Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psychology books

Options
  • 14-05-2005 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

dont know if this is in the right forum, but i guess it *is* about books so...

started reading games people play by eric berne and am really finding it interesting. consequently im looking to get into reading more... i guess the term is popular psychology?? but no how to change your life in 7 days type books :P i guess i just want to know a bit more about psychology and theories etc. so any suggestions would be good, nothing too heavy, but i dont just mean modern-ish stuff - even some of the 'classics' like freud and whatever :) dont really know where to start with this, had a look on amazon and well all i got up were those self-help things!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

There isn't really a perfectly matched forum. I reckon Science might be the best bet. Maybe a friendly mod will move this.

The classics are worth reading, but even the likes of Man and His Symbols (ed. Carl Jung, mostly articles by Jungians other than Jung) which was aimed at a lay readership is quite heavy, though worth getting into.

You might enjoy People of the Lie which is by Dr. M. Scott Peck, best known for his self-help book The Road Less Traveled but giving the author's views, as a practicing psychiatrist, on the nature of "evil". Can't say I agree with him, but it's thought-provoking stuff, and even his self-helper isn't as skin-crawlingly bad as most.

Or you could go to a college bookshop and pick up a first-year psychology textbook.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I am not sure if this is the type you are looking for, but a book I am reading at present "The Liar’s Tale: A history of falsehood by Jeremy Campbell" gives an interesting account of the mendacity of the Human species - the how and the why people lie and how this part of our culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A first year textbook is the best way to go, they will set you straight and not include a load of bull****. Gazzaniga and Heatherton's Psychological Science is very readable and has some very interesting sections in it. For a lighter read, check out Oliver Sacks' books (especially The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

ok guys thanks for that, i picked up one of the very short intro books on psychology and will give janet malcolm a shot maybe?? but will also see if i can pick up a cheapish textbook - seems like a logical thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Sorry for reopening an old topic but I'm looking at things psychological at the moment :)
    Thought I'd add my own recomendation - American Scientific have a quaterly magazine called "MIND". It's not the easiest publication to find but I've had a look at the last two and find it very interesting indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

For anyone who wants a brief overview of just about every topic in psychology, I'd have to recommend Richard L. Gregory's 'Oxford Companion to the Mind'. It's brilliant imho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Emotional Intelligence is very good.
    ALso, if you're interested in male depression, 'I don't want to talk about it' is a superb book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

For anyone who wants a brief overview of just about every topic in psychology, I'd have to recommend Richard L. Gregory's 'Oxford Companion to the Mind'. It's brilliant imho!

Yes. Agreed.

Advertisement