Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do banks check what a loan is for?

Options
  • 18-05-2005 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

I need to apply for a 17k/18k loan to pay the second rate of a property I am buying in Bulgaria and I was wondering whether banks check what the loan is for?
    I have a pre-approved loan with my bank that would cover that amount, but the rates are not good and would prefer to apply with Tesco (they have very low rates 7.9%), but I am afraid that if I tell them the loan is for a property abroad, they will reject me. Note: I don't own any property in Ireland to assure against.

Should I lie and tell them I need the money for something else instead? Would they check if I say the truth? What would be a "good way" to spend 17k/18k and own....nothing? I was thinking dentist bill, etc.....

I am on quite high income (40k+/per year) but I am not sure this would matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

No they dont for personal loans, they do for car loans ARAIK (i.e. must be a simi dealer) but half the country has "home improvement" loans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Thank you ;)

Advertisement