Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20€ Fitz

Options
  • 12-05-2005 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

Who won the 20€ re-buy in fitz last nite? standard good?
    Heard it was simular to the free rolls, only the students were replaced with working men...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

The standard in this event is pretty much piss poor. One calling station at my table hovered in the chips, the old rule still stands: The worse the call, the luckier they get. Calling all-ins with J3 is usually a -EV play but there's one or two experts that play this tournament who read in a book somewhere(probably written by Mark S.), that suited cards adds 40% to their chances. I know the club can do nothing about the standard of the players but they could have a look at the structure of the tournament.

I understand the tournament has to finish off at a decent time but the 15 min clock after the break is abit of a joke. For a tournament that most people invest €65 - €85, a 15 min clock is just too short. It also seems 1 or 2 levels are skipped out too. At the break I had a decent enough stack but soon enough without hardly playing a hand, I had less than *10 BB's. Basically any decent hand you get after the break you have to commit to 100%.

I can't see myself playing this one again unless the structure is changed, maybe they could start it at 6:30 and put a decent structure in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I totally agree with you on that one Davey. Most of the re-buy tournaments apart from the Friday night one are just total gamble fests requiring you to commit your entire stack at the first mediocre hand. As a result any skill element is eliminated because if you don't win 100% of the hands you enter you're pretty much destroyed. The idea of reducing the blind levels to 15mins after the break together with the skipping of some of the blind levels just kills the game. Where's the point of investing €65-85 into a game when the structure doesn't allow you to wait for a hand and trap some of the fish at the table?
    In general I think the Fitz could improve the structure of all their tournaments by increasing the blind levels in the latter stages of the tournament. For instance although the Friday night re-buy tournament has a favourable structure with 20 min blinds and a decent amount of chips in circulation, this also become a bit of a joke when it gets down to the final 2-3 tables. As with all the Fitz tournaments when you get down to the final few tables the blinds are often so high in comparison to the chip stacks that it's really an all-in or fold situation. There's practically no chance of seeing multi flops with playable hands not to mention any kind of manoeuvrability in terms of implementing supplicated plays. As a result any discrepancy in the quality of the remaining field is eliminated to a pre-flop all-in or fold decision. What the Fitz needs to do is increase the blind levels to 30 minutes once the blinds hit the 1k/2k mark. In this way the blinds won’t be such a dominant factor in the latter stages of the tournament and players shouldn’t have the same requirement to force suboptimal hands in order to pick up a few blinds in the efforts of surviving for another orbit or two. This improved format should also improve the standard of the players and thus the standard of the game in the long run as players will be forced to improve their hand reading capabilities and decision making processes.
    Granted the increased blind levels in the closing stages of the tournament will increase the duration of the tournaments slightly but I think it’s something that needs to be done to improve the game as a whole. Let players who skilfully and patiently weave their way through the tournament field for hours be rewarded once they get to the final stages of the tournament rather than forcing them to play the first playable hand they see and then hope it stands up to a barrage of bad beats and lucky draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

When you buy in to a tournament, you should be aware of the structure. If you can't play due to the tournament structure, then there is something lacking in your game. Why is it that many of the same people are to be found regularly at the final table? A lot of them play more, but some of them are still making final tables in the fitz proportionately more times than luck should allow. Learn something about optimal short stack play or don't bother playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Calling all-ins with J3 is usually a -EV play but there's one or two experts that play this tournament who read in a book somewhere

lol. Actually the suited camel-ball-licker has recently been added to Skalnsky's Group 1. I raise and reraise preflop with it even unsuited all the time. :p

Check out this HH. Fear the ultimate power of the CBL.

We were down to 50 at this point...next one out gets $49...everyone else an entry to the $215...

PokerStars Game #1618914081: Tournament #7274544, Hold'em No Limit - Level X (400/800) - 2005/05/01 - 14:09:38 (ET)
    Table '7274544 1' Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: Turntime (8176 in chips)
    Seat 2: PepperKitty (12100 in chips)
    Seat 3: BirdWings (861 in chips) will have 11 chips left after he posts the BB and ante...no one else close enough to the bubble line to make a fold worthwhile - he's gonna have to play this hand...Seat 4: spikiemikie (7988 in chips)
    Seat 5: tranquilo (5590 in chips)
    Seat 6: Droby (2175 in chips)
    Seat 8: Player X (8735 in chips)
    Seat 9: Loosehal (3900 in chips)
    Turntime: posts the ante 50
    PepperKitty: posts the ante 50
    BirdWings: posts the ante 50
    spikiemikie: posts the ante 50
    tranquilo: posts the ante 50
    Droby: posts the ante 50
    duquedelsol: posts the ante 50
    Loosehal: posts the ante 50
    PepperKitty: posts small blind 400
    BirdWings: posts big blind 800
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Player X[]
    spikiemikie: folds
    tranquilo: folds
    Droby: folds
    BirdWings said, "byebye guys" or so he thinksduquedelsol: calls 800
    Loosehal: folds
    Turntime: folds
    PepperKitty: calls 400
    BirdWings: raises 11 to 811 and is all-in

duquedelsol: calls 11
    PepperKitty: calls 11
    *** FLOP ***
    PepperKitty: checks
    duquedelsol: checks
    *** TURN *** [Qs]
    PepperKitty: checks
    duquedelsol: checks
    *** RIVER *** [Qd]
    PepperKitty: bets 800
    duquedelsol: calls 800
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    PepperKitty: shows [Ad 6s] (a flush, Ace high)
    duquedelsol: mucks hand
    PepperKitty collected 1600 from side pot
    BirdWings: shows [3c Jd] (a straight flush, Nine to King) FEEL THE POWER!!
    BirdWings collected 2833 from main pot

Two hands later and he makes it...

Advertisement