Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Piece of String" Replies

Options
  • 19-05-2005 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

COMMENT WITHDRAWN DUE TO THE EXTREME LACK OF ORIGINALITY,CLEVERNESS,RELEVANCE,UNDERSTANDING AND HUMOUR OF THE REPLIES.

YAWN

RJ

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

There are also bans for trolling RJ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

Supposing I really needed to know how long a piece of string is? Surely you wouldn't deny me the chance to find out? Where else could I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

gregos wrote:
    Supposing I really needed to know how long a piece of string is? Surely you wouldn't deny me the chance to find out? Where else could I ask?

Under new EU safety regulations it's 2.4 meters....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Can we ban all answers that include ANY reference to the overused and utterly useless phrase "How long is a piece of string?".

Not unless the poster has the good sense to include some guidance as to the size, angle, length, use, requirement, thickness , width,or in short some relevant information to allow helpful posters to give the answers sought.
    Threads that ask " How much will my Roof cost ", with no additional info, deserve " how long is a piece of string. " :)

Now before all you users of said phrase reply to this thread with an equally pompous reply please realise I am making the following point

I would hope that a poster would have the good sense to , ask his question, and then supply relevant information he has at hand . With out having to have information pulled from him , like tooth extraction...a painful experience. :eek:

If the extent of your knowledge on a certain subject matter raised by a hopeful questioner is "How long is a....." then that's not advice - its just the needless repition of nothingness.

I think the " how long is a ...." quote is an attempt by the helper, to nudge the poster into supplying more info, if he can, a bit of light hearted banter. :rolleyes:

All remember that people post questions with the hope of a helpful,friendly,informative and useful reply not some trite pap.

In my short experience on the boards, I think people will go out of their way to help, by searching for links for you, pm, and e-mails to help you, and reccomending contacts for you. Mixed together with some good humour, and a friendly disposition. ;)

At the risk of being called , pompous, trite, and full of nothingness...oh to hell with it.....chill out and have a nice day.. :cool:

Incidentally the length of a piece of string, will have to be referred to the engineering section of Rookad Enterprises. Over to you then Rooferpete. :D

Kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Rubens wrote:
    Can we ban all answers that include ANY reference to the overused and utterly useless phrase "How long is a piece of string?".
    God, you gardeners are an angry lot! I'm glad I pay an old boy a couple of € to look after my lawns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

kadman wrote:
    Over to you then Rooferpete

Mmmm .... Schoolyard bullies always hang around in gangs

Ta Ra

RJ

Rubens wrote:
    Mmmm .... Schoolyard bullies always hang around in gangs

Ta Ra

RJ

Only getting a second opinion , from the engineering section, on the piece of string query,

kadman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Rubens wrote:
    Hi

Now before all you users of said phrase reply to this thread with an equally pompous reply please realise I am making the following point:

If the extent of your knowledge on a certain subject matter raised by a hopeful questioner is "How long is a....." then that's not advice - its just the needless repition of nothingness.

All remember that people post questions with the hope of a helpful,friendly,informative and useful reply not some trite pap.

Good Day

RJ

Well, Rubens, How long IS a piece of string?
    I mean, are you talking about all posters, or all forums at any time of any day or night, using any make of PC running any operating system......... :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"We demand guaranteed rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty." :mad:

anyway what is string - how do we know it's not builders twine or sash cord ? does hairy string for parcels count ?

BTW:
    If you are using it as an antenna for a radio a quarter wavelength is good , the really nice bit is that damp string contracts a bit so you should measure it dry unless you take into account the end effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I love Capt'n Midnights overly factual, vaguely on-topic answers to everything. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Rubens,

I haven't counted but maybe I have used that "Term" half a dozen times ? since you have been counting maybe you will enlighten me.

I am not sure if others have used it but I do believe if you look closer you will find that very often when I have used it a long explanation covering various possibile scenarious have followed.

RooKad in any format is but a friendly exchange between two people who very often post similar opinions on the same subject.

Neither party have to post, equally you don't have to read their replies I do have a few more annoying phrases maybe I'll start using them.

Naw I think I'll keep it in context, easier for me to understand ;).

With regards to the length of a piece of string...remember...length is not everything, its how you use it. :D:D

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mickot

I note Cap'n Midnight only mentioned builder's string, sash cord and hairy parcel string.
    When I was a boy there was Red Setter Bailing Twine everywhere, but where is it now ?? Gone the way of the Corncrake - a victim to modern farming methods probably

-micko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Rubens wrote:
    Now before all you users of said phrase reply to this thread with an equally pompous reply please realise I am making the following point:

Everything you need to know about how to rub people up the wrong way is contained in this sentance.

Rubens if you don't want that phrase used don't be so bloody vague or patronising, this is not your private info centre staffed by your trained monkey butlers A lot of people have tried to help - be grateful.

mickot wrote:
    When I was a boy there was Red Setter Bailing Twine everywhere, but where is it now ??

Indeed. And what about the string that grocers used to tie up parcels with? They had a little trick of looping it around their finger and snapping it with a sharp pull. Anybody remember that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Also RooKad we will have no "lenght fixing" of that piece of string to profit your boards.ie monopolising company ;)

Opps there is that sentence again. Peas of streeng

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Whatever lenght you estimate your piece of string, always add on about 15 - 20% for breakge, wastage, mistakes and unforseen knots that need to be tied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

To avoid being stringest, I propose the new measure to be "how long is a boards.ie thread"...

The more I think about this question, the more inclined I am to believe that it is unanswerable. The dimensions of any piece of string will vary according to the ambient temperature, relative humidity, tension applied, means of support, latitude, altitude and method of manufacture. It also depends on the material used to produce the string.

The standard piece of string is kept by l'Organisation Européenne pour la Recherche Nucléaire at the CERN institute in Geneva, under closely controlled environmental conditions. It is used as a reference by all pundits subscribing to the SI system. However, this is a metric piece of string and would not, for instance, be of any use in the United States. Or in ancient Egypt.

Personally, I'm inclined to use rules of thumb, and for that purpose, I have a standard hand . . .

: Intrinsically a piece of string has length but that length is unknown hence the
    : the phrase 'how long is a piece of string' means that the quantitative answer is not known and there is an implicate understanding that the answer will be difficult to find given the information available.

When asked by a client to estimate the costs of a project still in the earliest stages, one alternate to this phrase is "how much does a vacation cost?" (That's "holiday" to you Brits.) It embodies the same sense of indeterminate quantity.

• Advertisement

All this excited interest in the length of a piece of string, maybe we should put in a request for a String forum.he.he. :D

kadman
    :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

how wide is the string?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

COMMENT WITHDRAWN DUE TO THE EXTREME LACK OF ORIGINALITY,CLEVERNESS,RELEVANCE,UNDERSTANDING AND HUMOUR OF THE REPLIES.

YAWN

RJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hmmmmm,

Strange one that because the only humour I could see was in the replies, still it's a long road that doesn't have a turn.

Rubens wrote:

YAWN

RJ

Hi Rubens,

How are people to understand your point of view, if you decide to completely erase the content of your first post. :confused:

I find some of the replies funny, or maybe thats just my warped sense of humour :D:D

Come on Rubens, lighten up

Well Fec you Rooferpete,

There you go again , post seconds before me, what 's the story. :D:D
    How the fec do you do that.

ps. Did we get back the engineering spec on the string yet :D

Whoops Did I Forget My Smileys Again?????
    :p:p:p
    Speak Soon Good People.... ;););););)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,336 ✭✭✭✭Victor

anyway what is string - how do we know it's not builders twine or sash cord ? does hairy string for parcels count ?
    I'm sorry, sash cord is a rope, typically having several twists, orange builder's twine is often a single nylon extrusion, making hairy parcel string the only real string. Bailing Twine is an inferior product, not suitable for construction purposes. Non-hairy butchers twine is also string.

Victor wrote:
    I'm sorry, sash cord is a rope, typically having several twists, orange builder's twine is often a single nylon extrusion, making hairy parcel string the only real string. Bailing Twine is an inferior product, not suitable for construction purposes. Non-hairy butchers twine is also string.

Fair play Victor, but how long is it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement