Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of house build

Options
  • 19-05-2005 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me the average price for building an average 4 bedroom house. Are we talking 100000, 200000 or more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Piece of string question. Allow at least €150 a square foot...

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

well depending on builder. ground conditions and of course what type and style and complexity of a house along with where you want to build (e.g. in dublin or outside) you are talking a big difference.

I am currently building two 4 bed houses outside dublin at €75 per square foot. This is for solid concrete houses to quite a good spec, but it is a good relationship with the builder. He said anything from €75 - 120 per square foot is right for our part of the world (Louth).

Hope this helps but it is best to draw up a sketch and ask some builders, ask at least three!!
    Gibo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭The Rooster

What Macy said is about what its costing me in Dublin with a decent spec, but it doesnt include architecht fees, legal fees, council levy :mad: . You could do it for cheaper if you go the cheap option everytime a decision comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

You can do it cheaper, but if you're getting a builder in to do the whole lot, I would allow that as a ball park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I think Macy is on the right track €150 > €175.00 a sq foot depending on the finishes, kitchen, bathrooms etc.

Gibo,

€75.00 is a great deal even at €120.00 it's still a great deal, some parts of Louth are almost as expensive as Dublin.

Kinda like Dublin prices minus the traffic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can I say the sentence lads... gwan gwan gwan!!! lenght of g-strings in pieces ;)

We are working out at 85 euro per sq yard at the moment lad for a self build. Depends on a number of factors, where you are building will dictate the price big time.

What you are building, block, timber frame also may vary prices.

You really have to get a plan done up and get a builder to price it for you.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hey Yop,

85 per sq yard, thats good going!! Am I right in saying thats about 28 per sq ft? We are working out at the moment at about 85 per sq ft and I thought we were doing well :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jaysus sorry meant sq ft!!! still not awake yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Cushtie

we are hoping to get ours in at around €70 - €75 a sq ft. It is around 2600 sq feet block construction,story and a half. In Limerick County. Very optimistic I know but my brother will do the roof etc and I have alot of friends in the trade that will do me favours. It will probably take me a bit longer alright but I am willing to put up with that if I can bring it in on budget.

fingers crosssed the planning comes through soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I seen quote from builder standard 3bed on YOUR SITE ,,average size,nothing fancy,standard materials insulation etc,100k,,that was 2 years ago ,builders from longford area.average house size is 750 square foot.not sure if it was 3bed or 4 bed.obviously if u use hardwood floors special tiles non standard windows or doors the price can differ widely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

You cud save abit of money if u buy some materials from buy and sell building section,eg theres always lots ,like 500 roof tiles for sale blocks etc 4sale half price or less, if u have got some way of transporting the materials .If u set up account with local builders supply u,ll get a discount rate on everything even if u are not in trade or just a selfbuilder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭gregos

I think you could do it for about 100/sq ft if you have a lot of involvement yourself and you know what to do. Otherwise, it's a clear case of the phrase that dare not speak its name.

Advertisement