Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for Planning?

Options
  • 12-05-2005 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I have been asked to draw a house/fill forms for planning permission only. I am a qualified civil engineer and quite good with autocad. The plans are from an Irish book with some changes so no issues with building regs or copyright, the site is good drainage wise and in a county that does not yet require PI insurance for percolation tests, as far as I can see a very simple and staight forward planning application,
    My problem is, how much do I charge? what is the norm.
    They are a very nice couple getting married shortly, so I dont want to charge to much, but I dont want to sell myself short either.

PS I tried phoning a few architects, but could not get a straight answer.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Up to you lad, have heard quotes from 500 euro to 10% of the value of the build!!

I had a good mate who did my drawings so I cannot answer correctly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

bofs wrote:
    I The plans are from an Irish book with some changes so no issues with building regs or copyright,

PS I tried phoning a few architects, but could not get a straight answer.

Hi,
    How do you know your changes are not going to impact on building regs. Are you sure there is no infringement on copyright, if you are using some one elses plan as a starting point, its very hard to define where his ideas end, and your changes on his plans become yours. Unless you are fully conversant with current building regs, you may leave yourself open to problems further down the line. If you are not aware of regs relating to stairs, window sizes, window cill heights in dormers ect, are you sure that your changes wont affect some of these.

Its very commendable that you want to help this couple as best as you can. But be careful that your good deed does not backfire on you. Its probably understandable that architects will not enlighten as to their charges. I suppose you could approach it from an architectural technicians rate of salary , which ranges from 12 -20 euros an hour. Also remember your employment contract may stipulate that any cad drawn by you is automatically copyrighted by your employer. And if you draw or use his computer/software, he owns your work.

:) Just a thought.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

Got mine drawn up by a guy working for Eircom lasts xmas - 2000 for the plans + filling out planning application paper work - Tipperary - easy to talk to and discuss changes to my original ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

i paid 300 for plans for semi-detached (2 mirror images). I drew them up to scale first with markings for power etc.. architect came out and dome technical checks on levels etc...
    great to deal with so not all are expensive!!

Advertisement