Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfection (ferrari 4000)

Options
  • 16-05-2005 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

a few day ago my eyes lit up when i saw this. for months i held off from getting the acer ferrari 3400 in the hope i'd see a new one out by the summer. i'd pretty much given up hope and had almost settled for just a basic, run of the mill lappy.

but now :D , now this baby will be mine hopefully by the end of june :D .

AMD Turion ML-37 (2.0ghz, 35W)
    15.4" WSXGA+
    ATI x700 128mb GPU
    1GB PC3200 DDR
    100GB 5400 RPM HDD
    8X Dual Layer DVD Burner (Slot Load :) )
    5 in 1 Card Reader
    802.11b/g Wireless
    Bluetooth

i dont think i can beat that in terms of style, class, specs and weight. 6.3lbs hopefully it'll be around €1900/2000.

plus it's made of carbon fiber which should be stronger and lighter than the usual plastic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

You're right, i would love to get my hands on one of those. I seen the 3400 in my local computer store and that was just over €2000 so i doubt the 4000 will be cheaper than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

I was just going to post about the ferrari 4000.
    I have a 3400 since december, and I've had no trouble with it at all. Plays Farcry and HL2, doom3 etc perfectly.
    I'd much rather the carbon fibre black than the shiny red though, less eye-catching but still very stylish. It's gorgeous. Try get it from the states. I got my 3400 from the States for $2000, which is very good considering the ~£2000 it would have cost in the UK.
    Afaik they can't be got directly in Ireland.
    However it is possible to upgrade the 3400 to pretty much the same specs as the 4000... Apart from the GPU.
    5400RPM seems a bit slow, but afaik the Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 100GB is available or will be available shortly(with a very high price tag, no doubt).

edit; maybe you can get the 3400 in Ireland, according to the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

you can get the 3400 in ireland but it's ridiculously overpriced as in €2200+ even still in some places.

i'll probably get the 4000 from the uk, id love to get it cheaper in the states but for me, all the hassle of importing/ paying in dollars etc just isnt worth it, plus i'd only be saving maybe €100/200. however if it does come in at say €2200+ i'd be looking at the US.

im confident it wont be more than 2k though, apparently in taiwan its around 2100/2200 US dollars so fingers crossed. the black is so much more conservative which is what i like about it, at least it has some degree of modesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

More info at http://www.amdboard.com/ferrari_4000.html
    Why isn't it being shipped with windows 64bit I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

smemon wrote:
    15.4" WSXGA+
    ATI x700 128mb GPU
    1GB PC3200 DDR
    100GB 5400 RPM HDD
    8X Dual Layer DVD Burner (Slot Load :) )
    5 in 1 Card Reader
    802.11b/g Wireless
    Bluetooth

what in particular is so impressive about it?

whats it gonna be used primarily for?

• Advertisement

This would make baby Jesus cry...

ATI Mobility Radeon X700 with 128 MB of external DDR VRAM

what in particular is so impressive about it?

whats it gonna be used primarily for?

i'll use it for pretty much a mixture of everything including your average word, excel,firefoxetc etc to the heavier gaming stuff to video editing, watching dvd's,..the list goes on.

the fact it's WSXGA+, turion with decent graphics (x700 128mb), 1gb standard ram, slot load dvd dual layer, integrated bluetooth, wireless, memory card reader all in a sexy, carbon fiber exterior at a reasonable weight is what draws me to it. plus it can run windows 64bit which i probably wont do but when the time comes at least i'll have that 64bit turion to fall back on.

i'll be honest, i like the look of it and that's probably one of the main reasons im getting it. but it's no slouch at the same time and for me has everything i want/need. provided of course it's not insanely priced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

its ok...i prefer to make custom ones up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

just a thought about getting it in from the US.

make sure you read the small print for warranty. I know some manufacturers wont touch a machine unless it has international business traveller etc etc.

Ive seen Dell machines that have had to be sent back to America because the owner brought them to Ireland and then had a problem but didnt have an international warranty agreement... for that money though Id want 2 international warranty agreements :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

Hey guys..
    I just heard the news for the 4000..
    Sexy!!

My family members have always been a fans of the acer ferrari line..
    My cousin got a Acer Ferrari 3000
    Another one of my cousin got the Acer Ferrari 3200
    And I got the Acer Ferrari 3400..

Anyway.. My Acer Ferrari 3400 is for sale..
    Of course I'm hoping to buy the 4000..
    No matter what the price of the 4000 is..
    Provided I sell my 3400 first though..
    Anyway check out my post for detail for my 3400..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2764590#post2764590
    Give me a message if you're interested

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement

oh ya as for the post made by "smemon"

I doubt it the 4000 will be about 1900/2000..
    It will likely to be about 2200 to 2400 range..
    And probably accessories not included..

Because just before I bought my 3400 around christmas,
    "Beyond 2000" (A shop in dublin) is selling it for 2300 (accessories and upgrade not included yet)..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The Travelmate 8100 floats my boat I have to say:

Mobile Intel® Centrino™ technology with Intel® Pentium® M 760 2.0GHz processor - Intel® 915PM Express chipset - Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200ABG, Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition, 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT display, 128MB ATI Radeon X700, 100GB HDD, 1024MB (2*512MB) DDRII, 56Kbps modem, wired LAN and integrated wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g), DVD-Super Multi, Li-Ion battery

lau1247 wrote:
    oh ya as for the post made by "smemon"

I doubt it the 4000 will be about 1900/2000..
    It will likely to be about 2200 to 2400 range..
    And probably accessories not included..

Because just before I bought my 3400 around christmas,
    "Beyond 2000" (A shop in dublin) is selling it for 2300 (accessories and upgrade not included yet)..

but thats ireland. buy a laptop here and you get screwed in general for the same laptop that costs hundreds less elsewhere. i know a place in ireland that sells the basic ferrari 3400 for €2500 at this very moment!!

i know for sure it will be 2/3 hundred dearer here than the uk at least and the states will be even cheaper. a 3400 in the uk i could get for €1650 atm, so i'd expect the newer model to be around 1900/2000, similar to the 3400 when it was just released. (in the uk of course)

I know that it's expensive in ireland..
    It's basically tax..
    At 21% it is absolutely ridiculous..
    That alone adds 2-3 hundred into it..

When you say that it's cheaper in the uk or states..
    When you get them to post it over..
    How do you pass custom??
    Won't they impose the tax on the laptop anyway??

I remember my cousin once got an Aibo for 800 from the states and he got tax like 200 for it..

Rew wrote:
    The Travelmate 8100 floats my boat I have to say:

Mobile Intel® Centrino™ technology with Intel® Pentium® M 760 2.0GHz processor - Intel® 915PM Express chipset - Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200ABG, Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition, 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT display, 128MB ATI Radeon X700, 100GB HDD, 1024MB (2*512MB) DDRII, 56Kbps modem, wired LAN and integrated wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g), DVD-Super Multi, Li-Ion battery

thats what the ferrari is based on-8104. pretty much the same apart from amd turion. you could get that for ~€2000. im hoping the ferrari 4000 will be similar :) in price

lau1247 wrote:
    I know that it's expensive in ireland..
    It's basically tax..
    At 21% it is absolutely ridiculous..
    That alone adds 2-3 hundred into it..

When you say that it's cheaper in the uk or states..
    When you get them to post it over..
    How do you pass custom??
    Won't they impose the tax on the laptop anyway??

I remember my cousin once got an Aibo for 800 from the states and he got tax like 200 for it..

yeah that's why id be put off by the states because of customs and all that hassle coming into ireland. chances are it'd be caught and they'd slap a few hundred extra on which would cancel out any savings made.

however from the uk, you dont pay import duty and can simply order for the amount shown and no more :D . the joys of being in the EU. so thats why id be buying in the UK.

the intel chipset does not support 64bit OS does it??
    What about battery range?? any idea??

I prefer laptops that can last for a long time..
    Good for long journeys in the bus..

The thing with the turion is that it's more future proof..
    Something to fall back on when the OS switch over is made.. you know?

smemon wrote:
    i'll use it for pretty much a mixture of everything including your average word, excel,firefoxetc etc to the heavier gaming stuff to video editing, watching dvd's,..the list goes on.

the fact it's WSXGA+, turion with decent graphics (x700 128mb), 1gb standard ram, slot load dvd dual layer, integrated bluetooth, wireless, memory card reader all in a sexy, carbon fiber exterior at a reasonable weight is what draws me to it. plus it can run windows 64bit which i probably wont do but when the time comes at least i'll have that 64bit turion to fall back on.

i'll be honest, i like the look of it and that's probably one of the main reasons im getting it. but it's no slouch at the same time and for me has everything i want/need. provided of course it's not insanely priced.

I agree that it is a sexy machine but I think you will be surprised about how poorly the graphics card will perform in gaming..

Also, the Turion does not seem to be anything special but its early days yet..

I agree that it is a sexy machine but I think you will be surprised about how poorly the graphics card will perform in gaming..

Also, the Turion does not seem to be anything special but its early days yet..

yeah i know i could go for the dell 9300 for example for a similar price with better graphics but i dont REALLY need a top notch graphics card even though it would be nice. an x800 would be sweet but i'll settle for the x700.

it's a risk i'll take anyway as the overall ferrari package looks perfect for me and pretty high spec with some sort of future proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The Dell 9300 is *alot* cheaper than that.

• Advertisement

A 9300 with as close a spec as possible is €2,705. The 9300 would have a bigger screen and a better GFX card though.

The thing is, the 6800Go used in the 9300 is vastly more powerful.

Rew wrote:
    A 9300 with as close a spec as possible is €2,705. The 9300 would have a bigger screen and a better GFX card though.

How did you come up with that price? That is the price of a XPS2 with a Geforce 6800 Ultra.

I configured the following:

1.86Ghz Centrino
    1GB Ram (doubled from 512mb for free)
    6800Go
    17inch screen with native res of 1920x1200
    60GB Hard Drive
    8x DVD Writer
    1yr Warranty

For 1,800 euro.

How did you come up with that price? That is the price of a XPS2 with a Geforce 6800 Ultra.

I configured the following:

1.86Ghz Centrino
    1GB Ram (doubled from 512mb for free)
    6800Go
    17inch screen with native res of 1920x1200
    60GB Hard Drive
    8x DVD Writer
    1yr Warranty

For 1,800 euro.

Thats a lower spec to the Acer. I matched them where possible and droped off the warrenty. Dell dont do the X800 ony the 300. Havn't seen any benchmarks of the the Nvidia V's the ATI yet.

anyway, new pictures thanks to someone @ notebookforums .

http://img266.echo.cx/my.php?image=p51803455jq.jpg
    http://img266.echo.cx/my.php?image=p51803463lt.jpg
    http://img266.echo.cx/my.php?image=p51803477oc.jpg

check out that last 1. how can you not fall in love with that. any doubt i ever had has been completely erased now. this is a stunner. :D

Rew wrote:
    Thats a lower spec to the Acer. I matched them where possible and droped off the warrenty. Dell dont do the X800 ony the 300. Havn't seen any benchmarks of the the Nvidia V's the ATI yet.

The 6800 with DDR1 is pretty much comparable to the mobility X800, i.e. it pissed all over the X700.

As far as benchies go, I researched a stupid amount before I bought the XPS2 and the Nvidia cards basically come out on top across the board.

He wants:

15.4" WSXGA+
    ATI x700 128mb GPU
    1GB PC3200 DDR
    100GB 5400 RPM HDD
    8X Dual Layer DVD Burner (Slot Load smile.gif )
    5 in 1 Card Reader
    802.11b/g Wireless
    Bluetooth

Dell offer:

Intel ®Pentium ®M Processor 750 (1.86 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)
    17" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920 x 1200) Display with TrueLife™
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go graphics card, PCI-Express x16
    1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with Software
    100GB (5,400 rpm) Hard Drive
    Intel® ProWireless 2200 802.11b/g Mini PCI Wireless LAN Card
    Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth 2.0 Module

For absolute maximum of € 2,134 incl VAT and Shipping.

If you call them you would get this down below 2,100 without a doubt.

The processor is slightly slower. The screen is superior in size and native res. Far superior graphics card. Same everything else. Battery life of 2 hours and weight just under 8lbs.. The 9300 also looks quite good too.

The Dell would out perform the Acer by quite a fair bit when gaming tbh.

The Acer is better looking though.

Don't forget to bump the CPU to 2Ghz on the dell as well. I do think the Centrino is a very solid platform atm while the Turion has a lot to prove.

Dell offer:

Intel ®Pentium ®M Processor 750 (1.86 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)
    17" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920 x 1200) Display with TrueLife™
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go graphics card, PCI-Express x16
    1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with Software
    100GB (5,400 rpm) Hard Drive
    Intel® ProWireless 2200 802.11b/g Mini PCI Wireless LAN Card
    Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth 2.0 Module

For absolute maximum of € 2,134 incl VAT and Shipping.

i configured those exact specs and came to €2400 exactly. :confused: maybe your going by the free double ram offer, taking it as 512 up to 1gb but atm it's only 256 to 512.

anyhow the 17" screen would be a bit too big, adding unnecessary weight imo. 8lbs is pretty hefty compared to about 6 with the ferrari. it would be nice if i was a getting a dtr but im sort of looking for something in between - not ultraportable but at the same time not a dtr.

the 9300 on a good day as you say i could get for pretty much the same as the ferrari which would be tempting, better graphics, bigger screen, more reliable and tried and tested probably. but with 64bit and those seductive looks i find it hard to resist that ferrari. perhaps if it wasnt coming out within the next month or 2 i could well have been getting the 9300.

but theres just something more exciting/bold about the new ferrari imo. no matter how hard i look/search for something better, im always drawn back to it. i just hope it lives up to expectation.

I imagine you won't be dissappointed to honest..

• Advertisement
Advertisement