Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teaching irish to catalans!

Options
  • 12-05-2005 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

hey! my boyfriend is catalan, and gets a great kick out of learning irish. i usually slip some words into conversation, like leaba.etc, and its so funny when i hear him use the words later in the day. anybody else got some words that irish people slip into english conversations that i can teach him? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Fonn leathair ort?

Wanna f**k? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

what does that mean? *shocking display of ignorance*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

keevita wrote:
    what does that mean? *shocking display of ignorance*

Say it to your boyfriend and see what happens. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

My last GF was from London but I had her speakin lotsa Irish.
    Try "oscail/dún an doras" (open/close the door) or "brostaigh ort" (hurry up) and "suas/sios an staighre" (up/down stairs). i dunno how u spell them but try sayin please and thank you in irish. they're slightly more advanced for non natives compared to us native speakers ;). oh ye and if ur late say u'll be there in a cupla noiméad and u were delayed coz u were havin a cupla focal with ur mate in the siopadoreacht. also ask does he want a cupán tae. jaysus never realised how much i talked to her as gaeilge. sure i can barely speak it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

my Argentinian fiancee now tells our baby daughter to drink her bainne! quite funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

diarmuidh wrote:
    my Argentinian fiancee now tells our baby daughter to drink her bainne! quite funny!
    cute. i actually used to work in a irish bars kitchen in the states with two mexican women and they would always be dropping in words like that, bainne being a favourite!

Advertisement