Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Change To Two Speed?

Options
  • 13-05-2005 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    just wondered if anyone new how easy it would be to change my TSN-4 from a single to a two speed?
    :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I thought a TSN4 was 4WD 2-speed ..... no matter.
    Anyway, it's not hard to change them over.
    The clutch bell and spur gear parts must be upgraded. Standard parts available to do it. The clutch part is low cost. The 2-speed unit can be dear though.
    Doesn't take long to fit the parts, but adjusting the speed (rpm) at which gear change takes place can be quite fiddly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Hi coolwings
    I have seen the 2 speed unit, it looks like two cogs on a shaft. The clutch bell then has two cogs too it also. What happens to make the car change from first to second gear. From the picture it looks like both sets of cogs are meshed? Do you need a extra servo and button on the remote?

dts wrote:
    Hi coolwings
    I have seen the 2 speed unit, it looks like two cogs on a shaft. The clutch bell then has two cogs too it also. What happens to make the car change from first to second gear. From the picture it looks like both sets of cogs are meshed? Do you need a extra servo and button on the remote?
    No extra servo is required.
    Both spur gears are meshed but there is a device which disengages one spur gear and lets it freewheel.
    Then at a pre-set rpm the device engages the higher gear.
    It works by centrifugal forces pushing a lever as rpm goes up.

Cheers for that,
    I think I will order th parts and have a go. It sounds easy enough.
    Thinking of looking for a uprated motor as well.

Do you think it would be easy to fit this into my TSN4?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19168&item=5976916427&rd=1
    Are all the spindals the same so you can fit your clutch onto any motor?
    I know the manifolds are different but I think you can get adaptors.
    As it is a Thunder tiger engine I assume that the engine mounts are the same?

• Advertisement

Sorry dts, can't advise without actually handling & examining the bits.
    You've got to look very closely to avoid small but significant compatibility problems, like what if it doesn't fit, and if they are present you will need good building skills to overcome them. Not so bad for me, but how about yourself?
    Knowing what model racers do with their gear, I don't want used parts .
    I value the LHS . If you don't want to LHS it, or don't have a good LHS, try to stick to the makers formula of the part nos listed in your manual, and you should hopefully avoid making potential troublesome buying mistakes. :)

Cheers for that,
    I dont mind making small mods but dont want to stray too far from the origonal.
    There are no LHS in Mullingar so I find ebay or online shops the best place to get parts. I am always on the lookout on ebay for a bargin!
    As for fuel I have to get that when I am down near Dublin.

Advertisement