Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooring dilema with renovation/extension

Options
  • 13-05-2005 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I can't get my head around what to do with our downstairs flooring. We're having an extension built over the next 3 months but first we're having some walls knocked down in the existing part of the house. This renovation to the existing house will be done before building starts. I can't decide what flooring to get and what order to get the related work done in. So here goes:

- We have kids and we hate maintenance so we're thinking laminate. Is it cold or noisy though? Would solid wood floorboards be better?

- Is it worth paying for fancy stuff like Quickstep or are the cheaper laminates just as good? We want it to look good and stand up to heavy use without needing maintenance.

- We're also getting new doors, skirting and doorframes fitted. Which should be done first since the skirting needs to be off when laminates are going down?

- We'd like to get the flooring down in the existing part of the house while we have the rooms cleared etc. but would it be crazy to get new floors down when the extension building is going to generate loads more dust over the next few months?

Thanks, so many decisions to be made on this project and this one is reallly bogging us down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

It reads like you need a bit of project management, to fit any floor in what is going to be a building site in few weeks suggests cheap and cheerful for now.

I know Kadman will be the first to pull me on the "Cheap" but lets face it all you need is a surface that is easy to clean until all your building work is finished.

How about a B & Q special or even a Des Kelly's cheapest, B & Q aren't always the cheapest, a glue laminate that can be cleaned, is safe for the kids to play on and it doesn't matter about damage because it's a temporary solution.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Rooferpete, Neverends,

Is it possible to wait until all the building work is done , before you install any floors. It would be a shame to spend money on laminate, that will be replaced after a couple of months. If a temporary floor is needed short term, then Rooferpete s suggestion , as always ( smart beggar ) of cheap material is the way to go.

If you find you have to install the required finished floor and need to protect it during building work. Either cover the floor with cheap sheets of 8x4 hardboard at about 4-5 euro's a sheet, or cover the floor with underfelt to protect it. Good tradesmen will make the effort to clean the area and protect their work as best they can. Messy buggers, should get the door.

kadman :)

Advertisement