Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips for driving test

Options
  • 12-05-2005 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

i live in loughrea, which has the shortest waiting time for the test in the whole country, so mine is coming up pretty soon, anyone got any tips / funny stories / prime bribing opportunities for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

observation, observation, observation! and don't let the b***ards grind ya down ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

If you stall it you can still pass, I did! Just stay calm, and if your not sure ask them to clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

Get a pre-test lesson or three on the actual test course and during the test act a little stupid/slow to make sure the tester explains themselves clearly. Oh yeah, as astec123 said stay calm !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

If the queue gets any shorter - try, try and try again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Even if you clatter a curb taking a left hand turn you can still pass! Just drive normally, do not drive ultra cautiously or you will not pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

when reversing around a corner, line up (in your wing mirror) the two handles on the doors with the curb

try to keep the imaginary line between the two handles and the line on the edge of the curb straight

if it goes like this / \ then you need to turn right to bring in the back
    if it goes like this \ / then you need to turn left to push out the back

worked a treat for me

also make your observations OBVIOUS, even if you "know" there is no other car comming (the voice of experience here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

As already said, good observation, get out there at a nice speed and if something is slowing you down and you get a chance to pass it, then overtake it. Learn the observation method on Roundabouts and dont forget it, well easy to pick up points if you forget this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Well known hints are
    To put your rear mirror a little off so as to make it obvious when you are using it....there is no point in flicking your eyes, the tester will not see this, you need to move your head.(I know a girl that failed for this reason!)

Reverse out of your parking space with the instructor, as opposed to driving straight out.

I tipped the edge of a small roundabout when I was doing mine and passed.
    I had driven over 60,000 in the space of a few years so I was not too nervous.The tester did pull my up on coasting(I think). Where you ride the clutch to a stop. Also I was not observant enough when chaning lanes on a roundabout

I definitely think you should get a mock test run with a local driving school.
    I did this and they pulled me up on a few things, which definitely made the difference(and this was one hour before the test!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

If someone steps out in front of you, stop, let them cross but DO NOT motion them to cross. If you motion them you will fail as you could be telling them to walk in to traffic overtaking you. Let them be responsible for either walking out in front of you or not. My friend failed because she waved at a mum and a buggy to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marydm

If anyone is looking for an instructor, I’d highly recommend Andy Moore! I had failed previously and couldn’t have passed without him! Very calm and knows his stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Marydm wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for an instructor, I’d highly recommend Andy Moore! I had failed previously and couldn’t have passed without him! Very calm and knows his stuff!

13 years and you reply now.... I would guess they passed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

13 years and you reply now.... I would guess they passed

They could be like this guy here :D

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/weird-news/after-33-attempts-14-instructors-10092175

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »

I would guess he is still somewhat useless at it but got lucky ;-)

Advertisement