Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Deals

Options
  • 13-05-2005 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of info on making deals. As far as I am concerned making deals in tournaments be they single table or multi is a part of poker.
    Played in a recent game (was my first time in that particular spot). Having made the final four with three being payed in a two table game a deal was struck between the four players.
    The guy organising the game was very unhappy :mad: with the fact that the players had decided on a deal rather than finishing out, saying it was against the rules of that game. (He didn't know about it until the money was being dished out)
    Now I know you need to respect the local rules etc. but has anyone ever come across this anywhere else? It's not something I ever would have thought to check with the guy prior to doing the deal, but did feel in the wrong afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Talking of making deals at poker i came across a failed attempt in a big ppp tourney last night 12th May for a $12,500 package for the VC £100,000 tournie. No second place prize it was all for the single package in this particular $198 re-buy.
    An Irish lad from leitrim made the final table and ended up massive chip leader with one opponent(an american i reckoned by the sound of the chat).
    The Irish chap from Leitrim had well over 2/3rds of the chips when the american spoke(chat section) for the first time...'wanna do a deal'??. and i like an idiot who was whooping a bit of appreciated encouragement to Leitrim during the final table told him not to(not that he probably cared about my sentiments) but the leitrim said ...'No Thanks' and they played on. After the American lost two blinds in a row he got desperate and said....'loser gets $1,000'......Leitrim lad says 'no thanks'. The american just said 'OK GL'. Couple of hands later the Yank goes 'All in' pre flop and the Leitrim lad calls instantly with AA only to be busted by the americans K Qt that made two pair. Just a few hands later and a few more reversals and the American beats the Leitrim man for the $12,500 VC package.
    Anyway during the earlier 'Do a deal' chat a couple of recently knocked out players were typing 'No deals allowed as its a package'. Id say they were right as i would say that even if the Leitrim man accepted a deal by the player it would not have been allowed seeing it was not a cash prize at stake. I have heard of other sites who facilitate deals(pokerstars) and others who have a policy of not allowing deals(full tilt). All i believe whats needed is to ping a manager and tell him/her the situation and once the players give the say so the manager puts the deal in place.
    Anyway if you hear in the news of any male bodies found swinging from a tree in Leitrim then 4/5f its the Leitrim lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

It will have to be standard for all on-line sites to facilitate players if they want to do a deal. After all what are you paying for? 10% rake for on-line tournies is hugh profit, they all will need to give the last players the option of stopping the clock and distributing the final places prizes as they wish.
    Deals are part of tournament poker and as long as all players are in agreement it should be facilitated by tournament management whether live or on-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

im all for making deals that facilitate everyone. I think everyone at the final table should go away with something. Obviously everyone has to agree, but its only fair that everyone that makes it that far should leave with SOMETHING. At any of the final tables that ive made in the fitz there has always been some sort of a deal made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

MGrah wrote:
    It's not something I ever would have thought to check with the guy prior to doing the deal, but did feel in the wrong afterwards.

Cant see what his problem was personally, if players have put forward the entire prize fund then its completely up to them what gets done with it IMHO

Advertisement