Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostatic Radiator Valves

Options
  • 13-05-2005 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Our plumber is currently plumbing our house and I had asked him to put TRVs on the rads as he saw fit however I see that he has only done this on the kitchen rad and the hall rad downstairs. The rads upstairs are not yet fitted. I'm curous as to why he hasn't fitted anymore TRV's. I'm aware the they should not be fitted in rooms where the themostat is.
    The house is almost 3000 sq ft and we have it divided into 3 zones.
    Zone 1 is downstairs living area
    Zone 2 is the downstairs bedrooms
    Zone 3 is upstairs

We do not plan on using upstairs for the next few years except for one guest room and as such would like the heating on minimally here unless when we have visitors so would like the option of knocking the heat up in the guset room.We would like all rads up here to be thermostated.

As the TRV's are not expensive and as the system is not wetted surely it wouldn't be too much bother to put TRV's on the other rads?
    Or is it a case of overkill having the house zoned into 3 distinct zones and using TRV's on all rads?
    The intention is also to use programmable thermostats like the Honeywell CM67 as the the stats.

Basically I'm looking for opinions as to the advantages/disadvantages of fitting TRV's to nearly all rads. All opinions gratefully accepted.
    also the TRV's he has fitted are quite big and not the prettiest, any views on decent, aesthetically pleasing TRV's that don't send the price sky high!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Would recommend fitting TRV's on all radiators as they are easer to turn off and on than regular valves. particularly where youse rooms intermittantly i.e.guest rooms. Also would recommend adding a zone for the water tank. Does not make sense to constantly heat a tank of water. Will you put on timers on the zone's so you dont heat the bedrooms during the day / living rooms at night.

The additional cost is small when plumbing the house as againse the trouble trying to add the valves later, water leaks etc...

Zoned my house works out well, only regret I did not fit TRV's on all radiators at the time, never got arround to replacing them 8 years later.

Best of luck with the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jayc

Thanks dingding

Forgot to mention that the water tank is zoned also and yes will be having each zone independetly timed.

Was in house today and saw that the plumber has 2 boxes (20) TRV's in the hot press so will be getting him to throw them on when he comes back. Like you said its much easier to do this now than put it on the long finger cos once we get in there will be a million other jobs to do and this willl fall well down the queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 topdog123

Jayc
    I think you need to leave one rad with out a TRV this so there is always a return flow to the boiler.
    Topdog123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

topdog123 wrote:
    Jayc
    I think you need to leave one rad with out a TRV this so there is always a return flow to the boiler.
    Topdog123

Fit a self regulating bypass valve

Advertisement