Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extensions exempt from Planning Permission

Options
  • 19-05-2005 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all

I know the criteria for an extension being exempt from planning permission (under 40 sqm, rear of house etc etc.).

My question is regarding building regulations for extensions. Would I HAVE to get the extension certified and if certification is not mandatory what are the advantages of getting it certified (it's a self-build - a good self-build ) :) .

If so who would I get to do this? Architect, Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer??? I was going to ask for a rough price for this but I feel a "piece of string" reply forming :)

Ta in advance.

RJ ;););):D:D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Is your extension exempt from planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Rubens wrote:
    Hi all

I know the criteria for an extension being exempt from planning permission (under 40 sqm, rear of house etc etc.).

My question is regarding building regulations for extensions. Would I HAVE to get the extension certified and if certification is not mandatory what are the advantages of getting it certified (it's a self-build - a good self-build ) :) .

If so who would I get to do this? Architect, Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer??? I was going to ask for a rough price for this but I feel a "piece of string" reply forming :)

Ta in advance.

RJ ;););):D:D:D:D

Sorry,

I happen to know most of the answers to your questions but one starts with...... Aw never mind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Yeah, actually Rubens, don't bother replying to my question.

I was going to give you the full facts on your request, but having reviewed the tone of some other posts here, I think I'll take the same attitude as Pete.

Good day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

gregos wrote:
    Yeah, actually Rubens, don't bother replying to my question.

I was going to give you the full facts on your request, but having reviewed the tone of some other posts here, I think I'll take the same attitude as Pete.

Good day.

Now boys, now boys, keep your powder dry. :eek:

I sense a lot of pent up anger here. :):)

Breathe in...breathe out...breath in ...breath out. Ah thats better. ;)

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

phone council,planning dept,they, will give all the info,,look on website, u still need to follow all building regs in regard to water pipes safety insulation ,etc.say average house costs 100k to, build, builder has to pay 70k approx for the site.u dont even need to give your name just ask do i need cert ,there has to be a certain amount of space left in garden after build is finished,u have to be very careful re,building over waterpipes ,u have to make sure there is proper acess to manhole covers drainscovers etc.if u make mistake u might have to knock extension or part of it down,when it comes time to sell the property.if 2story its simpler not too have windows on side wall which may overlook neighbours garden ,u,ll probably need permission if u want to build above level of rear walls.when u start building neighbours will prbly ring council to make sure u have permission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

Thanks gamer.

Site is one acre on its own with existing cottage... So the potential problems of overlooking others, amount of space left in garden, drains,services etc not a problem..Also only one neighbour and have spoken to him so no probs there.(hes actually building it with me).

Phewww , so after all that what I need to know will I need to get it certified anyway - or only when I go to sell?

Thanks again Gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

extensions under 40 sq meters dont need planning permission, i dont know if u would need cert of any kind,i suggest u ring planning dept,no is in the phone book.

Hi,

If you want to avoid a lot of trouble later, get a cert of exemption for the proposed development and have an Architect issue an opinion on compliance with the cert and the current building regs.

Save a little today and very possibly spend a lot in the future.

No Strings attached ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The extension needs to comply with the Building Regulations.

You don't need a certificate, but if you ever want to sell, get a grant or whatever, questions will be asked.

Hi Victor,

I had a very unusual one in the last few weeks, a customer who built a small kitchen / bathroom in 1969 was having the sale held up over a possible planning issue.

Very lucky the customer had both Planning Permission and Bye Law Approval, it was traced in the planning office on microfilm, they couldn't believe an extension built way back then would even be questioned.

Within 24 hrs the client had their cert and the Solicitors were happy, all these certs are an essential part of property coveyancing, without them the vendor could have to wait up to eight weeks or more for retention.

The certs for retention are very limited because the applicant can't swear the building was built in compliance with any standard therefore the Architect has very little to work with regarding the structural integrity of the building.

I expect there will be a booming business in submitting plans for retention in the near future, 40 sq m is way too big to expect a blanket right of retention on, add to that the questionable building standards today and it should be fun ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement