Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merrion 200+20

Options
  • 13-05-2005 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Last night I ventured back to the merrion after not having played a tourney in there til last summer at some stage. I ran into Dave O'C and Kevin M outside and couldn't resist playing.

Not much had changed since I was there the last time. Still have those horrible chips. (This isn't going to start into a Merrion bashing thread, at least that's not my intentsion (sp?)). One of the good points was that all the dealers seemed quite decent and knew what they were doing and were able to keep the game going.

Then a couple of odd things happened. When moving tables the tourny director seemed to be moving people to the seat closest the big blind. So no only did the player moving get the disadvantage of moving tables but they also didn't have too much time until they had to defend their blinds on a totally new table. A little unfair I thought.

Another ruling about moving chips over the line while not placing them on the felt was made later which was kind of bizare. Player has amount to call raise in his hand and moves his hand over the line in the air but they haven't touched the blind he has already posted. Dealer and tourny director that he is deemed to have called the raise by moving his chips over the line even thought they never touched the felt on the other side of the line. Found that a little odd.

No that I've gone through the little niggly bits of organisation. The tournament as a whole was run pretty well for the time I was there but it was a little small. Only 5 tables. I think I prefer to be playing in a bigger field with a bigger prize pool in this kind of game. At least there's some big prize to shoot for :) From what I can gather the numbers seem to be dropping for most of their tournaments while the Fitz is going from strength to strength , so much so that they are struggling to hold all the players for some tournaments with upstairs being closed. I honestly don't know what I feel about this. I'd still like the Merrion to be there but they seem to be lacking the ability to draw in big numbers for their tournaments :/

They are running a WSOP satelite the next time the 200 game is on and one or possibly two more after that. I'm not too sure. But after the satelites are over with they are chaning their 200 game to a monthly 500 game instead. It will be interesting to see if this game catches on. I don't know if there is an interest for this size of a monthly game but only time will tell I guess.

Anyone know who won it or who were the top few?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Thanks for the report. Monthly €500 game? I have to say that this will definitely be way out of my league - might visit the WSOP sats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

ionapaul wrote:
    Thanks for the report. Monthly €500 game? I have to say that this will definitely be way out of my league - might visit the WSOP sats though.

Think i saw something like 300+20 for WSOP but that could of been something a little differnet

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

For our events when breaking tables the next player on the big blind is moved, and comes in on the new table nearest the big blind.
    Advantages are that no one who has just posted big blind is moved and at another table has the b.b again.
    Regarding the movement of chips over the line but not dropped, this year the E.P.T events classed that as a all in, this was introduced by Thomas Kremser, to stop players from trying to get reactions from opponents
    However when more than one player made this move and then argued that they did'nt know the rule, but then proceeded to show their AA when held to a all-in.
    I have being told that because of this the rule is now under consideration, as it is having a reverse effect.
    I think the €500 is a good move for the Merrion, they badly need to re-establish themselves, and the p[layers are certainly around to fill a monthly 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Merrion getting some harsh press recently - They are holding some great tournys and sometimes I prefer a smaller field. Better chance of making the money and finishes up b4 it's bright outside!

I'll certainly be giving the 500 a go - well at least a satellite for it anyway. I'd say there will be a market for it.

lasted 20 minues in the 220 last night... i had Kd10d. Norman bets 10 times the BB preflop and straight away I call. Flop 10 6 4, Norman overbets the pot. I call. Turn K (Norman str8 away shouts 'All in' and I have my chips in b4 he does!!) Norman shouts F*** and shows 55.... His mood improved somewhat by the time the river showed its ugly face..

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

For our events when breaking tables the next player on the big blind is moved, and comes in on the new table nearest the big blind.
    Advantages are that no one who has just posted big blind is moved and at another table has the b.b again.
    Regarding the movement of chips over the line but not dropped, this year the E.P.T events classed that as a all in, this was introduced by Thomas Kremser, to stop players from trying to get reactions from opponents
    However when more than one player made this move and then argued that they did'nt know the rule, but then proceeded to show their AA when held to a all-in.
    I understand the rule about moving the next BB. I ran enough tournys in the fitz when i worked there. The problem I had was that they would move the next big blind to the position closest the big blind on their new table instead of furthest away.

Didn't know about the EPT rules. I just think it's stupid to say that a player is all in cuz there chips are over the line even if they haven't touched the cloth. I know of lots of players when short stacked pick up their whole tank and just drop off their call over the line.
    ocallagh wrote:
    Merrion getting some harsh press recently - They are holding some great tournys and sometimes I prefer a smaller field. Better chance of making the money and finishes up b4 it's bright outside!

I'll certainly be giving the 500 a go - well at least a satellite for it anyway. I'd say there will be a market for it.

lasted 20 minues in the 220 last night... i had Kd10d. Norman bets 10 times the BB preflop and straight away I call. Flop 10 6 4, Norman overbets the pot. I call. Turn K (Norman str8 away shouts 'All in' and I have my chips in b4 he does!!) Norman shouts F*** and shows 55.... His mood improved somewhat by the time the river showed its ugly face..

Heard about that Niall. Hard luck. Norman didn't last much longer when he kept betting into a made straight and then called off the rest of his chips to the all in when he hit two pair.

I didn't mean to give any bad press at all. I was just commenting on my experience going back into the merrion after a long time of not being in there. I quite enjoyed last nights tourny. Even if I think i played crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Sorry - wasn't attacking your thread!! You were just pointing out the facts, all of which I completely agree with! I saw one or two strange decisions at the previous thursday event... They have improved a lot though!

Do you know who won it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yeh everybody seems to be losing interest in the Merrion. I feel the same myself, but i dont know what it is! I just prefer playing in the fitz. I do think that the Merrion 200 game is pretty good. with only 50/60 runner you have a much better chance of making the money as compared to the fitz 120+ runner big tournaments.

Won a ticket last monday for tuesdays 100 game, so perhaps that will be alright. i think there is usually about 80 runners so it should be pretty good

Advertisement