Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funniest TV Show Ever

Options
  • 15-05-2005 4:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

What do you think the funniest TV show of all time is?

Personally for me, its got to be Brass Eye. Close behind it is the Day Today.
    The funniest thing from the Day Today for me has to be the "War" thing. Its just so well done. The office training is great too.
    My favourite on Brass Eye, for some reason, is the prison sketch.
    "So when you get up in the morning, what do you do? You get out of bed properly. And that means all the way out of it - get right out of the bed. No half-measures; you must get your whole body out of the bed, right out from under the sheets, right off the mattress, until your standing up. You won't get anywhere slouching about half-out of bed. Do you seriously think that people here wouldn't notice if you were only half out of the bed? Come on - wise up! Did I walk out to bat when I was half-asleep or half-out of bed? Of course not. I bloody well didn't. Remember - the best technique is to look at that bed, and then try and get as far away from it as possible."
    And at the end of the same episode:
    DS: "I, I believe under no circumstances does one human being got the right to take another human being's life."

DW: "No way! Surely?"

DS: "That's my opinion."

DW: "Oh alright, okay."

DS: "I'm not saying it's, I mean, everything's about opinions -"

DW: "Is it? Yes it is. What about capital punishment, for _murder_ only?"

DS: "No I I, I personally believe on moral grounds that no human being can take another humans being's life."

DW: "Well what if you didn't take their life you just, murdered them?"

DS: ".... sssay that again -"

DW: "What if you didn't take somebody's life but just murdered them."

Brass Eye and the Day Today are actually so good, and so much better in every way than any other show that I'll have to skip a few lines before mentioning any other shows.

The Office is dangerously funny too. On a higher level than anything else(but below Brass Eye/the Day Today)on TV. Another British classic is Fawlty Towers, which is pure genius. I still laugh at episodes I've seen countless times.

I think the current funniest show on TV is either Family Guy or South Park. I always see Family Guy as being like 100 jokes per episode, really great jokes though, where as South Park has lesser jokes but then the episode itself is one big brilliant joke, the episode "Jarred has Aids" for example. They're too great to compare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

In this order.

Sitcoms:

Seinfeld, Curb your Enthusiasm, Only Fools and horses (though shown far too much) Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Larry Sanders, Frasier, Brasseye, Red Dwarf, The Office, Day to today.

Kazanaovva, I was nearly pissing myself at that Brasseye joke, but one of my faves is when he told John Mckrick that Peter Suttclife was being released from prison and the gullible fecker believed him. LOL
    or how about Clive Anderson has been shot dead by Noel Edmonds.

"Edmonds was seen at the top of his house with a rocket launcher"

Morris: you probably heard of the shooting
    Boycie: I've heard something about someone being shot.
    Morris: Clive anderson has been shot
    Boycie: CA has been shot?
    Mrris: by Noel Edmonds
    Boycie: what? no!

Animation:

The Simpsons (its declined badly but its was pure genius for several years)
    Family Guy ( giving Simpsons a run for its money, the flashbacks are the best)
    Futurama (started really well but soon began to recycle same types of jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My favourites are...

Brass Eye
    Monkey Dust
    Family Guy
    Darkplace
    Father Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

In no particular order.

Friends
    Simpsons
    Father Ted
    Two Pints of Lager....
    Scrubs
    Futurama
    South Park

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Father Ted
    Family Guy
    Scrubs
    Arrested Development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i found myself laughing ucontrollably at Police Squad last night.. genius

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Father Ted...no contest!

Add a poll and you'll see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭acri

Family Guy and South Park. Far superior on so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The Simpsons, Father Ted, South Park and Alan Partridge (both I'm AP and Knowing Me Knowing You). In that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

The Simpsons and Only Fools and Horses. Both timeless and still keep you laughing everytime you watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Father Ted
    Only Fools and Horses
    Red Dwarf
    Cheers
    Frasier
    Monty Pythons Flying Circus
    Futurama
    Simpsons (in the day)
    Family Guy

plenty more but I'd be here all day :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In alphabetical order:

Arrested Development
    Blackadder
    Brasseye
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Family Guy
    Futurama
    Scrubs
    Simpsons (first few years only!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Ah... How could I have forgotten Arrested Development...

Nothing will beat the day in college when I realised my maths lecturer looked the exact same as Buster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

definatly family guy, father ted, futurama but no one mentioned DEAD LIKE ME brilliant show about grim reapers

ahhhh almost forgot RED DWARF

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aside from 2 or 3 poor years out of 11, Frasier was a brilliant show.
    League Of Gentlemen was brilliant with the exception of the dull third season.
    Simpsons was great in its prime. Family Guy was a great show (not sure how the 4th season is going to turn out). Scrubs is quite sublime, not just for its humour but for the loveable characters. Father Ted is also very funny.

Loads more that I can't think of off-hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

I'm Alan Partridge, Series 1, by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

in no particular order..

Brass Eye
    The Day today
    south park
    seinfeld
    simpsons (not the goddamn new ones!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Kazaanova wrote:
    What do you think the funniest TV show of all time is?

Personally for me, its got to be Brass Eye. Close behind it is the Day Today.
    Me too, although I suspect Chris Morris will never work in TV again after the whole spoof-pedo documentary and subliminally embedding the words 'Michael Grade is a c*nt' in one of the programmes (Michael Grade is now chairman of the BBC!)

Morris' last radio/TV project was 'Jam'. Totally bizarre and unfunny and s(t)ank without trace.

If you like Chris Morris, then you'd like Victor Lewis Smith. You can get most of his early 90's stuff from uknova as it never got released on Video/DVD.

Last, but not least, The Comic Strip! There's a 10+ DVD box set of all The Comic Strip shows plus extras coming out in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

hmm... sorry to go off topic but Chris Morris wrote and directed a TV show on Channel 4 in Feb '05 called "Nathan Barley", didn't catch it myself though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Lochaber wrote:
    hmm... sorry to go off topic but Chris Morris wrote and directed a TV show on Channel 4 in Feb '05 called "Nathan Barley", didn't catch it myself though...
    He co-wrote it with Charlie Brooker and it was critically panned. He certainly won't be doing anything for the BBC as long as Michael Grade is there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

how have none of you put up Married with Children, longest running comedy in america (i think), that program is hilarious!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

the jew wrote:
    how have none of you put up Married with Children, longest running comedy in america (i think), that program is hilarious!!!!

I'd say no one put it up cos it fooken cráp

big fat silly bítch: "hey al"
    (fake audience laughs)
    al (big dopy voice): "huh"
    (fake audience laughs)
    big fat silly bítch: "give me some money"
    (fake audience laughs)

does this in every show

BTW this is not america so who cares if its the "longest running comedy in america"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm Alan Partridge is the funniest TV show ever made bar none!

It's so LOL-enducing that I honestly didn't even remember it had a laughtrack when I bought it because I found myself laughing over every single cue that was inserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Grounded For Life: I really liked the angle it took, it was unique, it showed what happened in flashbacks, and it worked really well!

Red Dwarf: classic if ever there was one
    "We're from the department of alterations*"
    "what do you do?"
    "we alter people"
    "how?"
    "we alter them from being live ppl. to being dead ppl" :D

*I'm quite sure, but not positive, this is the name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

In no particular order; Father Ted, Knowing me knowing you,
    the simpsons, only fools

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alan Partridge -Jurrasic Park!

Ali G- only the first 2 times I saw it and hadn't heard about it, got too "samey" after

Paths to freedom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Father Ted
    Blackadder
    Simpsons
    Fawlty Towers
    The young ones
    The good life

blah blah blah blah blah,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Marts wrote:
    Grounded For Life: I really liked the angle it took, it was unique, it showed what happened in flashbacks, and it worked really well!

Red Dwarf: classic if ever there was one
    "We're from the department of alterations*"
    "what do you do?"
    "we alter people"
    "how?"
    "we alter them from being live ppl. to being dead ppl" :D

*I'm quite sure, but not positive, this is the name of it
    *Ministry of Alterations :)

Red Dwarf

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Father Ted without a doubt. Followed closely by Fawlty Towers, then Family Guy, Southpark and The Simpsons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I know it's just because I only watched it recently, but Peep Show is the funniest thing I'd seen since Brass Eye.

Advertisement