Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting British channels

Options
  • 16-05-2005 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

To anyone's knowledge is there a decoder or some such device that can be bought, without the need of a monthly contract, to get the British terrestrial television channels?

I posted this thread in another forum and I was directed here but not before the poster mentioned something called FTA.

What is FTA, is it the one off payment solution to my quest of attaining British terrestrial channels?

I was also told that it is location dependant, will the fact that I live in Kilkenny make it any easier to get these channels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

All BBC channels are carried free to air (FTA) on satellite. This includes all BBC1 and 2 regions, BBC 3 and 4, News24 and CBBC. ITV3 is also FTA but for ITV1 and C4 and C5 you need a Free to View card which can be bought for £20 off sky in the UK (you need an address in the UK to order such a card)

Both these setups are once off payments. You only pay for your equipment (+ a card for FTV) There is no monthly charge.

Off air it is possible to pick up the four main UK analogue channels from the North or Wales in much of Ireland. I am not sure what the situation is in your area.

Hope this helps,
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Do those cards work in any digital receiver, or only in Sky boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Only in Sky boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

is it possible to buy a sky box without a monthly contract?
    and then insert this FTA card..

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

Yes it is, hundreds on sale on Ebay.
    regards
    D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

ShaneOC wrote:
    Only in Sky boxes.
    Not true, will work in Dreamboxes, also with Dragon CAM.
    regards
    D.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

denis1501 wrote:
    Not true, will work in Dreamboxes, also with Dragon CAM.
    regards
    D.
    Yes, that's true, but for simplicity's sake, it's probably best he goes for a Sky digibox, and also have the benefit of interactive services from BBCi etc which don't work on Dreamboxes or receiver with DragonCam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

very interesting

is it only a dragon cam for nds or can a matrix handle it ?

I'm looking for a solution you see. this thread looks like saving me a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

is it only a dragon cam for nds or can a matrix handle it ?
    To my knowledge only Sky Italia NDS cards are handled by a Matrix RL/REV at the moment. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement