Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advertising complaints

• 18-05-2005 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

i was reading in the indo yesterday that the new kfc ad, the "emergency helpline" one has recieved more complaints than anyother ad this year(i presume is this year). it had 1500+ complaints in england. it had a handful over here.

apparently parents were complaining that this ad would teach their children bad eating manners!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,554 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Latest complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority are here:
    http://www.asai.ie/ (Click on Complains Bulletins)

Some of the complaints are hilarious.... The most recent report came out before the KFC ad, so I presume that'll make it into the next report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

there have been things i have seen on tv and elsewhere that i might not agree with. but i have never felt the need to pick up a phone and lodge a complaint about it.

has anyone here ever made a complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

what happens in the kfc one ? is it still on tv ?(channels ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah? And thats not a legitimate reason to complain. Its not indecent or misleading.

its basically three women working in a call centre. their eating kfc's new salad and their mouths are full while they are speaking. i should also point out their singing their words. i think its really funny. yeah its still on, its newish advert.

• Advertisement

Its like how people complained that guinness doesnt make you able to swim to America.

seriously???!

i have a major problem with parents who complain about how some tv program has something they think their childrren shouldnt see. well then just dont let your child watch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

its basically three women working in a call centre. their eating kfc's new salad and their mouths are full while they are speaking. i should also point out their singing their words. i think its really funny. yeah its still on, its newish advert.

Quite right that people complain, it's uncivilised, rude and disgusting! Not to mention bloody annoying. People (particularly the little ladies) should conduct themselves with more etiquette these days.

PS - KFC chips are rotten, and the gravy has gone crap.

yeah not a fan of the chips at all but always end up getting large meal and then throwing out the chips!

yeah not a fan of the chips at all but always end up getting large meal and then throwing out the chips!

Remember the thick gravy years ago? That was lovely. Luckily the local chipper has 'aqcuired' the secret recipe. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

my complaint is not there... :(

Well they can't ban an ad for being annoying. Otherwise, there'd be no ringtone ads. If you dont like the ad, don't eat at KFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Its like how people complained that guinness doesnt make you able to swim to America.

Damn right it doesn't.

I lost two brothers that way, and sure wasn't I nearly a gonner myself except I was picked up by a passing ship...

They can however censor annoying ads ala crazy frog with big black box to cover his penis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Blisterman wrote:
    If you dont like the ad, don't eat at KFC.
    I don't and I wont!
    I think more people should adopt this approach. If you see an ad that's really sh!t then take note of the product and never buy it again. Fruice is the latest on my list coz of those stupid "Natural" ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256846

taught this would be apropriate here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

What these whingers that complain don't seem to realise is that thay are playing right into the Advertising Agency's hands. That KFC ad has been talked about on virtually every station this week.. You Just can,t buy that much publicity... BENNETON are a classic example of using the people who hate you the most to do your selling for you.. If you don't want to promote the company the best thing to do is keep it zipped!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Blisterman wrote:
    Well they can't ban an ad for being annoying.

so people make up other excuses which is what happened here, I'd say!

I hate most adverts, except funny ones with Peter Kaye. They're a tool of our consumerist, capitalist, corporate controlled society, endlessly repeated until it sinks into our consciousness in an insidious way, and brainwashes us.

Perfect example is the Sony ad.... the blurb is: "Buy Sony. Better" fairly simple eh? but when that **** lodges in your subconsciousness and in a years time you go to the shop to buy a TV, you look at two almost identical televisions (say Panasonic and Sony), the only difference is the Sony costs more - but you end up buying it because you think Sony are 'better'.

Or kids going around singing "I'm loving it" and dying for a McDonalds.. subconsciously associating feelings of love with the food, or even being told that they love the product, when they may not have. brainwashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hmmm....McDonalds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I used to think in my younger days why the hell companies would spend all this money advetising for something like I used to think "it's not like someone is going to jump up and say I need a box of Daz washing powder"

But as kernal says it get in on your head and takes hold until you're in a shop then pulls you in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I hate that KFC ad. It's so unfunny and they all look absolutely grosteque while they're singing open-mouthed. I don't mean to sound like a prude - but it's just irritating (and not because they're singing with their mouths full), and is a long way from being funny.

Kappar wrote:
    I used to think in my younger days why the hell companies would spend all this money advetising for something like I used to think "it's not like someone is going to jump up and say I need a box of Daz washing powder"

But as kernal says it get in on your head and takes hold until you're in a shop then pulls you in.

Here's an interesting anti advertising website... this article deals with subliminals and placement of images in advertising.. bit lengthy though! :)

http://www.searchlores.org/realicra/sublimi.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

i really hate that ad with the "dumb bloke" who's been given instructions on how to use the tumble dryer,incredibly sexist in my opinion
    will it be banned? probably not will i complain - should i bother?
    will i evr buy the product - no
    then again im a stupid man what would i want with a washing product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Guinness advert was complained about because a lot of people have committed suicide off the cliffs of Moher, and it was seen to me quite insensitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I hate that ad, completely turned me away from ever eating in KFC.

Another ad I think is stupid is that coke one, where the singing woman starts handing people open bottles of coke.
    If you were walking down the street, and some woman singing out loud handed you an open bottle of coke, you wouldn't just go "hey free coke" and take a mouthfull, you probably walk away and refuse the bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hmmmm, nobodies mentioned the HB Magnum ad with the disgusting images.
    I looked at the Advertising standards site and they didn't uphold the complaints.
    Guess theres no point in me complaining now.

http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/detail.tmpl?SKU=20050503170755

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

rkm wrote:
    I looked at the Advertising standards site and they didn't uphold the complaints.
    Guess theres no point in me complaining now.

http://www.asai.ie/newsletter/detail.tmpl?SKU=20050503170755

I know what you mean, that advert does not make me the least bit keen for a magnum. OT - My sister was in Africa a couple of years ago, and some of the countries were not keen on Christian references, so instead of the Magnum Seven Sins range, they called them the Seven Naughty No-No's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

rkm wrote:
    It's not the images on that ad that bother me, it's the sound effects!! The horrible (fake) noise of chocolate being bitten into. Makes me want to puke!
    kernal wrote:
    KFC chips are rotten, and the gravy has gone crap
    urgh.. the words 'kfc' and 'gravy' should never be used in the same sentence :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

what about the M&S advert which seemingly encorages people to have sex with a chocolate sponge.???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I've submitted my fair share of complaints to the ASAI over the years, and I've had a good few upheld. I get the feeling that I'm 'black-balled' as a serial crank and they don't take my complaints too seriously anymore.

The problem with the ASAI is that they have no statuatory powers. They are a self-appointed industry group whose only sanction is to name-and-shame the advertiser. If you have a serious complaint, try the Broadcasting Complaints Commission.

eveybody talking about ads they hate but their are some amazing ads out there. amazing for their appearance more so than their marketing effectiveness.

the citroen ad where the car morphs into a robot/transfomer type things and starts dancing is brilliant.

the new sprite/7 up ad where the basketball players dive into the basketball court is fantastic.

good point about the publicity but i doubt kfc had that in mind when making the ad.

I agree, all this talk of KFC makes me want some now. Even the Peta website makes me want some too.

i posted this some time back on a different forum/thread but its topical so...

theres a burger in kfc called the daddy burger, it contains all things capable of stopping your heart. on the box you get it in it says something like "everything including the kitchen sink".

on the back in small writing is a disclaimer...."the daddy burger does not include a kitchen sink"!

if you dont believe me go buy it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

More money is spend per second on most TV adverts than on some Hollywood blockbusters, let alone the TV shows they surround.
    I love watching them, always have, and now work in the industry.
    The KFC ad, although most complained against, has been huge for them. Just look at all the publicity. That's to die for in this industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Theres sad weirdos who complain about stupid stuff need to get lives!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Theres sad weirdos who complain about stupid stuff need to get lives!!
    Any comments on those people who complaint about people who complain about stuff?

Advertisement