Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebrity encounters?

Options
  • 13-05-2005 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever play (online or otherwise) against famed poker celebs? More interested in poker celebs stories than celebs who happen to play poker...yep, 'tis another boring Friday that is just draggin' along...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

ionapaul wrote:
    Anyone ever play (online or otherwise) against famed poker celebs? More interested in poker celebs stories than celebs who happen to play poker...yep, 'tis another boring Friday that is just draggin' along...:)

Saw Gus Hansen in Burger King last summer when the World Champsionships were on in the Merrion. I was getting food before 250 game and I say he was doing the same before the 500 + 500 game in Merrion that night.

Split a 10 yoyo Sit n Go with Jackarama when he was in the Fitz a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭PPP-Pit Boss

ionapaul wrote:
    I played Kevin O'Connel in a STT! Great guy.. he was second out mind you...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Noel Furlong knocked me out of the Fitz €270 with a poker of 3s. Hows that. Hes a gentleman by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

Steve Davis busted my chops in the final table of the HE/O game

Nice guy tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

See DeVore's very well-written journal entry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

played Mike Caro in a $50 heads up match...beat him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Vamos

Played with Devilfish, Isabelle Mercier and Simon Trumper. Isabelle Mercier is a fox :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Sat to Joe Dolan's right in a charity game. I win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Played in a charity tourney against the Hendon Mob. Knocked out Joe Beevers and won my trademark 'Hendon Mob' cap. Ram Vaswani is a great player to watch. They're all pretty sound to talk to aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Played in a tournie with Devilfish, Donocha O Dea, Lucy Rokash and Tony Cascarino amongst others. The only two names you might recognise that I shared a table with are Jonnie (Scandie from last years poker million final, cant quite remember the surname) and ActionJack from Laddies poker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

I have played against Dev a few times. Is his hair not a bona fide celebrity ?

Most of the top pro's are just ordinary people and I have been surprised how many I have met that are genuine good people.

I have played against quite a few, Daniel Negreanu being the most famous. Playing a €70 live STT in France with Marcel Luske and Noah Boaken was the most fun.
    Chopping a WPC satellite with Lucy Rokach was the most rewarding.
    Willie Tann was great company at the table.
    I learnt the most from Daniel Larsson in the WPT.
    Tom McEvoy was the briefest, he was late and arrived in time to knock me out the first hand he played!
    I have played with Tony 'carrier of the true Irish bloodline' Cascarino a few times and he is a nice guy but a bit too fond of his bad beat stories!
    Devilfish had the funniest quote when getting rivered ' You have more chance of fingering the queen than hitting that card...'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I played Kevin O'Connel in a STT! Great guy.. he was second out mind you...

Yeah nice guy Kevin but he has some sniffle going on there!

Waylander wrote:
    ActionJack from Laddies poker.

I seen Actionjack on 'The Pokergodfater' on sky's poker channel. The best thing he said which was a gem was 'You see by betting there you put the doubt in his mind'. Brilliant
    Whats Actionjack like at the tables, i heard he is a bit vocal?.

Samba wrote:
    played Mike Caro in a $50 heads up match...beat him :)

Where and why was Mike Caro playing $50 heads up.
    The other day he sat alone at a $500 heads up online table for ages. Nobody wanted to take him on so he left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

The very first Fitz 270 game I played I had Noel Furlong to my right and Roy Brindley and Alan Betson to my left.... not quite as hard as it sounds because at least you can play (crap) cards against them! (Knocked Noel out of that and the next 270 game as well, so that felt good! And, yes, he is a really good guy). Most guys here would have played against Steve Davis and Ken Doherty at some stage, I reckon. Not quite up to Shortstacks range of opponents, but beggars, choosers, etc!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have played with Tom Murphy of Paddy Power Poker...you no the one who wrights those "expert" articles that fill up your inbox.Nice guy.

Others I have played with...the usual Fitz Celebrity regulars Noel Furlong,Ken Doherty,Steve Davis,and Stephen Hendry.I have also played with alot of former Liverpool players/legends such as Ian Rush and Neil Ruddock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

It was yonks ago on the tribeca tables, he was sat at the 500 table and no one was playing so I asked him to play for $50 to which he agreed, v.nice guy who is very helpful when it comes to advice and questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

who hasn't played against Steve Davis??!! He is a bit of a rock as a player...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

Well he's not always a rock....he's just only got 2 speeds....rock like and ultra loose aggressive...

Nic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Benglian

I was in a €150 rebuy supersattelite at the Merrion last year and was on the same table as Lucy Rokach, and made her rebuy 3 times...then, just after the end of the rebuys she was down to just two 25 chips, was allin on the blind twice in a row and came back to put me out in 4th place at the final table ! Devilfish was there for a little while as well, and i thought he was rather uncouth the way ke was speaking to LR.
    Played a cash game in Amsterdam with Marcel Luske, but that was before I knew who he was. I do remember being VERY impressed by the big roll of €500 notes he peeled one off of to buy in. That was a 10/20 Limit Omaha game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Benglian wrote:
    I was in a €150 rebuy supersattelite at the Merrion last year and was on the same table as Lucy Rokach, and made her rebuy 3 times...then, just after the end of the rebuys she was down to just two 25 chips, was allin on the blind twice in a row and came back to put me out in 4th place at the final table ! Devilfish was there for a little while as well, and i thought he was rather uncouth the way ke was speaking to LR.
    Played a cash game in Amsterdam with Marcel Luske, but that was before I knew who he was. I do remember being VERY impressed by the big roll of €500 notes he peeled one off of to buy in. That was a 10/20 Limit Omaha game.

That was my first big cash. After you were knocked out we did a deal and I took €4200 Lucy & Tom Hanlon took €5000 each. If I remember correctly you ran into my Aces at the final table :D
    that was also the tournament where Andy Bloch's chips went missing when colouring up!

Advertisement