Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Television reveals summer programming

Options
  • 17-05-2005 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

From RTÉ.ie

The schedule includes several new factual programmes, including a four-part biopic on former Taoiseach Charles J Haughey and a brand new chat show hosted by 'Prime Time' presenter Miriam O'Callaghan.

'Off the Rails' presenter Caroline Morohan will host 'Chance to Dance', a new talent show, giving one lucky dancer the opportunity to dance professionally.

Documentary shows 'True Lives' and 'Townlands' will also feature this summer, as will Eddie Hobbs' 'Rip-off Ireland', shot before a live audience in Vicar St.

Music programming will include a U2 theme night on Saturday 25 June to celebrate Ireland's biggest rock group's performances at Croke Park as well as the return of 'Coulter and Company' and 'The Daniel O'Donnell Show'.

'Pure Mule', a new drama set in the Midlands, will air in the autumn, along with the third series of medical drama 'The Clinic'.

Sports programming will focus on the GAA Championships, motor sport and horse racing among several sporting highlights.

Why are they mentioning Pure Mule and the Clinic if they are set for the autumn?

Chance To Dance, I don't know. Caroline Morahan is not the greatest presenter.

Coulter and Company, someone in RTÉ needs to be shot and then Mr. Coulter. :mad:

While I think Miriam O'Callaghan is a great Prime Time Presenter, she may just end up being the female version of Pat Kenny. :rolleyes: But I will give her a chance, she was good on the panel after all.

I am getting used to Eddie Hobbs he was useless when he started.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Yawn. Aside from Miriam, who I think is a fantastic presenter, and best imported show ever, Lost (starts RTE TWO, May 23rd, 9pm), there's not too much in there to get excited about...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Dunno - the idea of Eddie Hobbs doing a live show in Vicar St is kinda interesting...I can imagine him now

[Cork Accent]"And you folks in the stalls, you paid how much to sit where you are, and you could have had the same show, and paid half if you'd sat up there. And how much have you spent on drinks?...."[/Cork Accent]

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like the sound of Eddies show, but as for everything else? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Gift Grub done a very good sketch on Eddie Hobbs last week :D , i think the new show sounds interesting as people are ****** off with rip off ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Badabing wrote:
    Gift Grub done a very good sketch on Eddie Hobbs last week :D , i think the new show sounds interesting as people are ****** off with rip off ireland.
    *le sigh* so yet another ****e RTE summer ahead :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

sounds craptacular

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nothing to see here, move along.

Dunno which programme is worse, but probably that dancing programme, which is probably a rip of a similar show on BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Hope daytime TV is good, last year was the only time RTE was ever in my seduale!

I would hate to have forked out to go to U2 and it'll be live on RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

byte wrote:
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Dunno which programme is worse, but probably that dancing programme, which is probably a rip of a similar show on BBC.

"Now guys we need a great name for it so that no one knows we stole it from the BBC. We're giving people the chance, to dance for a living..."

I'd say they spent months coming up with the format!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭masteire

Music programming will include a U2 theme night on Saturday 25 June to celebrate Ireland's biggest rock group's

i cant see anyone sending out a live transmission of a U2 gig -

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

'Off the Rails' presenter Caroline Morohan will host 'Chance to Dance', a new talent show, giving one lucky dancer the opportunity to dance professionally.

Blantent rip off! If only the BBC would sue...and the name is woeful too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

I'm surprised given all U2's promotion of their homeland that they've never really given RTÉ anything decent, such as a live or pre-recorded Irish concert as far as I know. It'd hardly hurt them now...

Miriam's show sounds interesting - Saturday night slot? As long as it doesn't go down in history as another of Carrie Crowley's schemes - the poor woman was burnt alive with over-exposure by the station.
    Miriam is a truly superb presenter, possibly the best RTÉ has considering Pat isn't being allowed shine in the seat he's in. Perhaps they should swap shows...

Her one failing is that she's the crassest yoke to ever appear on our screens save your one on ID. The American slang and twang she uses when asking questions to foreign guests is cringe-inducing - and that Australian questioning tone at the end of sentences etc.
    It's such a let-down. She sounds like a D4 14 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

hehe true enuff.

Nothing there looks promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The Clinic was good edgy drama from RTE which avoided most of the stereotypes of medical soaps on BBC & ITV. Good to see it returning for a 3rd outing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1397794&issue_id=12483
    Summer TV promises politics, sport, sex and sleaze

Now if RTE could only live down to that headline.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

More like
    'Off the Rails' presenter and fat behemoth about town Caroline Morahan will sneer at a hopeless succession of housewives and gay men while flashing her teeth that could eat an apple through a letter box and trotting out a cringe-inducing succession of sex-in-the-city-isms like "you go girl".

If this is the best that Irish 'talent' can produce then god help us all.

Take Morahan and that smarmy ****er Craig Doyle, distract them with a mirror, then beat them to death with used tubes of their own fake tan. *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

while flashing her teeth that could eat an apple through a letter box
    Now that gave a rare and genuine LOL. well done! Certainly more entertaining than I expect anything on that RTE preview list to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

magpie wrote:
    If this is the best that Irish 'talent' can produce then god help us all.

Take Morahan and that smarmy ****er Craig Doyle, distract them with a mirror, then beat them to death with used tubes of their own fake tan. *****.

Genius! I had to film an interview with her once and she was very much of the opionan she was a superstar. Kept talking about how grounded she was and said "in this biz" far too many times.

lol

Im detecting some hostility out there to RTE's 'beautiful people'

;)

Arrrrrgh - KILL HER!!!!

Uggh, she's just, just.....ugghhh *shudder*

She and that smarmy oh so Mr Wonderful Doyle ought to be tied together and sunk.
    'The Craig Doyle Show' indeed - I mean talk about a title doing the opposite of its intended purpose, it repells viewers in their droves acting as a 110d warning siren rather than a shining star drawing them in.

Do the producers actually think there's an audience out there willing to watch a show 70% made up of a smug and greasy idiot with the most repulsive slurring accent desperately trying to look unflustered in the company of 'stars'???
    The only reason this series was comissoned was that during the pitching session in the IPU, Mr Producer winked 'he's from British telly y'know...' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I forget who it was that described a previous RTE schedule as Hell in a Box, but I believe it remains just as relevant. Jesus Holy Christ... 'The Daniel O'Donnell Show' and 'Chance to Dance'... Maybe RTE is trying to force our generation to take to reading again?

ah now Jill, lets not ne knocking Daniel, he is a lovely lad.Ask ur gran ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Tristram wrote:
    Im detecting some hostility out there to RTE's 'beautiful people'
    What?! Gerry Murphy? Katryn Thomas? I've coughed up more attractive things.

Craig Doyle was originally BBC's discovery, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Craig Doyle was originally BBC's discovery, BTW.

And then RTE said. Oh look the guy is doing well over in britain with the holiday show. Maybe we should give him his own show over here. It can be his own Holiday show but where he interviews celebs. We can call it the Craig Doyle Holiday Show. No wait will get rid of the word Hoilday, yeah it will be good oh yeah.

He can interveiw other famous people who RTE didn't find who are making it big on TV around World. Like Amada Brymra, Its the mole that makes her famous you know. :D

Why isn't Amanda getting her own show. ??? Those BASTARDS. :mad:

Joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Miriam is a truly superb presenter, possibly the best RTÉ has
    I hope you are joking ?
    You arent Miriam O Callaghan are you ?
    Firstly she needs elocution lessons ,then she must learn to speak at a voluble tone instead of the hushed lisp she drones in and finally she must dress like a lady and not an 18 year old smacked up slapper.
    I cant stand her along with RTE's inbred nepotistic ways.

I cant stand her along with RTE's inbred nepotistic ways.

You be glad to hear she has 7 kids all lining up to go into RTE.

She isn't that bad IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

In fairness, Daniel does a good job as a chat show host - better certainly than Pat Kenny. Mind you, there's not much competition on RTE.
    Whatever happened Doireann Ni Bhroin (sp?)? She was a good presenter.

Ahh Doireann Doireann Doirean.....

Eh - anyway...

Miriam O'Callaghan - firstly she needs elocution lessons, then she must learn to speak at a voluble tone instead of the hushed lisp she drones in and finally she must dress like a lady and not an 18 year old smacked up slapper.

I totally agree in this respect - and yes her clothes!!! How has nobody yet picked up on this?!! She looks like a teenager dragged out from behind a bicycle shed half the time - the other half she's half a curtain wrapped around her waist, at times replaced by a tablecloth, and others the back bedroom curtains, but mainly the sitting room ones.
    I mean really - the getup of her when standing alongside 'the big screen' beggars belief at times!

But she is excellent at interviewing and she exudes confidence, even moreso than Kirsty Wark I think. You're always secure in the knowledge that should something unexpected happen interview-wise or technically, she won't embarrass the hell out of you trying to climb out of the hole - she'll attack it head-on. She's highly knowledgable and experienced.

But yes her adolescent throwing of her hair about, and 'like' and 'right' etc just has to go. All she needs is a Troll top on her pen, a fussy pencil case and to suck her hair while listening to guests to complete the part :rolleyes:

But yes her adolescent throwing of her hair about, and 'like' and 'right' etc just has to go. All she needs is a Troll top on her pen, a fussy pencil case and to suck her hair while listening to guests to complete the part

If they ever do another impersonation show they should have her in school asking the teacher a question. Have a big TV screen sitting beside,

"Miss I just stop you their and let the Prof. Kelly of Trinty College, get in on that point, Professor, how do you feel about what Miss has just said."
    Kirsty Wark

She could be given elocution lessons, then she must learn to speak at a voluble tone instead of the hushed lisp as well.

I never thought that Miriam O'C had a lisp. Mmmmm will look out for it now. See even her name has a teenage vibe to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Elmo wrote:
    I never thought that Miriam O'C had a lisp.
    I don't think she has compared to Pat Kenny's roving reporter, Valerie Coccsshhh

Advertisement