Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Insurance for Self Build

Options
  • 17-05-2005 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

We are soon to get underway with our new house and have started to look around for site insurance (public liability).

I noticed YOP got his policy from FBD, I know of others who have also got policies form them, so I was keen to have a policy with them.

However when my wife 'phoned them today they asked her if we had any existing business with them; when she said that we didn't they basically said they weren't interested.

Does anyone have any experience of any other insurance companies that can cover building sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I got 'Building In Progress' insurance through my broker. Not sure who the insurance company was, but it was about €650 for a year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That is a strange one, we had no other business with FBD when we got ours?

Though we got our house insurance with them also then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

Wright Group Ltd.
    The Bushels Cornmarket Wexford
    (053) 65600

Got my insurance about a month ago 2,800 - covers 24 mths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

Thanks for the replies, I'll get on the 'phone myself tomorrow (didn't have time today!)
    I was only able to make one call today and was told by a broker that they could only offer me insurance against fire flood etc. on site but could not do public liability unless it was under the category of self build insurance which was approx. €5,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Goll..........

That is a heavy number for a one off project, perhaps if you are using an Architect he could double as Project Manager ?

I do know the insurance companies have come down hard on health and safety compliance, our health and safety statement is like a copy of the telephone book, well a small phone book ;)

Each company writes a certain number of policies under different catogaries each year, it could be possible that FBD have reached their limit, I did hear that each office works on different numbers.

My brother got a quote from the Dublin office for car insurance that was crazy, he called one of the Meath branches and got the same cover for half the Dublin office quote, no changing addresses or playing silly games.

He took the FBD quote back to our broker and the usual miracle happened, suddenly the FBD quote could be beaten by almost a €100.00 ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

I agree rooferPete that €5,000 is very expensive to cover a single house.
    I will let you all know how I get on cost wise when I get a few quotes next week.

Had a similar experience to your brother with my own car insurance
    Old company (Royal and Sunalliance) quoted me €1,090
    Hibernian Direct quoted €650

When I to R& S that I was getting an offer of €650 they said the "lowest they could go was €900" which made me think if they could "...go to €900..." at the drop of a hat, they weren't treating me very well with their orig. quote so I left them.

Insurance has this country ruined

Advertisement