has been living with all sorts of animals since she was a baby and has never been ill excpet for the commen cold and has NEVER caught anything from the animals as I keep them all clean and in very good health. The dogs are regularly wormed and de-flead.

If you don't like the little bits of dirt pets bring in then don't bother having them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

My cat sleeps on my bed and I'm one of the healthiest people you could meet.
    *touch wood*.

She hasn't got worms or fleas so I don't see the problem.
    I know some people would find that disgusting but I've had all sorts of animals since I was a child and I'm completely comfortable with having the cat on the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

I regularly let my two cavaliers sleep with me - I love it and they love it.... They will also get down off the bed during the night and get into their own bed.

I don't see any harm in doing it unless you have a great dane and it takes up all your bed !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Have noticed something over the last few years, Irish people have become overly house proud and sometimes ott about pets in the home at all, many dogs get chucked out in the garden for most of their time because of hairs etc.

There is nothing wrong with having a dog in the bed, provided the dog has been de-flead and is regularly wormed and also regualr grooming will stop so many hairs flying about.

There is no reason for a dog to be filthy or infested unless an owner lets them get that way!! Not the dogs fault if an owner cannot keep it clean.

As for equal importance it depends on the dogs personality in general, most dogs are part of a family and know their place and sleeping on the bed makes no difference to how mellow they are, other dogs will think of it as a privalige and think they are more important.

Irish people have become so obsessed with how clean their home is that more and more kids are developing asthma and other allergies because they are not exposed to everyday 'clean dirt' anymore. People stick the heating on and don't open windows etc.
    Mine has been living with all sorts of animals since she was a baby and has never been ill excpet for the commen cold and has NEVER caught anything from the animals as I keep them all clean and in very good health. The dogs are regularly wormed and de-flead.

If you don't like the little bits of dirt pets bring in then don't bother having them!

Couldn't agree more. Sure wasn't there some study released recently which rubbished the idea that it was phone masts and electricity pylons that was causing the higher incidence of childhood luekemia in recent years, but that the real reason was kids weren't exposed to enough germs to prime their immune systems. Heard similar in relation to asthma a few years ago. Like my mother used to say(and still does!). 'Everything in moderation' including germs!

TBH when I hear people saying, " I wouldn't have my dog in the house, its stays out the back and sleeps in the kennel" etc, I always think to myself, "why the **** did you bother getting a dog if its not part of the family and allowed sleep inside in the warmth with the rest of the family. I can understand maybe not letting the dog sleep on top of your duvet in your bed, but not letting it sleep in the house?? Ok its natural for a wild dog/wolf to sleep out in the open.....'with its pack' but when did you ever hear of a wolf pack were all the pack get to sleep in a cosy cave and one of the poor feckers is forced to sleep outside in the cold on its own. And these people wonder why the poor thing howls all night!! Ok its not 'Natural' for a dog/wolf to sleep inside a house, but it is even less natural to make one of the pack members sleep totally seperate from the rest of the pack.

People like that should get a bloody goldfish.

Calibos wrote:
    Couldn't agree more. Sure wasn't there some study released recently which rubbished the idea that it was phone masts and electricity pylons that was causing the higher incidence of childhood luekemia in recent years, but that the real reason was kids weren't exposed to enough germs to prime their immune systems. Heard similar in relation to asthma a few years ago. Like my mother used to say(and still does!). 'Everything in moderation' including germs!

TBH when I hear people saying, " I wouldn't have my dog in the house, its stays out the back and sleeps in the kennel" etc, I always think to myself, "why the **** did you bother getting a dog if its not part of the family and allowed sleep inside in the warmth with the rest of the family. I can understand maybe not letting the dog sleep on top of your duvet in your bed, but not letting it sleep in the house?? Ok its natural for a wild dog/wolf to sleep out in the open.....'with its pack' but when did you ever hear of a wolf pack were all the pack get to sleep in a cosy cave and one of the poor feckers is forced to sleep outside in the cold on its own. And these people wonder why the poor thing howls all night!! Ok its not 'Natural' for a dog/wolf to sleep inside a house, but it is even less natural to make one of the pack members sleep totally seperate from the rest of the pack.

People like that should get a bloody goldfish.

Exactly. Then there's the people, you try to explain the wolf thing to them, and they look at you very strangely. They then inform you that Fido is not a wolf, "sure he doesn't even look like one!". Or even better, "He thinks he's a human". No he doesn't.

I think they've actually reclassified wolves and dogs lately. I think they are now officially the same species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My dogs, even when they were tiny puppies, have spent every night in either my parents or my bed.

They like to tunnel under the covers. Max wakes me up all the time at 2am scratching my face for me to life the blankets up for him. :p

Millie falls asleep like a person - body under the blanket, head on the pillow.

I would be distraught if they had to sleep anywhere else. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nala wrote:
    Exactly. Then there's the people, you try to explain the wolf thing to them, and they look at you very strangely. They then inform you that Fido is not a wolf, "sure he doesn't even look like one!". Or even better, "He thinks he's a human". No he doesn't.

I think they've actually reclassified wolves and dogs lately. I think they are now officially the same species.

Correct, they are genetically so closely related, that it is almost impossible to tell the difference.

BUT ... and it's a big but ...

Dogs have been domesticated for hundreds of thousands of years, probably close to a million (dog) generations ...that's a lot more generations than humans have spent outside the caves.

Dogs are NOT wolves, they have adapted perfectly to co-exist with humans and live by human rules. So all the latest craze of treating your doggy like a sofa-wolf with all the half-cooked theories of "pack", "alpha", "dominance" and so on are just plain rubbish. (These theories are rubbish anyway ...even for wild wolves)

A dog is a dog and as such a member of your family. Neither should you look at it as a human, nor is it a wolf. It's a dog ...treat it like such (but with respect and not as the proverb suggests)

And ...back to topic ...if that involves sleeping in the bed and that works for both of you ...why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Garibaldi wrote:
    I'm told that my brother allowing my niece's dog to sleep in her bed when she was a kid is now believed to be responsible for her asthma. Seems to me that it's a bad idea to allow this.

Rubbish ( said in a cuties dog way ) - children brought up with a dog in the house suffer less from asthma.

Keep your dog, vacinated and wormed etc... and if you get the plague from having a dog in the house.....welll wasn't it worth it..... bye now goto go play fetch....

• Advertisement

Clinical Waste - These are great links but whats your point -

Stay indoors, stay away from animals and be careful of assiduous hand hygiene.

of course when I contract Human rabies when our pet dog comes back from a vacation in Africa - you can say "I told you so ...." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Exactly.... and I will BE there waiting to say it. :D

(actually not making a point, Dr Loon was looking for hygienic reasons to keep a dog outta his spare bed, I found some extreme ones)

or Maybe I am? And letting slip that I am not a pet person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭wasted_winter

I don't see a problem with letting a dog sleep in bed, I've a mutt who sleeps with me each night - at the start of the night she'll curl up beside me, then later on she'll move down the bed to my feet or get bored and go for a midnight house inspection!

I've had loads of animals over the years, this is the first dog allowed upstairs, let alone into my bed. My sister sleeps with her giant collie and we're both as healthy as can be.

I keep my dog clean and healthy - regular vet checks, regular worming and flea treatment (she's yet to even be affected by either, such is our routine) she's regularly washed and loves to be brushed... and should she miss a grooming she'll let you know!
    I can't deny that of course she picks up dirt during the day... but I don't see this as a problem... I am house-proud but at the same time I believe people get too carried away with having everything germ free. My sister-in-law disinfects her entire house, the kids can't touch their toys without her running over with a dettol wet-wipe... and surprise surprise the same 'germ-free' kids catch every cold that's doing the rounds. It's not natural to be so freakin clean!!!

Anyway: If your parents don't mind the dog then why worry! To me it sounds as though the dog just needs some TLC... a good bath and some proper grooming... it will get rid of all the stray hairs that are clinging to the bed covers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Belladonna

I agree with the others who said that as long as you have taken care of the dog and it's healthy there is no reason not to let it in your bed. Mine sleeps with me, but usually likes to jump down and sleep on his doggie bed later in the night. And I also believe that children that grow up with animals have less allergies in general because they have built up a resistance to them by exposure.

or Maybe I am? And letting slip that I am not a pet person.

No your signature image does that! ;)

And your username.

Anyway: If your parents don't mind the dog then why worry! To me it sounds as though the dog just needs some TLC... a good bath and some proper grooming... it will get rid of all the stray hairs that are clinging to the bed covers!

Just thought I'd come back to this. It's not my parents that mind. It's me that minds when they're in my house in my bed. The dog has plenty of TLFúckingC, and they basically treat it like a child. It's just the type of dog that sheds alot for some reason.

I'll also refer back to something I said earlier in the thread. The dog goes for shíts and can't really wipe itself. The dog licks it's own and other dogs cócks or vaginas as the case may be, then licks your face in the middle of the night. Do you think that's healthy?

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Just thought I'd come back to this. It's not my parents that mind. It's me that minds when they're in my house in my bed. The dog has plenty of TLFúckingC, and they basically treat it like a child. It's just the type of dog that sheds alot for some reason.

I'll also refer back to something I said earlier in the thread. The dog goes for shíts and can't really wipe itself. The dog licks it's own and other dogs cócks or vaginas as the case may be, then licks your face in the middle of the night. Do you think that's healthy?

Man, I don't know what it is but I find this post offensive, I got the hebe gee bees reading it...shudder....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Irishstudent

Hey,

Ive a Retriever and a Springer Spaniel and they shed hair like all dogs, but as the vet recommended, you should stop feeding them scraps & dog food and feed them on a constant food (i.e. dog food or mixer only, no scraps). we did it for a while and it worked! But i could i resist giving them the scraps when they are looking in the window licking their lips when im having my steak! Mmmmm steak!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

I really think there's no problem with having a dog sleep on your bed if you keep the dog fairly clean. If the dog spends all its time outside during the day and comes in filthy, then I'd think twice about it, but really I don't think it can be any kind of a health risk otherwise. I strongly agree with the view that exposure to dirt and germs improves your immune system and helps you fight illnesses. I'd have my dog sleep in my bed if I could, but seemingly it's not big enough for her, she prefers my parents' bed where she has more room. :rolleyes:

Advertisement