Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long?

Options
  • 13-05-2005 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I'm just interested in how long everyone here has been involved in athletics. I myself have been involved 10 years, since I was 6. What about everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I've been involved for about 8 years. I'd been training and competing in Gaelic games and swimming at a high level so never had time for athletics proper, I competed in school and local competitions, but never really trained with a club until I finished swimming when I was 15.

I ran with Leixlip A.C (Now Le Cheile)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Common Sense

Just under 40 years. As an athlete (obviously a long time ago,) coach and official. Still very actively involved and still get great enjoyment from the sport. My earliest memory (although vague) is the excitement created by Delaney's gold medal in Melbourne. I remember listening on the radio to Herb Elliott breaking the world mile record in Santry in '58. After that I remember following the exploits of Noel Carroll, Derek McClean, Basil Clifford, Tom O'Riordan, Derek Graham up to Frank Murphy then Eamonn Coghlan, Ray Flynn, Marcus O'Sullivan, Niall O'Shaughnessy, John Treacy, Sonia, Catherina etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,674 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Common sense, of all your years in the sport, what to you was the geates athletics achievement and who was Track and Fields greatest athlete. My pick would be Carl Lewis in 84 and I'd pick him as greatest track and field athlete...a few close seconds are Michael Johnson, Gebreselaise, El Gerroujh, Seb Coe, Emile Zatopek, Sergei Bubka, Daley Thompson, Morcelli, Wilson Kipketer, Edwin Moses....

Walshb, I wouldn't disagree with any of your selections, but I would certainly add Kenenisa Bekele, Lasse Viren, Roger Bannister (for 'that' achievement). Lewis was probably the greatest. On the female side, leaving suspicions aside, Flo Jo, Marion Jones, Heike Drechsler, Paula Radcliffe, Gail Devers, Astrid Kumbernuss, Sonia, that Check girl that broke the 400m record years ago. I'm probably forgetting loads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Maars

Jesse Owens, Herb Elliot, Peter Snell, Alberto Juantorena...you nearly have to go back to those days if you want to have no suspicions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Johnny Walker anyone?

Gold medal 1500m '76 Olympics
    First man under 3:50 for the mile
    First man to run 100 sub 4 minute miles

You mean Johnnie Walker Gold Label right?

gold label? Me no understand

www.johnniewalker.com

Where's the "Penny Dropping" smilie when you need it...

Ah ok i geddit, very good.

Just realized i never answered the opening question. Ive been involved on and off for the last 10years

• Advertisement

fab atak wrote:
    Johnny Walker anyone?

Let's not forget Marcus O'Sullivan one of a select band of less than half a dozen milers who have run 100 sub-4s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭MartinNutty

Don't know if anybody knew, Walker has Parkinson's disease. Article about Walker and Parkinsons . Tough break for a guy whoose in his early 50s. They guy boke my heart in 1976 when he took out Coughlan in Morntreal. Great athlete and a class act.

fab atak wrote:
    Johnny Walker anyone?

Yeah, Martin. I've known that for a couple of years - really sad.

Advertisement